Escallation and Stronghold Assault

Threejacks

I'm sure some people here (pretre, AP, etc.) have read them already, but there are several (at least 4) battle reports floating around the intertubes now featuring Revenants. In the four I've read, the Revenants are barely scratched, but the Eldar player loses badly in each game. Seems the 900 points does indeed cripple the ability to field anything complementary that can stand up to a "more balanced" army selection. I was also intrigued that in Natfka's report his Void Shields pretty much nullified the Revenant and its Tau shooty allies. Sure, some lucky rolls (and unlucky rolls) were made, but the Shields did their job as described. 

Anyway, I've found all the reports compelling and I am very excited to try out all these glorious new choices. Especially for my poor, outdated orkses! 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rev also needs an FAQ, as it's holofields is clearly not considered a save, but functions as one, and D weapons specifically deny saves and abilities that function as saves (like necron reanimation). Some people probably think it's clear, but a FAQ to solidify it one way or another would be nice.

Escalation is still unclear if double FOC permits a second LoW, as that would balance the other armies against the rev quite nicely.

-Pax

I'm pretty sure in HH, you are allowed a single LoW, period.  So a 2k+ point list would be:

Primary Detachment

Primary Allied Detachment

Primary Fortification

Secondary Detachment

Secondary Allied Detachment

Secondary Fortification

Lord of War

Personally, I'd use that as the guideline and only go with one LoW until 6.5 comes out.

I'm pretty sure in HH, you are allowed a single LoW, period.  So a 2k+ point list would be:

Primary Detachment

Primary Allied Detachment

Primary Fortification

Secondary Detachment

Secondary Allied Detachment

Secondary Fortification

Lord of War

Personally, I'd use that as the guideline and only go with one LoW until 6.5 comes out.

HH?

I do recall that the LoW is tied to the primary army and can't be part of the allied detachment only (like tau with ork allies taking a stompa is not ok). I'm pretty sure the wording is so that it says to treat the LoW detachment as one would an allied detachment or fortification, and completely leaves it vague if a double FOC would permit doubling LoW detachments.

-Pax

I'm sure some people here (pretre, AP, etc.) have read them already, but there are several (at least 4) battle reports floating around the intertubes now featuring Revenants. In the four I've read, the Revenants are barely scratched, but the Eldar player loses badly in each game.

On the other hand, those armies were poorly built and not all that well-played. Just because a unit is really good doesn't mean it automagically wins the game for you- you still have to actually try.

Rev also needs an FAQ, as it's holofields is clearly not considered a save, but functions as one, and D weapons specifically deny saves and abilities that function as saves (like necron reanimation). Some people probably think it's clear, but a FAQ to solidify it one way or another would be nice.

Holofields explicitly work against Str D weapons, that's why they get the exception when nothing else does.

I do recall that the LoW is tied to the primary army and can't be part of the allied detachment only (like tau with ork allies taking a stompa is not ok). I'm pretty sure the wording is so that it says to treat the LoW detachment as one would an allied detachment or fortification, and completely leaves it vague if a double FOC would permit doubling LoW detachments.

It's not really unclear at all- Allies and Fortifications specifically get a second "slot" available when you open up a second Primary detachment, but Lords of War have no such text. While it does say that LoW are "an optional detachment just like Fortifications and Allied detachments," I think it's a bit of a stretch to turn that into also getting a second LoW choice in large games.

Escalation is still unclear if double FOC permits a second LoW, as that would balance the other armies against the rev quite nicely.

-Pax

The Holo fields are certainly *not* a save since the guy doing the shooting is the one who has to roll to see if he can hurt the revenant.