Legion of the damned buff in most recent SM codex?

IW Raptors

Back when GW was actually doing FAQs and Erratas, everything that said "re-roll the Scatter Dice" eventually got errataed to "Re-roll both the direction and distance dice for scatter" or words to that effect. The LotD Dex came out after they gave up on those, but with that precedent, it seems pretty reasonable to play both versions by the newer Rules.

Can you give me a page reference for that? I got in this same argument about the Living Artillery Node, and couldn't find the reference, even tho I was quite certain it worked that way.

A bit indirect

page 11 says rerolls of a 2d6 or 3d6 specifically, will always reroll all the dice not just some

page 12 covers 'scatter,' but makes no mention regarding re-rolling scatter.

page 158 says blast rerolls re-roll all the dice (scatter and the 2d6).

I can't find anything in the deep strike rule (page 162), but those rules also neglect details regarding how "scatter" functions. Just says to roll scatter and mentions nothing about the dice involved, nor anything regarding re-rolls.

Personally, I think anything that re-rolls scatter, would re-roll all the dice involved, but I can't find it directly.

Money mostly.

Pretty much this. They're expensive Finecast Models.

Also, they're kind of pricey Points-wise. It works out well if your Opponent is shooting Lascannon at them, because they've got a good Invul, but they go down just as easily as regular Marines to small arms fire.

I have proxied them a couple of times, tho, and one of my regular Opponents has a bunch, and if you're careful with them, they definitely have a lot of potential.

Pretty much this. They're expensive Finecast Models.

Also, they're kind of pricey Points-wise. It works out well if your Opponent is shooting Lascannon at them, because they've got a good Invul, but they go down just as easily as regular Marines to small arms fire.

I have proxied them a couple of times, tho, and one of my regular Opponents has a bunch, and if you're careful with them, they definitely have a lot of potential.

They also lack the firepower you'd expect from a unit of that price. Arriving turn 2+ doesn't help, given an already lacking ability to volume fire. They're like land raiders, expensive and durable, but painfully low fire output for their cost.

And another issue is that they compete for elites in the CAD, and I don't think they are in the battle company or the other SM formations.

Sternguard is a good comparison unit. How much more impressive will your LotD be instead of sternguard?

Ignores cover is a great built in ability.  As is relentless.  A multimelta, plasma gun and combi plasma could be a good loadout that could precision strike something nasty.  

Sure, sounds good. Then look at the price tag and decide if you can't achieve that without the legion of the damned for that price. That's the issue I always ran into with this unit.

Thanks for the clarification lads.

Whilst I'm on the topic of Lotd, how come I rarely see them on the tabletop? They seem pretty good to me on paper at least.

They are actually quite good- Ignores Cover is a very, very strong ability and it allows you to scythe down a lot of units with ease. However, they suffer from the big issue of not meshing well with many of the current SM armies- there is, for example, no way to include them in a Battle Company. The unit is also not particularly cheap in dollars or points, which means it is a very specific kind of inclusion.

LotD are a good unit that, like many other good units, often just gets set by the wayside because its job is not sufficiently unique in the current environ. (Drop Melta is a role filled by many possible units.) If we were still seeing tons of Wave Serpents or other vehicles with Jink, it might be a different matter.

On a side note, LotD don't really require the LotD models (which are amazing models, no question). Just make sure they are suitibly different in appearance. A normal tactical squad should be fine.

I personally suggest using the BA Deathcompany kit for most of the model, if trying to make a plastic version. It's a good kit with lots of skulls already on it.

AP has it right, they don't mesh very well with current SM armies.

And as for ignores cover. Yes, nifty, but recall that sternguard have ignores cover bolters too. I know, bolters aren't special or heavy weapons, but it is notable when trying to justify the LotD cost.

On a side note, LotD don't really require the LotD models (which are amazing models, no question). Just make sure they are suitibly different in appearance. A normal tactical squad should be fine.

On a side note, no unit really requires the actual models. Just make sure they are suitably different in appearance and are clear to your opponent.

I wish I had access to their mini dex, 'cause I wonder if they'd make a good addition to say an IG army.  

Unless you want to use their Relic or make one of them their Warlord, you don't need the Dex. They're exactly the same as in the SM Dex, it's just that you get to take them in their own Detachments of (IIRC) 1-5 LotD Squads.

I imagine they would be alright allies for guard, reliable deep strike and ignore cover melta. Although I guess guard with an sm contingent can do much the same via guard command squads in buddy drop pods and get the benefit of attaching an sm hq to a blob.

Lotd can get a relentless combi grav instead of combi melta to go alongside all the melta, which is nice I suppose. Coming from a player new to sm, I like the look of them on paper at least if going with a cad. With some reserve manipulation.

Too fond of ignore cover as a tau player!