What's new with Malifaux?

KennyD76

Good on you VonVikee, you are correct!

I hit you up on Facebook I believe and would be happy to meet up with you for a crash course in the game. We have a growing community and the more the merrier.

I just ran a tournament last week with 9 players,(Shouldve been 12 but a few dropped last minute). I think there is a buzz and the community will grow with a bit more of a push from players. We have game nights on Tuesdays and Fridays at 2 different stores in Portland. Typically a table or 3 going on those nights, depending on the week. I'd like to get something going in Vancouver, perhaps at Fate & Fury if we can get some more people interested in starting. 

The 2 masters that were considered broken and dominating the tournament scene were recently cuddled and brought back down to earth with the other 40+ masters. I appreciate Wyrd games for making balance changes as often as they do in order to keep the game fresh and inviting for casual and competitive players alike. The game is in a good place and has a booth at GenCon for some new release hype. Wave 6 should drop January/February with a new Gaining Grounds... The game is always fresh and meta shifting, I like the constant challenge. No net listing or finding ONE crew that can do it all, you are in constant flux trying to find what works in an ever changing environment. 

Basically, you'll need a crew, a fate deck, tape measure, and tokens of some sort. 30mm for scheme markers, scrap, corpses, ect... 50mm for stash markers or symbols of authority and condition/activation markers. I think a 3'x3' faux grid from Mats By Mars is a really nice tool for playing as the grid lets you see where you need to be without measuring or giving any clues to your opponent as to what you're trying to do. Its not essential, but really nice to have, any 3'x3' play surface will do. 

Hopefully this helps. 🙂 

• Like 1

The M2E rulebook is still the one being used. The core rule book has never been an issue with the game. Typically its individual models or upgrades that receive erratas. You can download the rules for free here http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/133323/Malifaux--RULES-ONLY-Handbook--2E?cPath=23027_23028

Also, check out the faq and erratas on wyrds website so you are up to date on those changes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

Its worth getting back in to, if for no other reason than to hang with Fixxer.

I'm pretty new to it too, so you can beat up on my friendly drinking crew 😄

You are too kind my friend.  Ben plays exactly like his master does... he'll feed you beer after beer (or moscow mule) until you're not making the best decisions anymore. Its very fun. LOL!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KennyD76 said:

With 3E right around the corner, glad I didn't jump back in to quickly.

Why not? It will be the same system, they are just cleaning up some of the excess on cards and upgrades while advancing the story. Learning to play M2E will only help you in M3E.

All of the models will get new updated rules available for free when the edition drops, nothing you collect now or learn now will be useless. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Fixxer said:

Good on you VonVikee, you are correct!

I hit you up on Facebook I believe and would be happy to meet up with you for a crash course in the game. We have a growing community and the more the merrier.

I just ran a tournament last week with 9 players,(Shouldve been 12 but a few dropped last minute). I think there is a buzz and the community will grow with a bit more of a push from players. We have game nights on Tuesdays and Fridays at 2 different stores in Portland. Typically a table or 3 going on those nights, depending on the week. I'd like to get something going in Vancouver, perhaps at Fate & Fury if we can get some more people interested in starting. 

The 2 masters that were considered broken and dominating the tournament scene were recently cuddled and brought back down to earth with the other 40+ masters. I appreciate Wyrd games for making balance changes as often as they do in order to keep the game fresh and inviting for casual and competitive players alike. The game is in a good place and has a booth at GenCon for some new release hype. Wave 6 should drop January/February with a new Gaining Grounds... The game is always fresh and meta shifting, I like the constant challenge. No net listing or finding ONE crew that can do it all, you are in constant flux trying to find what works in an ever changing environment. 

Basically, you'll need a crew, a fate deck, tape measure, and tokens of some sort. 30mm for scheme markers, scrap, corpses, ect... 50mm for stash markers or symbols of authority and condition/activation markers. I think a 3'x3' faux grid from Mats By Mars is a really nice tool for playing as the grid lets you see where you need to be without measuring or giving any clues to your opponent as to what you're trying to do. Its not essential, but really nice to have, any 3'x3' play surface will do. 

Hopefully this helps. 🙂 

What two stores are the ones with regular meetups? How long does a regular sized game take?

There are 3 stores now with regular meet ups. 

Tuesdays at the Portland Game Store starting around 5:30pm- This is the one that I am consistently at. 

Fridays at Guardian Games starting at about 5pm- I'll make this once a month. Typically Rudy, Justin, and Erik are down there with other randoms that play. 

Sundays at Mythic Realms in Vancouver WA. This one is new and being run by Kalani. Thinking 5-6pm start time. 

We all play the standard 50ss which can take anywhere from 2 - 2.5 hours depending on how well you know your crew and how aggressive you are. I can typically end a tournament game in an hour and a half depending on my opponent.