V4 Lists - Where's the Beef!!!??!?!?

fingolfen

Check out the WWPD entry - it goes through things in more detail.

http://www.wwpd.net/2017/02/afrika-korps-for-v4-previewed-and.html

Basically you can only take a tiny fraction of the German stuff that was in the North African lists from the previous version at this point...  

Well I suppose it matters how the army construction works.  Can you only take THAt detachment or is it more like 40K where you can take multiple detachments?  

I still didn't get my question answered on the trucks.  

Also this kind of reminds me of the "quick start" army thing that came in Open Fire.  Are we sure we're not looking at something like that?

The big point is, they basically took out everything from the DAK list that made it DAK. Now its just Germans painted tan. I think they are going to create a lot of panic and ill will by stripping so much out. Even with some promise of filling it out at a later date, that just doesn't sit well. From a plan of making it easy to bring in new people, I can sort of see it. I just don't see why they would pick that area to start out with. Afrika is awesome because of all of those unique units. Guess they have to start somewhere.

The big point is, they basically took out everything from the DAK list that made it DAK. Now its just Germans painted tan. I think they are going to create a lot of panic and ill will by stripping so much out. Even with some promise of filling it out at a later date, that just doesn't sit well. From a plan of making it easy to bring in new people, I can sort of see it. I just don't see why they would pick that area to start out with. Afrika is awesome because of all of those unique units. Guess they have to start somewhere.

This pretty much sums up my feelings.  Throw on top of that the fact that this is the first time entire armies have been obsoleted and made unplayable by a new edition and you get further ill will from the existing player base.  They could have easily created stopgap MW lists/conversion for V4 in parallel with the new official V4 lists to be released on a slower cadence.  That's what they did for EW and LW.  They chose not to do that, though...

Personally, not feeling the squeeze yet on the change.

Locally - in PDX and SW Wash, we will have a mix of v3 and v4 events this year.

Our local group - RCDD (Rose City Dukes and Duchesses*) - is doing a slow roll out of adopting v4.

We are in the midst of our home-grown Battle of the Bulge campaign: v3, LW

RCDD Dogs-of-War tournament in March is v3 EW

ENFILADE! 2017 will be v3. LW

RCDD participation in OFCC 2017 will have mostly v3 games, with a demo/walk-thru of v4

RCDD Northwest Invasion 2017 not yet decided on version and period.

RCDD TANKSgiving 2017 not yet decided on version and period.

Around mid-year, we will run a v4 MW N. Africa Campaign based on the Battle of Gazala

We will have some demo games of v4 before and during the campaign

Our other events include Team Yankee (mini-campaign announcement) which is reported to have some commonality with v4.

*long version is "Rose City Dukes and Duchesses FoW ranger Group"

I want to be enthusiastic toward V4, our game needs to change. I am a bit unimpressed with the output of midwar so far.  I am surprised they have the tiger and 17 pdr available at the early part of the desert. Without these I believe it is much better. I will not be playing with the super weapons unless my opponent does. I will simply ask them if they are fielding them. I do have loads of old goodies and I believe Battlefront will bring them back, they have a vested interest in making many models. I was once resistant to changes now I understand they are inevitable. My interest is in my favorite hobby to flourish.