6th Elvensword Ambassadorial GT FAQ input

Lord Hanaur

Side note, when Registering for the event on the website, makes you check a box indicating that you'll abide by "the rules of the great ones and the tournament organizers" but it doesn't explan who/what the intended "great ones" are, or where their rules differ from those of the tournament organizers. Likely intended as a joke, but given the legal nature of the box being checked, should probably avoid joking unless it references an actual policy, and if it does reference one - that needs clarity. Probably not a real issue, but sake of clarity and all. There is further reference to the great old ones in the sportsmanship section, but it is also unclear. 

A few of other questions:

1 How will superheavy/gargantuan units be handled? ITC has them give the enemy +1 to their Seize roll, as well as allowing the use of the Escalation warlord traits and being counted as "killing" a unit for every 3HP (or wounds) dealt to them. Are these changes in effect for the Ambassadorial in full, in part, or not at all?

2 Does the Haemotrope Reactor affect only the plasma weapons listed in the BRB, any weapon with the plasma type listed in its entry, or all weapons described as plasma as described in their own text?

3 When taking a multi-formation detachment (such as the Necron Decurion or Dark Angels Lion's Blade), do selections that are not formations count towards the detachment total? Apparently this was the case last year, but no mention of it is made in the current rules (which have several notable differences for army construction from the previous version.)

1.  Good Questions.  Damage to Super Heavies will only matter in the final mission, as it has a Kill Point component.  As per ITC, each 3 points inflicted will be equivalent to a kill point.  As usual, there is a +1 to Seize.  Escalation is not being used, so no access to those Warlord traits will be granted.

2.  The Haemotrope Reactor will only affect weapons specifically designated as a Plasma weapon, not in fluff but in their weapon entry.  So if it is not called a Plasma weapon, it isn't one for this purpose.  The example you gave of a Pulse Rifle for example would not benefit from the Haemotrope Reactor.

3.  This was new territory for us last year, and many more Formations of this kind now exist than did previously.  It took a while to wrestle with this one.  

Take for example the Auxilliary Choice Assigned Air Caste Asset which is simply your choice of a Sunshark Bomber or Razorshard Strike Fighter, found under the Tau Empire Dawn Blade Contingent super-formation.  It is an Army List Entry according to the Codex.  However, it does gain the Ideal Mission Commander and Killing Blow Formation Benefits for being a part of the super-formation.  

When you consider it, it is acting in every way but name like a Formation, including having Formation benefits.  

However, for this year as a trial, we are going to allow people to use the Army List Entries in their super-formations as long as they qualify to do so otherwise.  They will not count against your 3 formation limit.  

I feel better about doing this THIS year because if I'm not mistaken there really aren't many Factions left without a Super Formation, so there is no inherent unfairness to allowing it, like I felt there was 15 months ago.

Thank you again for offering good questions.  I'll try to get these clarifications on the site as soon as possible but wanted you to have them now for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Anyway, if you want the more petty questions, I suppose I could ask them too. 

1: Are models able to swap all of their attacks to use a grenade as a melee weapon AND still use bonus attacks like those granted from Hammer of Wrath?

2: Regarding the Wipe Condition of Sudden Death Victory, do models that can't be destroyed (like purchased aegis lines) qualify as "owned models"? Furthermore, do unmanned fortifications like the Armored Shipping Crates or Imperial Bunkers qualify as surviving models?

Both of these seem pretty obvious to most players I talk to, but aren't as covered in the rules as well as you might think. Not looking to debate these, but I think having an offical stance would be useful. 

1.  I didn't quite understand this question.  But the way I read it, Hammer of Wrath is an automatic hit, not an attack.  So therefore you would get Hammer of Wrath and then your grenade attack.

2.  Sudden Death Victory?  I think its fair to say we won't be counting things that are effectively terrain as models for purposes of sudden death.  Ill clarify this more and get it on the website.

Also take note that the missions were updated per my notice a couple weeks ago and Fortifications do not now count for that missions objective.  So killing them is no longer a necessity of the mission, though you might want to do it anyways.

After considerable thought and online discussions, I have decided to allow the Traitor Legions Supplement.  I would ask Ambassadors using it be extremely clear with their opponents as to the rules and how you intend to use them, as it will likely be the first time they have seen it and it is a very large expansion of the current Chaos rules.

All the same ITC restrictions apply to the Chaos versions of the same analogous Space Marine Psyker powers.

• Like 1

1.  I didn't quite understand this question.  But the way I read it, Hammer of Wrath is an automatic hit, not an attack.  So therefore you would get Hammer of Wrath and then your grenade attack.

2.  Sudden Death Victory?  I think its fair to say we won't be counting things that are effectively terrain as models for purposes of sudden death.

Also take note that the missions were updated per my notice a couple weeks ago and Fortifications do not now count for that missions objective.  So killing them is no longer a necessity of the mission, though you might want to do it anyways.

1. So that isn't how the rules work, just how most people play it (by most people, I mean most people with grenades on most of their models, like almost all 40k players and especially SM players). Hammer is a bonus attack, and is very clear it is an attack. The Smash special rule even has a special exception for hammer, when swapping all your attacks for a single high strength smash. Grenades do not have this exception, and as written, using Hammer of Wrath would prevent a model from also using Grenades as melee weapons (they can still throw them in overwatch, just not use them in melee). Comes up mostly against MCs, but also against vehicles if their hammer is strong enough to damage them. 

Despite the RAW being in favor of grenades swapping hammer, ruling it the other way would probably create less issues due to most player being unaware of this issue. Mostly bugs (pun!) tyranid players, since none of them have grenades, and they get doubling whacked with krak grenades and bikes/jump infantry hammers, despite RAW not supporting this. 

2. Again a RAW vs common use issue. Rules say that if you reach a point (end of a round) where none of your owned models are on the table, then you lose. That loss is called a Wipe. Doesn't say surviving models, says owned models. Scenery is described as a model. Doesn't even distinguish between owned models in your army and those the opponent is borrowing....I'd FAQ it, if only for completeness. 

And depending on how you FAQ it, the second part comes in:

Unmanned fortifications, like armored shipping crates and imperial bunkers, the issue is that they have profiles, so would be consider surviving models in your army unless your event says otherwise. Those armored crates, in particular are T7 with 6 wounds and 3+ armor (might be 4+) for very low cost. So if a player that wanted to use Null Deployment, could leave those crates out and put everything else in normal reserve, arring turn 2+. Assuming the crates survived (1-3 in a single fortication slot, I think. But really even with just one they are pretty durable and hide-able). One of the players on Tyranid Hive was doing this with good-ish results (doesn't make them any less tyranids....). 

So while, sure, RAW would have a model with toughness and wounds qualify as surviving, most players probably don't think those armored crates should prevent them from winning via wipe, when they've destroyed everything else...And fluff-wise, if that aegis line doesn't qualify as surviving for wipe, why would armored crates?

2.  The Haemotrope Reactor will only affect weapons specifically designated as a Plasma weapon, not in fluff but in their weapon entry.  So if it is not called a Plasma weapon, it isn't one for this purpose.  The example you gave of a Pulse Rifle for example would not benefit from the Haemotrope Reactor.

So, do clarify, it would apply to any weapon with "Plasma" in their name, not just those found in the BRB?

Furthermore, does including "plasma" more loosely in the name (like "Bio-Plasma" or "Ectoplasmic Cannons") qualify as having plasma in their name?

3.  This was new territory for us last year, and many more Formations of this kind now exist than did previously.  It took a while to wrestle with this one.  

Take for example the Auxilliary Choice Assigned Air Caste Asset which is simply your choice of a Sunshark Bomber or Razorshard Strike Fighter, found under the Tau Empire Dawn Blade Contingent super-formation.  It is an Army List Entry according to the Codex.  However, it does gain the Ideal Mission Commander and Killing Blow Formation Benefits for being a part of the super-formation.  

When you consider it, it is acting in every way but name like a Formation, including having Formation benefits.  

However, for this year as a trial, we are going to allow people to use the Army List Entries in their super-formations as long as they qualify to do so otherwise.  They will not count against your 3 formation limit.  

I feel better about doing this THIS year because if I'm not mistaken there really aren't many Factions left without a Super Formation, so there is no inherent unfairness to allowing it, like I felt there was 15 months ago.

Thank you again for offering good questions.  I'll try to get these clarifications on the site as soon as possible but wanted you to have them now for obvious reasons.

I am a big fan of this. Lets me simplify my Army List significantly, while getting it closer to its ideal form. Thank you. Just as an aside, I would also note that those single Units do not benefit from any Formation benefits, only those of the overarching Detachment, in the same way that Units from a CAD benefit from its Rules.

I am a big fan of this. Lets me simplify my Army List significantly, while getting it closer to its ideal form. Thank you. Just as an aside, I would also note that those single Units do not benefit from any Formation benefits, only those of the overarching Detachment, in the same way that Units from a CAD benefit from its Rules.

well you are benefitting or you're not, and they are.  But like i say, we're going to allow it so that should help quite a few people with their list angst.

• Like 1

Also, To remind people:

Adeptus Mechanicus will be allowed to use both Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus;.

Adepta Sororitas will have access to Sisters of Silence.;

We are allowing Traitor Legions even though it fell after the cut off I set on the website;

We ARE reading through Imperial Agents to decide if we're allowing it.  I will NOt keep you waiting long but it's Christmas after all so give me a day or so more on that.

What about the use of FW models to Count As something similar from the regular 40K Rules. Specifically, I'm kind of running out of SW-painted Drop Pods here, and I'd like to use my Lucius Pattern Pod as a regular one. Also, Murderfang has gotten used to that one, and some Wolf Guard took over his old pod, and I don't want to make him upset ;)