Interested in Starting Flame of War

Tpenksa

Hello, I have inquired awhile ago about overall Flames of War information - but figured I would re-check in.

I am really interested in picking up the game, however I live in Bellingham, WA and I see most players seem to be around Portland/Vancouver, WA. I would be willing to make trips down eventually for events like tournaments though.

My questions are as follows:

1) How often are there weekend events (this can include pretty much anywhere in the PNW)?

2) How often are there EW events? EW is really where my heart lies, specifically with the Polish

3) If I collected and focused on the Polish, but wanted to attend a Late War event... would it be acceptable to use my Polish infantry and MMG/mortar teams as long as I took like Russian tanks and guns? The Polish did fight for the Russians in the end, and the uniforms are similar (sort of)? Obviously I would use a Soviet army list in this case.

Thanks guys!

We play in olympia and Tacoma as well.  I know there is a Seattle group but I am not as plugged in to that one.

I PERSONALLY am not a nazi about paint (see what i did there) and in fact my DAK miraculously show up in all kinds of theatres of war.  Hehehe.

I would check in here more frewquently.  Our alpha dog for this stuff is Barca whose on this forum obviously, and I think William, Ed and the gang in Tacoma also are good contacts.  Just network with us and stay tuned.  We post our games here but you could also host a tournament up there (in which you could play) and spread the word here and maybe we all end up in Bellingham.  we have actually gone there before as a group to promote it at least once.  

I probably should do some work to figure out where the shops are up north that sell FOW so we can network better that direction...

We're pretty lax about proxies down here in CA. Infantry is infantry, guns are guns. Just make sure there's a difference when it comes to mixed unit types in a platoon, like when one or two stands is a pioneer or a flamethrower, but it's not obvious to other players. I wouldn't get too creative with vehicles though, since they come in many different sizes. 

Hey great, thank you for the response! Yeah I didnt think I could pass little Polish 7tp tanks off as Russian IS-2's :laugh: .  But that's good to hear, might have to start building toward that Polish army.

How does it look on the tournament front? I'm far from a "power gamer" I just really enjoy 1 or 2 day game-a-thons for a weekend.

I've been playing a lot of Bolt Action, but sadly there are just almost never any events.

Barca is the MAN.  He commands us like personal minions and we do his bidding.  I will leave the tournament talk up to him.  The one Tournament I promote is the one we do every year called the Northwest Invasion, wherein Washington fends off those bastards from the south, the Portlandians.  We finally got the trophy back this year.  YUS!  And we played Early War which was cool.  I'm thinking Midwar next time?  William took point on it this year (thanks again!) with some help so it was pretty cool.

Outside of that I have only organized one other event recently and it was well attended.  So we are definitely out here and if you post a Date and time (with a couple weeks notice) that YOU are absolutely committed to playing, i am pretty sure players will volunteer to fight ya since you said you were willing to travel.  if youi do this every so often, it should end well for you.  =)

I play Japan.  Would be happy to show your polish soldiers a proper Bonzai.

1) How often are there weekend events (this can include pretty much anywhere in the PNW)?

2) How often are there EW events? EW is really where my heart lies, specifically with the Polish

3) If I collected and focused on the Polish, but wanted to attend a Late War event... would it be acceptable to use my Polish infantry and MMG/mortar teams as long as I took like Russian tanks and guns? The Polish did fight for the Russians in the end, and the uniforms are similar (sort of)? Obviously I would use a Soviet army list in this case.

1) Weekend events:

Starting in FEB, Portland will have 1st SAT ea month for Flames, v3 at Guardian Games. Estimated sched 11 AM to 3 PM getting reservation set up.

Starting in JAN, Portland will have 3rd SAT ea month for Team Yankee at Guardian Games. Estimated sched 11 AM to 3 PM getting reservation set up.

Our tournaments are usually on weekends, most often on Saturdays, approx once per quarter.

2) EW events:at least one tourny per year is EW. This year, tentatively planning 'Dogs-of-War 2017' for SAT, FEB 18 (FoW, v3, EW, 1150 pts, blitz format: fast missions, 120 minutes hard stop)...getting reservation set up.  Might set table size at 4' x 5' so defender has small holes, not big ones...

3) LW Polish in Soviet Army list OK. If using proxies, then same size vehicle or team base and written list, with proxy equivalents should be all u need. We are not sticklers for markings, camo pattern or decals.

There are other Historical mini's gaming events hosted by members of NHMGS that sometimes have FoW tournaments or friendly games (groups of FoW gamers gathering for non-tournament events).

Some may be near you.

Check out:  http://www.nhmgscitadel.com/events/

Ignore this page, for now:

Although a search for "NHMGS" turns up this page, it seems to be strictly online games, not miniatures:

http://na.wargaming.net/clans/wot/1000019347/

BTW, you do not have to be in Portland or the SEA-TAC area to interact with us.

We have run one Firestorm: Overlord campaign with remote players.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/25089-firestorm-overlord-continues-open-to-new-players-and-old-hands/

Separate threads for each turn

We are in the midst of a home-brew Firestorm: Ardennes campaign (a.k.a. "Battle of the Bulge") with remote players.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/29551-batle-of-the-bulge-campaign-is-here/

Separate threads for each turn

If we can get enough people to commit, we could look at "Poland In Flames" and see if it is adaptable to be a remote player campaign:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2013/01/poland-in-flames-historical-campaign.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finally all settled in to our new place and stuff, so I can start thinking about the army I want to pull together. What rulebooks should I grab for French (early war French nationals and free French) forces? I've grabbed a book for later-war Russia (I think, at least). As well, Great War seems really interesting. I grabbed the rulebook for that too, has anyone actually played that at all? I bet it'd look beautiful on the table.

For early war french the best books are blitzkrieg which covers the battle for france and burning empires which covers the fighting in the Levant and Greece including my favorite the French Foreign legion.  

Great war is different and interesting to fight.  I have a German army ready to go and my buddies each have a french and British army to use.

For early war french the best books are blitzkrieg which covers the battle for france and burning empires which covers the fighting in the Levant and Greece including my favorite the French Foreign legion.  

Great war is different and interesting to fight.  I have a German army ready to go and my buddies each have a french and British army to us

Great! Thanks! I'll start reading through the books. Are people still meeting up at GG on Thursday nights?

.... Are people still meeting up at GG on Thursday nights?

Yes. Right now we are doing a LW Battle of the Bulge Campaign.

BTW, we have an Early War Flames-of-War tournament on SAT, MARCH 25

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/29699-dogs-of-war-2017-fow-early-war-tournament-mar-25-official-thread/

If that does not work for you, we could schedule a casual game in Portland or Oregon City.

Nice, would anyone be able to run me through a quick game so I can get a feel for the rules and stuff before I sink money into mini's? My wife brought up the very good point that I haven't actually played yet.

Yes. Right now we are doing a LW Battle of the Bulge Campaign.

BTW, we have an Early War Flames-of-War tournament on SAT, MARCH 25

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/29699-dogs-of-war-2017-fow-early-war-tournament-mar-25-official-thread/

If that does not work for you, we could schedule a casual game in Portland or Oregon City.

A couple of us are also playing some games at Oregon City Geeks & Games on Tuesday nights as well.  If your looking into EW french, Lazarus & I have tanks, infantry, & support and we also have EW german stuff to go up against.  Just let us know when/where (Thurs at GG, or Tuesday at OC Geeks).