Getting into Tabletop

sbr

I've been a huge fan of the Cyanide PC Blood Bowl game since it was released ~6 years ago but never really considered playing the game in person with real people.  Now my kids are grown and moved out and I'm looking for new things to do and want to take the plunge.

Outside of some Risk in Junior High and Axis and Allies in high school I have very little expereince with table top games, much less miniature gaming.

My favorite BB race is Vampires but Rookie Vamps are brutal and I'm not sure I want to put up with them for pick-up games or short leagues so I am going to put that off for a while.  I have a Necromantic team on it's way in the mail but don't have the slightest idea about anything to do with painting or miniatures in general so I would be interested in any help anyone could offer:

• Tips/Pointers/Links to tutorials on painting
  • Local places to shop and/or buy paints/accessories etc. - I live in Newberg but work in Portland everyday
  • Any other advice anyone could give about anything 

Thanks in advance and hope to stamp on some elves in person some time.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Welcome to the forums. I saw you already posted about league. This upcoming league is going to be running for more than one season so you should be able to get a good run out of them.

Necro is a great team to play too.

Painting wise come on down on a Tuesday to WOW and we have a mixture of medicore painters and pro painters there so you should be able to get plenty of tips. As for where to buy depends on what kind of paint you want to invest in. If you want to come down let me know I will bring a variety of paint lines with me and a model you can try.

I personally prefer droppers now that I have switched and really enjoyed the army painter line and Vallejo.

As for places to buy paint. Guardian probably has the best variety, but Tammy's hobby shop in Beaverton which is a bit closer to Newberg has some great selections too.

Depending on what you want to get out of paint it might be good to come down and get to demo a few lines do you can get a feel as to what you want to invest in.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

When I say come down to WOW, here is a thread of what WOW is.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/100-what-is-wow/

We meet on Tuesdays and Sunday's, opening around 3 and going to about 10 most of the blood bowl games are played on Tuesday and most folks start showing up around 5-6.

Hope to see you there sometime.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. I saw you already posted about league. This upcoming league is going to be running for more than one season so you should be able to get a good run out of them.

Necro is a great team to play too.

Painting wise come on down on a Tuesday to WOW and we have a mixture of medicore painters and pro painters there so you should be able to get plenty of tips. As for where to buy depends on what kind of paint you want to invest in. If you want to come down let me know I will bring a variety of paint lines with me and a model you can try.

I personally prefer droppers now that I have switched and really enjoyed the army painter line and Vallejo.

As for places to buy paint. Guardian probably has the best variety, but Tammy's hobby shop in Beaverton which is a bit closer to Newberg has some great selections too.

Depending on what you want to get out of paint it might be good to come down and get to demo a few lines do you can get a feel as to what you want to invest in.

Thanks.

Necro is probably my second favorite team, I love me some Werewolves.  I also like the fact that I can buy a couple of Mummies, Ghouls and Skeletons and end up with a second team for cheap.

I won't be able to make it tomorrow and next Tuesday may be tough with getting ready for Thanksgiving, but I hope to make it the first Tuesday in December for sure if I haven't made it before then.

I can't believe Tammie's Hobbies is still around.  I used to go there ~30 years ago but hadn't even thought of the place until you mentioned it.

welcome to Ordo!  - I'm sketchy on my BloodBowl rules - but I still play from time to time and I have the board and rules.  I have a couple teams (one painted) - Goblins!.  I'm over in Hubbard (work in Clackamas)… but Newburg is fairly close to Hubbard if your interested in some garage games :)

-d

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to stop by tomorrow but I wasn't sure I would be able to until just a bit ago.  Should I post somewhere else (the wow thread)?

While a Blood Bowl game would be fun,right now I am a bit more interested in painting and putting models together.  I will bring in a couple I got in the mail last week that I am struggling with.

If I were to play a game I don't have a team to bring,  but I feel comfortable enough that I think I could play a decent game with any team.  I guess my favorites would be Necro, Undead or Skaven.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I will have my blood bowl teams with me, non of which are the three listed. Yeah post in the wow thread when you plan to swing by. Shane mentioned he planned to paint so might be a good time to just get tips.

If I don't have a frostgrave game I will gladly walk you through a bb tabletop gamr

I would like to stop by tomorrow but I wasn't sure I would be able to until just a bit ago.  Should I post somewhere else (the wow thread)?

While a Blood Bowl game would be fun,right now I am a bit more interested in painting and putting models together.  I will bring in a couple I got in the mail last week that I am struggling with.

If I were to play a game I don't have a team to bring,  but I feel comfortable enough that I think I could play a decent game with any team.  I guess my favorites would be Necro, Undead or Skaven.

We almost always have a thread posted each week in the Game Night section (though sometimes we forget). That would be the place to post up about looking for games. Here is this weeks thread.

Things tend to always slow down this time oh year due to the holidays and should be picking back up in January. There should be someone there to answer your modeling questions. I will bring some teams as well (Skaven is the one I have on your list).