OFCC AoS Event discussion

First off I wanted to let all Ordo AoS players know that I will be the AoS lead for this years OFCC,im pretty stoked to be able to do this for the club:) I wont be alone on this though as there is a team of us working on it and AgentP will be lending his TO expertise as well.

The plan right now is to have at least a 5 round event with 3 rounds on Saturday and at least 2 rounds on Sunday,,personally I prefer keeping it at 5 rounds since we will have to make haste on Sunday afternoon to do cleanup in the hall as well as the awards ceremony.Either way 6 rounds could happen if thats what most would like to see:)

Since this is the first year for AoS at OFCC and the game itself is still very new,especially on the tournament circut,I think we need to be flexible both in the size of the tournament as well as the structure as we move toward the date. So Im going to set forth some ideas ive had along with suggestions ive heard so we can discuss it as a group before the team finalizes the structure.

Army Builds

We will be playing 2000 point armies as it is the current norm in many tournaments.

Nothing will be restricted ,pretty simple,,Ive yet to see a matched play event comp that has any restrictions,though there are some that do have some rule clarifications,which I will be doing and you guys will be adding/ammending hopefully:)

The armies will need to be chosen from one Grand Alliance.

Each player may have a 500 point sideboard so as to switch out,on a point for point basis at the start of each round.Certainly not a requirement but can be usefull and even fun to have.The sideboard can also consist of just points if a player wishes,,seems strange but for summoning players ,they may find it usefull at times to not start models on the board and instead summon in units/models.Of course keep in mind that when a player summons in units/models it can be ANY legal unit or model from their GA..so yeah,bring your whole collection and pick a winner!

I will go into the particulars of how the sideboards are used in the final structure doc.

It has been suggested that players be allowed to bring one terrain warscroll of their choice in addition to any Terrains scrolls they are using that have a point cost(or are free as per Sylvaneth).I would very much like to see this.
                   The terrain piece will be placed prior to the start of deployment,after players have determined sides.Each piece will be placed by removing one of the preset pieces on the table,choosing one that is similar in base size.It does not have to be in the players deployment zone either.
  Unfortunately due to their size,terrain warscroll battalions will not be able to be used.

On the topic of terrain,look for several of the tables to have at least one terrain warscroll to start with:)

List submissions and pairings-

We will be having list submission but likely not due until a few weeks before the event,so plenty of time to play,test and make changes.The lists will only be used to determine initial matchups as we will be using the "Best Coast" Pairings software so additional matches will be determined from that system.

Event Awards and Prizes-

This topic is still very much in flux though I want to throw out what we are looking at doing at this point.
  Since we will be using the Best Coast system and player rankings based on their w/d/l record will be recorded at the ITC rankings page,im feeling that this is enough to satisfy the more competative among us,so im proposing that to determine event prizes and awards,we implement an over arching tournament point system as follows;

I would like to use a player vote system for each round played,this would allow players to rate the game on a scale,,example being 1-5, with 1 being a rather negative game experience and 5 being an epic game.These points would be awarded to their opponents ongoing total.This rating system would be kept private and players would record their votes,handing them in after the round with the rest of the game results.

I want to use a secret mission system that would award additional points.This system would simply be a set of single objective missions that each player can choose one to use in each battle,once a mission is used it cant be used again.The players would then write down their chosen mission on a card and place it to the side prior to game deployment,then revealing it at game end.Right now im thinking they would award 1-3 points each.Example mission would include for example slaying an enemy hero,,slaying an enemy monster,,destroying an enemy battleline unit..or even capturing and holding a terrain warscroll feature until the games end..need some ideas on these though.I think we should try to come up with 10 or so total to choose from to keep it interesting.

Additional points can be awarded for Achievements,,these would be something that players can work on over the course of the event..such as destroy 6 monsters, play a game to a draw,Have your army tabled..goofy stuff like that..probably all only worth a point each.

And finally we will have the favorite opponent pins,these will probably award something along the lines of 7 points or so,using my above scale.

A point system will not take into account wins/draws or losses,,this is all about sportsmanship and very much in the spirit of what the OFCC is about,,its also very much in the spirit of what AOS was intended to be,,rem when it didnt have points??

In addition to the various sportsman awards /prizes for the above we will have an award for the top performing GA faction,not certain how this one will work out but I would like everyone from the winning GA to get something and perhaps something special for the top player in that GA.This as well will be based on the points earned above.

In cases of ties the player with the most favorite opponent votes will have priority.

This is pretty much the meat of it less any rules clarifications that we make.

Can I get a sticky on this:)

• Like 1

We will be playing 2k armies,,cant believe I didnt note that above,durrr.

I havent really seen much need to limit the sylvaneth trees,,but havent been following many batreps lately either.The past experience both playing my sons armies and others has been that the amount of space that the players armies take coupled with the amount of terrain the average game starts with,tends to be a rather limiting factor to tree spawining anyway.Certainly something to look more into as we finalize stuff though:)

I think you are just the guy to be running this events and I am sure it will be fun. I like the idea of the secret missions and player voting. I also like the idea of keeping it to 5 games, I get a little burned out after 3 back to back big games in one day.

Couple of questions:

1. Any painting requirements?

2. Can you choose what artifacts/traits you have or do we have to roll for them before each game?

3. Any paint prizes?

4. Its not entirely clear to me how the secret missions help your overall ranking or maybe they are completely separate?

5. When can I buy a ticket?

" Can you choose what artifacts/traits you have or do we have to roll for them before each game?"

We havent finalized this yet,,I know that the us Portland players have been choosing them since the GH came out,but I also see that the Salem group had been doing them randomly.
  Im thinking a nice common ground in between may be to choose your command trait but roll for artifacts per hero each game.

" Its not entirely clear to me how the secret missions help your overall ranking or maybe they are completely separate?"

A completed secret mission would add additional points to the ongoing total achieved from player votes and other achievements.Since w/l/d wont have any bearing on event prize awards,think of secret missions and achievements as sort of a "victory condition" for the more casual players.Though im sure many will want to gain tournament points AND pull off wins for their ITC ranking:)

Can units that are summoned but randomized for how many come be prepaid

Example 13th spell allows upto 13 verminus models to spawn, can i prepay for 20 stormvermin and deploy them until they run out. Be this in 4 casting attempts or one and half..

Seems reasonable,just set aside enough points to purchase full units though as there is no rule that allows partial unit purchases.

How would randomized artifacts work with multiple hero's? Would it be on a random hero as well because that could totally mess with my army since I'm running 5 hero's and it would suck to get a battle brew on my goblin shaman. Doesn't it say in the GH that you can choose your artifacts OR randomly roll them? Part of the fun is building an army with synergy, making units that by themselves wouldn't be considered strong better by supporting them with other units or abilities. If we randomize the artifacts or abliites it takes some of that away from us.

• Like 1

How would randomized artifacts work with multiple hero's? Would it be on a random hero as well because that could totally mess with my army since I'm running 5 hero's and it would suck to get a battle brew on my goblin shaman. Doesn't it say in the GH that you can choose your artifacts OR randomly roll them? Part of the fun is building an army with synergy, making units that by themselves wouldn't be considered strong better by supporting them with other units or abilities. If we randomize the artifacts or abliites it takes some of that away from us.

should really let us pick that way I feel like I'm making my own character and not just rolling on the chart. That's one of the things I hate about 40k is having to reroof my traits and spells every game useless .

If artifacts were to be randomized,it would probably be making a roll on the table for each artifact you can get then assigning them to the heros of your choice.

As to weather we do that or not,,I would like to hear from the Borderlands group in Salem as to how it has worked out with randomizing artifacts and command traits.

Ive always chosen all of them when I play.

Another possibility is to choose command trait(this is a lock btw) then choose your first artifact,then roll for any others.

Either way,right now its looking like consensus is to pick all artifacts.

should really let us pick that way I feel like I'm making my own character and not just rolling on the chart. That's one of the things I hate about 40k is having to reroof my traits and spells every game useless .

That's exactly how I feel. Customizeing your hero is awesome. I also have plans for conversions to show what artifacts they have. Although I would be ok with rolling for the second one too

• Like 1

I also think that being able to pick is the best way to go. GW already allows it and I think the bonuses you get are usually small enough that they don't impact the game all that much.

But yes the Salem guys prefer to have you roll randomly for all of that. The event I am running, I was planning on having people be able to choose.

Choosing is probably the best route,especially since the event will affect a players ITC ranking.If it was just a straight up casual event I would probably go with picking the command trait then having their artifacts granted by their faction Gods,Primarchs or whoever runs that show,hehe

I want to get on the subject of players bringing one terrain warscroll of their choosing...I really want to do this but does anyone think it may throw balance off?..I mean the first thing that comes to mind is a realmgate for an otherwise footslog army.Then theres the Skull Keep filled with Bloodreavers,,in that case ALL of the Bloodreavers get to attack if its assaulted.And what about placing a good defensive terrain scroll were there is an objective?

I'd think it be fun if we allowed players to pick one result off random scenery table for a terrain piece on their deployment side.

Thats certainly an option as well,,and would include that for those that didnt bring a piece of warscroll terrain to place.

Ive always liked the idea of allowing players to bring one terrain warscroll because AoS really made unique terrain a big part of the game,,this gives players a chance to show off some of those superb pieces and perhaps enhance their army with it too:)

If they had points sure, but how do you balance them..

Also most players are familiar with everyone's units but know little of terrain outside their playtable, realmgate might be known but witchfate tor.. Etc thus rule referencing. Heck I dont own any because the shops usually provide it.

It would make a good painting contest tho..

We will be playing 2k armies,,cant believe I didnt note that above,durrr.

I havent really seen much need to limit the sylvaneth trees,,but havent been following many batreps lately either.The past experience both playing my sons armies and others has been that the amount of space that the players armies take coupled with the amount of terrain the average game starts with,tends to be a rather limiting factor to tree spawining anyway.Certainly something to look more into as we finalize stuff though:)

I'm going to send you a message tomorrow, after I gather my thoughts.  I'm going to include AgentP and Wiley.  After what we saw this weekend, there's going to have to be a small internal FAQ for OFCC.  If not, and you let people play whatever they want, it's going to go against what OFCC represents.  I will tell you, after seeing and witnessing Sylvaneth this weekend, you can spam the crap out of those free woods.  Again, I'll send you a message tomorrow with some things we witnessed this weekend which could ruin the 'spirit' of OFCC. 

• Like 1

If artifacts were to be randomized,it would probably be making a roll on the table for each artifact you can get then assigning them to the heros of your choice.

As to weather we do that or not,,I would like to hear from the Borderlands group in Salem as to how it has worked out with randomizing artifacts and command traits.

Ive always chosen all of them when I play.

Another possibility is to choose command trait(this is a lock btw) then choose your first artifact,then roll for any others.

Either way,right now its looking like consensus is to pick all artifacts.

I think it would be best if we were able to chose are artifacts when we submit our lists.  There are many artifacts which are useless to certain characters you bring.  Just my thoughts.  One thing to note as well, is that you must also list are equipment options on your army roster now, see FAQ for that update.  Also, escalation is complete crap right now with the change on how behemoths and artillery must deploy.