Not recommending we sign up.

This was posted on the BF FoW home page:

Playtesters Wanted

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&aff=3&aft=574616&afv=topic

Link goes to forum.

Here is the bottom line:

PROS:

"...play games that test new games and expansions that we are developing..."
"...you don’t just get the satisfaction of making great games greater, you also get rewards for playing games (and reporting them, but that’s not too hard!). The rewards vary from project to project, but typically include acknowledgement in the credits and some product related to the project..."

CON:

"...everyone in the group will be expected to play at least one playtest game each week for the duration of the project and report on the outcome..."

My 2 cents is to not sign up, with the current small group we have. My concerns are:

1) burnout.

2) taking fun and making it into work (at least for some people).

That said, if several gamers amongst our "regulars" want to dive in, feel free.

Just don't use our group's name - the Rose City Dukes and Duchesses

If we have 4 people who want to do this on SAT/SUN, then I might be convinced.

That way, we could could rotate: Gamers 1 & 2 first weekend, then gamers 3 &4 second weekend, and so on.

I do not want to take up our Thursday slot with play-testing, since Thursday is for the larger group and casual players, drop-ins, etc.

Thursday also also tournament prep for many people in our group.

Just to chime in.  I was part of the aforementioned playtesting group.  One of the biggest reasons I stopped playing is basically due to playtesting.  Being obligated to play a certain number of games that you may or may not be interested in, being beholden to an NDA (we really pushed it by playing at Guardian, which meant that any walkups were very likely not to get games since we were bringing random lists we couldn't talk about) led a lot of burnout and essentially killed FOW in Portland for quite a while.  Playtesting was a great way to turn something enjoyable into a huge chore and drive people away from the game.

which meant that any walkups were very likely not to get games since we were bringing random lists we couldn't talk about) led a lot of burnout and essentially killed FOW in Portland for quite a while. ... drive people away from the game.

x,

Great input. Thx.

My focus is twofold:

1) organize what the current group wants

2) bring in new players

It sounds like the secrecy/nondisclosure aspect of play-testing has the likelihood of isolating the play-testing group from everyone else.

Your comments point me away from play-testing.