Cutting Marbles in Half?

Need to make some eyes, got a bag of marbles, but thinking I need them as half-spheres. Is there a "good" way to cut/break marbles in half?

I'll probably find something else that works better, but I figured it was worth asking if there was a simple trick to this. I know hitting them with a hammer doesn't work well.

2 hours ago, Purajh said:

I recommend the following. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Express-Watch-Them-Wiggle/dp/B0074MHV7W

Especially for a 40k army

These ones are actually just about perfect for Marines. I've been tempted by that for a while now.

On the OP, you're going to need to find someone with a tile saw and a really good vise or something to hold them in. Or you can look for flat back glass gems, which are basically half marbles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

On the OP, you're going to need to find someone with a tile saw and a really good vise or something to hold them in. Or you can look for flat back glass gems, which are basically half marbles.

Hmm...sawing them. Didn't consider that. Yeah, I could probably do that. You think a hobby bone saw would work on glass?

I was thinking it would be more a flat chisel and a hammer to "split" them, but a saw makes sense too. 

Yeah, those glass gems might be the more practical route. 

Thanks for the help.

Oh, if wondering, I'm building a TITANIC super-spore mine for my tyranids. Been working on it for some time, and don't expect to improve quickly, but it's often on my mind. 

Hammer and chisel will almost certainly just shatter them, rather than splitting cleanly. Glass cutting with a blade either needs to be really fast (power tool fast), or super slow and grinding (hold it in a vise and spend a couple of hours running a glass cutter around it.

As much as I'm loathe to suggest it*, this may actually be a situation where fire is the best option. Not sure how well it would work out; like other options, it's all presented in terms of cutting relatively thin layers of glass, either sheets or bottles. But if you're willing to take the risk, there are some ideas here.

*And I kind of wish I had some sort of legally binding way to disclaim any responsibility for any consequences.

I gotta step in on this one.

Don't cut marbles in half. It's dangerous. Buy stick on craft half pearls instead. Below is an example for more than anyone will ever need for $3 + shipping.  You can get them at the big craft stores like Michaels for around $7.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104588610/800pc-assorted-sizes-ivory-pearls-flat?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-craft_supplies_and_tools-beads_gems_and_cabochons-beads&utm_custom1=4b508160-a053-4cbb-8314-8c35424820be&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7TUiOal2gIV2I1-Ch1HygDwEAQYBSABEgIEKPD_BwE

il_570xN.363444064_lh6k.jpg?version=0

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1