My Phone Number

huggies01

On the topic of firearm safety, I'm a state-certified handgun instructor and would happily volunteer my time to show you folks and spouses / GFs / BFs / kids handgun safety.  I can even supply the weapon systems... I used to do it all the time for folks when I was range officer.  Holler if this sounds like what you want.

Stay safe,

don

Yes please! Absolutely. I can't believe you're willing to volunteer this service. Count me in.

On the topic of firearm safety, I'm a state-certified handgun instructor and would happily volunteer my time to show you folks and spouses / GFs / BFs / kids handgun safety.  I can even supply the weapon systems... I used to do it all the time for folks when I was range officer.  Holler if this sounds like what you want.

I am interested in this as well Don.

Hello there,

Okay, please email me at work (dalmer@cob.org) and give me your name or address and I'll look up the case personally and see what's what.

One of our unit guys is awesome at checking pawn stuff and I can talk with the guys/gals on the force and get the word out to look for your stuff.

Stay safe,

don

I've been considering obtaining a fire arm. Wife and I like to walk trails and and we were interested in going further abroad. I'm thinking I want something for wild animal protection.

What is the class size cuz I'd love to get some lessons too maybe pick toupee brain for recommendations.

My guess is that you are using the firearm for two animals in particular? Cougars and Bears? Unless deers and rabbits if you are really that frightened lol. But yeah in my experience I would advise using nothing less than a .357 magnum. Now even that low of a caliber may do nothing more than bounce off a bear like a ping pong ball off a brick wall. Most bear experts (not me) recommend if you are going to get a gun that you get a .44 magnum. Now if you really enjoy a not broken wrist and youthful hearing as well as your legs and face intact, I would recommend just getting bear mace. Most of the time a gunshot only irritates a bear. Bear mace is proven very effective.

Experience: I took the wife for a hike on a chuckanut trail which quickly evovled into an episodic breakdown, and my having to learn how to deal with bears. Not as cool as you would think.

Note* not trying to discourage you from not going to Don's class. Just letting you know about safety of the wife.

Gotta put my 2 cents in here:   if you are thinking about picking up any tool or technique for self defense, it has to be something that you can perform under stress with competence, which means not only education but also practice and upkeep, and training specifically for self-defense.  I'm not sure if there are any combat/ self defense handgunning instructors in the area.  Shae has the benefit of military training, but I'd caution anyone who doesn't have combat training to think twice about picking up a handgun for self-defense unless you are willing to put in not only range-time but also learn to use it (and also how not to use it) under adrenal stress.  

Anyhow, we're all adults and guns are awesome but they are a huge responsibility and liability. Please be careful.

Hello there,

Um for what it's worth I am happy to give you any instruction you want.

State-certified firearms instructor in handgun and rifle.  Been on SWAT for over a decade, have instructed officers from municipal, county, state and federal agencies in everything from tactics, firearms and use of force.

If you want *combat* firearms training, no problem.  If you want a firearms safety introduction class, no problem.  I agree with a lot of stuff posted regarding responsibilities, repetition, etc.  There are tons of folks available to help.

With regards to the class, if the Warhamsters are willing to organize who would want to attend (i.e. you, spouses, GFs/BFs, etc.) then I'd be happy to instruct a basic "here's a handgun" safety orientation class.  If folks want other things after that, no problem.

Stay safe,

don

Guys both Don and Nathan are completely right. 90% percent of home shootings are of the owner having the gun and not knowing how to use it, being used against them. Please don't quote me on that. Just take it for the fact I made up, but still it is really high. With that said, the amount of baby gerbils the warhammsters are squeezing out these days (shaun) There is nothing scarier then their safety being at risk. Don't fear a gun for that reason. If you are confident, and somewhat intelligent and take some of these classes that Don is graciously offering then your chances and effectiveness increase exponentially. And Jim, not to make it sound like equilibrium the movie, but yeah self defense with firearms I feel isn't taught enough. The distance that an attacker can cover in the short amount of time, is mind blowing. I don't know exact distances but I do know that 20ft. in less than a second or two wouldn't be uncommon. 

don't let the waist line fool you, I'm a former Marine.  I just wasn't able to get pistol qualified before I left the service.  I appreciate the concern but please, save the lectures.  Another thing I'd like to point out, the interest in guns came from the offer from a qualified instructor to educate people.  This wasn't just a crazy 'hey, let's all get guns' thread.  I think i'm a bit grumpy today.....stupid sleep

Are you kidding me Loren. I am not concerned about you. You definitely know your guns, you had to. I am just saying that even with my wife being married to an educated marine, and after this event where at least two people were in my house feet from my kids I think I over estimated what she knows. That scares me. Especially being many hamsters have kids. It's scary. You will do anything to protect your family. 

Not you either Don, I should know better than to post when I haven't had enough sleep.  Shea and his family experienced a terrifying criminal incident.  Mentally, I put myself in Shea's position and it terrifies me.  All I have is a baseball bat under my bed, maybe that makes me a fool.  My family is ...words can't describe..I come from a bad childhood, my wife and I have built something beautiful together...my daughter...the thought of someone coming into my house and I can't protect that.....again no words.  I'm an emotional guy, being this way has it's pro' and con's.  Pro is that when I can harness this passion I am a constructive force for good to be reckoned with, Con is when that passion gets out unharnessed, mostly I say stupid stuff and misinterpret other people, this being the case here.  

I don't want to make light of what you went through Shea, but if the silver lining here is that you have motivated me to take pro active steps towards protecting what is most precious (sad attempt at humor) then I will thank you for it.  I am also thankful that we have amazing people in our community to offer love and support to you during your time of duress ( i think i used that word correctly, and yes this was another sad attempt at humor).  I am thankful for people like Nathan, who was just trying to offer words of caution ( I got some good advice a several years ago about forum interaction, the rule of 'best possible interpretation', I forgot that yesterday), you offered caution and wisdom, I heard lecture and preaching, you deserve better than that from me my friend, we've drank beers and walked the golden mile together for goodnes sake.  I'm thankful for Don for offering to teach and support.  Again I need to run, more later.  Happy Friday Warhamsters, may your dice ever crit.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.