I understand that Allies are a big deal in 40k now?

JamesBeadle

Guest Pnwwarrior

I am taking a rune priest and 5 grey hunters in a pod with my orks. Gives you a psi defense and a pod with a melta to kill armour 14. They are not happy allies so getting them killed isn't a problem.

They help against most armies and is less then 250 points. If people worry about killing the 250 points in their face your orks have a chance to do what they do well.

I have a potential Tau/Khador trade in the works, but this guys feedback is not good so it is not a solid thing. I am a roleplayer at heart, and while I know you guys all know the game better than I (I'm reading the 6th ed book tonight) something inside of me just rebels at the idea of the Imperium (or Eldar) joining forces with the greenskins. Maybe to fight world destroyers like the Nids or Chaos, but other than that...

I have a potential Tau/Khador trade in the works, but this guys feedback is not good so it is not a solid thing. I am a roleplayer at heart, and while I know you guys all know the game better than I (I'm reading the 6th ed book tonight) something inside of me just rebels at the idea of the Imperium (or Eldar) joining forces with the greenskins. Maybe to fight world destroyers like the Nids or Chaos, but other than that...

Rest assured that you can play without allies with no problems.

I considered running IG allies for my Orks as Diggaz from the old Gorkamorka game. Der jus puny oomies but dey tries ta krump lik proppa boyz! Easy modeling project too. Catachans done up all mismatched with green face paint and Orkify any vehicles they have. Fluffy, thematic and they'll match without blending into the Orks ;)

• Like 3

Well, it seems to me that Orks are also a good ally contigent for Tau. The only way I could get the Tau allies that I wanted was to trade for them, since buying them is out of the question. To do that I dismantled my Khador, kept one small list that I wanted to play, and am in the process of trading the rest, which because of the Khador army size is netting me a complete Tau army. This wasn't my goal, but is ending up being the restult.

I am not getting Kroot; my logic is that if I do ever run a Tau force, Ork allies can fill the gap that Kroot normally fill (ie. running interferance for shooty Tau models). Is this an accurate assessment?

What allies are best for the Orks?

Allies are nice to fill gaps in your army or to create new "synergy" between multiple unit effects. They can also just be included for theme or to allow a new army to be partially fielded with another.

The question is, what do your orks need? Just play a few games against random opponents with pure orks, then get the allies to fill the gaps that the army has issues with.

The downside to allies is that, if you are a collector, like me, you can't field as many of any single army should you include allies.

As a note on desperate allies, They do have value, but unlike the other types, their troops don't score so you need to design their troops to retain value even if they don't score.

In example, I could include desperate Necron allies to my DA. I'd probably take a minimum warrior unit with a dedicated flyer transport, maybe two of these units. I'd also probably include a Doom Scythe. The flyers have value to my DA as the DA are very lacking in non-FW AA options. The flyers are nice because they can keep away from my DA units, so as not to impair me with "One eye open."

On the other hand, if I take Necron Allies of convenience to my GK, I'd probably take a blob of 20 warriors with a res orb lord, as big scoring units are something the GK can't field. As the necrons are allies of convenience to my GK, including units that operate near each other would be a decent plan.

-Pax

I've been playing Tau allies with my Orks since the day 6th ed hit.  I was using a pair of the old Broadsides, and they were a great complement to the Orks.

Since the new Tau book, I've still used broadsides but mainly for additional skyfire.  A few crisis suits with fusion guns are probably better now.

I have more ideas, but finally have not been able to implement any of them. I'd like to run some CSM with a helldrake or some necrons.