Discussing a Club Championship

So I have some extra time to kill at work and I have been thinking about a club championship.

What would you all think about having a yearly event that determines our club champion? 

Rough idea for the event would be a long form event. A regular season where players match up and play games, which games will come in a moment, and then follow it up with a champion tournament.

Think of things like the Omegathon from PAX but with tabletop games.

The season would have players matched up and play a specific game that round. One round could have everybody playing a specific game like Blood bowl/40k,ect. The next round could have the players deciding a game to play together. We could even have a list of games and have the games selected at random. 

Once the season is over, we create a playoff bracket and award a champion. The games played in the championship should be determined by the club or hell even random if we want.

This type of thing was very fun back when I played in Couer D'Alene as part of the 40k Fight Club, so many years ago.

We could put up an entry fee or even use club funds to create a solid trophy or trophies to display. Think the Shiva but for the Warhamsters. 

So I know this is a daunting task and at this point I would love to hear if this is something I should pursue and put up at the next meeting? I am willing to commit to run it for the first year or two to get it going as well. So thoughts?

• Like 3

I can't say anything about specifics without knowing more, but I'd really love something like this to happen. Am I right to think of it as the nerd Olympics? The important thing would be to make sure, a diverse a group as we are, that folks don't get penalized for not playing a certain game. So maybe one round is "miniature game" where folks are paired randomly and determine a mutual minis game with that opponent. Or folks are paired in 4 s to select a mutually agreeable 4-player board game (from a predetermined list of approved games).

To channel my inner 6th grader, I can't but help but imagine The Game in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. Would love to come up with a matrix like that for nerd games.

In short, this is a Damn Good Idea and we should talk about it more.

• Like 2

I can't say anything about specifics without knowing more, but I'd really love something like this to happen. Am I right to think of it as the nerd Olympics? The important thing would be to make sure, a diverse a group as we are, that folks don't get penalized for not playing a certain game. So maybe one round is "miniature game" where folks are paired randomly and determine a mutual minis game with that opponent. Or folks are paired in 4 s to select a mutually agreeable 4-player board game (from a predetermined list of approved games).

To channel my inner 6th grader, I can't but help but imagine The Game in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. Would love to come up with a matrix like that for nerd games.

In short, this is a Damn Good Idea and we should talk about it more.

Indeed. It would likely be a Board game round or even slim it down to miniatures skirmish or massive battles game round. Something with enough room for nearly all of us to move around in, but still hold a theme. That would be the idea for the 'regular season.'

I think that once you hit the playoffs, the games should be more narrowed down to a specific game. Just to create a more even playing field, though some practice games should be allowed of course. 

Sounds like there is enough interest for me to write up a solid proposal. Ill get it ready in the coming weeks. Not sure when the next meeting is, but either then or on here we can fill out the details.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.