Airbrush Compressor Suggestion?

andy

Have you considered an air tank? They're about $30. Fill it from your big compressor in the garage and shoot paint quietly inside the house. Did some googling and people tend to like them. Lowest time usage on a charge I've found was about an hour, most claims were in the "I charge it every other time I use it" range. Worst case scenario: you don't like it for airbrushing. They're still really handy for home repairs;)

My airbrush compressor is reaching the end of it's life and this is probably the route I'll go as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas.

I could run a hose from the garage to my hobby room, but that'd require drilling a hole in the floor and I think it'd be easier to convince my wife to bring the compressor in the house than it would to go that route ;-)

The air tank suggestion is a good one, I'll do some research.

My house sits between two streets. Due to how the districts are divided up, the houses that face South are in one area code but the houses that face North are in a different area code. My north facing garage is where my large compressor is located but my south facing house is where I'd like to airbrush. Are you suggesting I just run the hose from my garage into the house? I only ask because I enjoy the prospect having hose in different area codes.

• Like 5

Are you suggesting I just run the hose from my garage into the house?

Having the garage detached complicates things a bit, but is easily overcome...and yes, run the hose from the garage.

Get a scrap piece of pink/blue foam.  Cut it a couple inches wide, and the height of a window that faces the garage.  Drill a hole near the bottom of the foam large enough to fit an air hose, and place the foam in the barely-open window; the foam can collapse a bit to seal the window when you close it.  Run the hose through the foam to your work area, and voila!

Home Depot sells the air hoses in lengths up to 100'.

I ended up going with one of these. I like the idea of the tank, but decided that it'd be just a bit too much of a hassle and there'd be times when I felt like painting but just wouldn't want to mess with it -- with the little compressor, I flip a switch and I'm painting. I haven't tried painting with it yet, but I did turn it on to hear how loud it is. It certainly isn't silent, but I think it is quiet enough for what I need.

Thanks for all the advice.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to necro this post - but I'm also looking to make the jump into airbrushing and was curious with input about my current shopping list....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/YN6P10QY0UGY/ref=cm_wl_huc_view

Tried doing some research the last couple weeks (probably more than i should) but I feel this is everythign I'll need to get going and keep the unit in peak condition. Any thing else I should look at or something else I should add?

I don't have an Iwata so I can't vouch for that particular model but I've never used or wished I had a nozzle wrench. What I did find useful at first was newspaper. Found a big pad at the dollar store. Set the pad up at a 45°, practice making small dots,then connecting the dots. Let's you really get a good idea on brush control and mixing. If the paint beads and runs it's too thin, sputters it's too thick. Great way to see what you're throwing down.

• Like 3