Board Game Recommendation?

ArchAngel

• 11 months later...

I think I mentioned it here elsewhere but I am a big fan of Alchemists recently.  It's published by CzechGames and was designed by Matus Kotry (since there are a couple of games with similar names out there).

Think Clue with a Euro Worker-placement aspect.  Not currently available in the states but coming soon (probably January).  They showed up at Essen with a bunch of copies and sold out in less than 2 days.  They found out that one of their important components was not quite the right size (just a smidge larger then the hole it was supposed to go into) so they held off on printing any more until they could retool so the stuff coming in January should be good.

2-4 players are Alchemists trying to do experiments and publish their findings.  Worker placement gets you reagents to use in your experiments, gets you someone to test your potions on and then later allows you to publish your findings, contest the claims of your rivals and generally make a name for yourself in the community.  Mechanics require that you publish claims before you are likely to have any solid information so the game is more about managing your publications and your reputation than doing the actual research.

As a bonus, the game has two difficulty levels and it actually supports playing both together at the same time so it is possible to handicap more experienced players when introducing the game to new players.

Requires a smartphone or web access to play.