Anyone know anything about setting up an online store?

JMGraham

I've looked at a lot of different options, and have come to the realization that I'd rather have a consultant set something up than go through the hassle of learning to do it myself. I could go through one of the existing retailer sites, but wouldn't mind doing it through Wordpress or something similar, if I could find a good person to do the work.

Anyone have any experience or know-how on doing this and want to chat about terms?

I'd want a simple website with a blog, and a store. The store would be bare-bones, likely using Paypal for checkout. I'd be selling resin terrain and wargaming supplies, like the exploded vehicle markers from my kickstarter, and some of the pieces I've been developing since then like some of the walls and scatter terrain shown here: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/20065-jims-terrain-project-log/

Thanks!

Jim

I would echo my agreement with Scott.

Start with something simple.  Typically a major reason for moving to a more robust platform is due revenue related concerns.  Also should your endeavors grow to having a more elaborate inventory of products where there is value in charting customer activities, then you'll want to considering spending on 3rd party services for an online store.

The main thing I'd say, and this applies to any small business really is think through how you will handle the variety of shady encounters you will most definitely have. 

What is your return policy? How flexible are you when someone tries to negotiate offers? What will you do when you encounter egregious and obvious attempts at fraud?