Club Championship Details 1st Draft

Ok what follows is my first draft at the Club Championship details. 

Let me know what you all think. The big questions I have are the game categories and length of the whole thing. 

Club Championship

The intent of the Club Championship is to crown a champion of gaming for the year. This event will encompass the majority of the types of games we play as a club. A short season followed by a tournament.

Each round players meet and play a game either determined by the club, randomly, or by the players.

The club championship will run for 3 months, typically in the spring.

Season

Each player will start the season by ranking themselves in each game category from 1 to 5 using the following as a guide.

1- A category you play regularly and feel you have mastered.

2- A category you know quite well and feel you could teach most games

3. A category you have played and feel you can play without reading the rules too much.

4. A category you have only played a few times and would need to brush up on

5. A category where you have rarely or never played. A true beginner.

These will be used to determine the pairings for each round. The intent is to match up people with similarly skilled players. As with all things, rule number one here is to not be a tool, honestly rank yourselves to get a fun and fair game, not to game the system for an easy win. While this is a competition, we also want to have fun as a group.

The game categories suggested (See Appendix A for games and category suggestions):

1. Long board games (4+ hours 1 win)

2. Standard board games (1/2-3 hours best ⅔ suggested)

3. Card/ Deck-building  games (best ⅔ or 3/5 )

4. Miniature skirmish games (best ⅔ suggested)

5. Miniature Battle games (1 win suggested, ⅔ may be ideal if time allows)

The players are tasked with determining the exact game, within the category, to play for that round. If no consensus can be reached, the Organizer lead will determine the game by whatever method they deem fit, coin toss, battle royale, etc.

Multiplayer games are allowed to be played in any round if agreed on by each participant. In such case, the winner will be the player who scored the most points in such game between the two participants, even if they do not win the overall game. This may be murky for each game, contact the Organizer with questions before the round is played if possible.

Each category will have a win requirement. For example, a long board game would typically require one win and a card game may require a best 2 of 3. These will be determined by the participants individually. Any disputes or issues can be resolved by the Organizer by their choice, coin flip, voodoo ritual, ect.

Each Round will take 2 weeks to complete. The season will consist of 4 rounds, taking roughly 2 months to complete. Each player is expected to be able to commit to at least one game session in each 2 week period.

Playoffs

The playoffs will determine the club champion. The number of players in the playoff will be determined by the overall number of participants. Typically this will be ½ or ¼ of the participants based on size. For example a 16 person season would aim for an 8 team playoff. A 32 person season would aim for 16 players as well.

16 players would be a single elimination round, with rounds lasting only 1 week. The aim would be to have the playoffs last roughly one month. Players who cannot play during the playoff week will need to get the approval of the tournament organizer or forfeit that week.

Games will be determined at the start of the playoffs by all participants in the league. The playoffs will use specific games, though each round will give opponents two choices to play. Each option will be from a different category than the other in the round. Some options may duplicate round to round.

For Example:

Round 1 Pick Warhammer 40k or Blood bowl

Round 2 Pick Twilight Imperium or Munchkin

Each tournament round needs to be witnessed by two individuals outside the game that belong to the club, though do not have to participate in the league. Should any questions arise about the legitimacy of the round, these individuals will help to give a witness account.

Appendix A

Game Categories and sample games

(Note: Some categories you may observe that are missing such as the RPG, modelling and painting. These are too difficult and subjective to determine a ‘winner.’ Such things should have their own event to determine)

Long board games (4+ hours 1 win)

(Can be played with multiple players, if one of the tournament players is not the winner, go by points scored)

• Twilight Imperium

• Decent

• Star Wars Imperial Assault

Short board games (½ -3 hours best ⅔ suggested)

(Can be played with multiple players, if one of the tournament players is not the winner, go by points scored)

• Puerto Rico

• Agricola

• Kill Dr. Lucky

• Hive

Card/ Deck-building  games (best 2/3 )

• Munchkin

• Dominion

• Star Realms

Miniature skirmish games (best ⅔ suggested)

-Infinity

-Mordheim

-Blood Bowl

-X-wing

Miniature Battle games (best ⅔ suggested)

-Warhammer 40k

-Kings of War

-Battlefleet Gothic

-Warmachine

• Like 1

Long board games: 4

Standard board games: 4

Card/ Deck-building  games: 4

Miniature skirmish games: 3

Miniature Battle games: 4

Guess who's got two thumbs and ain't going to be club champion?

1411507010733.gif

Not true mate. You could still play against other like minded folks and make it in the playoffs. Then it's just a few games to learn lol.

Appendix A

Game Categories and sample games

(Note: Some categories you may observe that are missing such as the RPG, modelling and painting. These are too difficult and subjective to determine a ‘winner.’ Such things should have their own event to determine)

Long board games (4+ hours 1 win)

• Twilight Imperium

• Decent

• Star Wars Imperial Assault

Short board games (½ -3 hours best ⅔ suggested)

• Puerto Rico

• Agricola

• Kill Dr. Lucky

• Hive

Card/ Deck-building  games (best 2/3 )

• Munchkin

• Dominion

• Star Realms

Miniature skirmish games (best ⅔ suggested)

-Infinity

-Mordheim

-Blood Bowl

-X-wing

Miniature Battle games (best ⅔ suggested)

-Warhammer 40k

-Kings of War

-Battlefleet Gothic

-Warmachine

Some thoughts:

Instead of long and short boardgames, I'd separate them into long, medium, and "filler". The two-player filler game could include abstract stuff like laser chess, the Duke, and Hive. 

For determining games, It might make sense to have a common list of up to 10 or so games for each category, and have each player rate the degree to which they could play the game. This matters more, I think for miniature games. Maybe rate the 10 games in each category for how much they want to play that game, with 0 being for the score the individual can't or won't play. That'd make it easier to match up games that folks would enjoy. Folks can nominate games to go in each category. Heck, for that matter, no reason we have to cap it at 10.

For the multiplayer board games, we'd need to figure out a points system for 2nd place, etc.

For card games, I'd add Dominion, Netrunner, and Cocaine Cowboys to the list. 

2/3 on skirmish games might be togh - a game of Infinity can last a while!

Where do mid-sized mini games, like Saga, Warmachine, and Wrath of Kings fit in? Or is anything that's not a large-scale battle a skirmish game?

Really excited about this!

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

Instead of long and short boardgames, I'd separate them into long, medium, and "filler". The two-player filler game could include abstract stuff like laser chess, the Duke, and Hive. 

For determining games, It might make sense to have a common list of up to 10 or so games for each category, and have each player rate the degree to which they could play the game. This matters more, I think for miniature games. Maybe rate the 10 games in each category for how much they want to play that game, with 0 being for the score the individual can't or won't play. That'd make it easier to match up games that folks would enjoy. Folks can nominate games to go in each category. Heck, for that matter, no reason we have to cap it at 10.

For the multiplayer board games, we'd need to figure out a points system for 2nd place, etc.

For card games, I'd add Dominion, Netrunner, and Cocaine Cowboys to the list. 

2/3 on skirmish games might be togh - a game of Infinity can last a while!

Where do mid-sized mini games, like Saga, Warmachine, and Wrath of Kings fit in? Or is anything that's not a large-scale battle a skirmish game?

Really excited about this!

I like the idea to widen the games lists. That could help a lot.

I guess i was thinking that most of these games in a round could be accomplished in one game session of 2-3 hours. I like what you say for board game categories, and may have to change the miniatures into a similar set. Thinking Shorter Skirmish games. Standard battle/ longer skirmish games then Large battle games. This would put inifinity in the second category, while still leaving room for quicker skirmish games to have their area. Ultimately it looks like I need to probably bring each round into one game per type just to allow scheduling concerns. 

I second (or third) widening the game list. While I can think of other games I'm decent at, some of what's listed above I have never played anything in the whole category.

For example I've played none of the long boardgames listed above. But I'm quite good at Axis and Allies, Risk, or Talisman.

Miniatures tho... Watch out son! ;-)

• Like 1

I second (or third) widening the game list. While I can think of other games I'm decent at, some of what's listed above I have never played anything in the whole category.

For example I've played none of the long boardgames listed above. But I'm quite good at Axis and Allies, Risk, or Talisman.

Miniatures tho... Watch out son! ;-)

The game list is intended to be an idea of the genre, not complete list of what you can play. I want this to be as inclusive as possible to try and make for easy going games. Just figure out a game in the category you can play with your opponent and play. If you want to play warhammer ancient battles for miniatures, or something crazy, go for it. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.