My Phone Number

huggies01

Warning to all who ever had or have my phone number. DO NOT CALL this number. I WILL NOT answer as my phone and other electronics of expensive value are no longer under my possession. Thanks to burglars I will not be able to contact any persons for awhile. 

[big bad swear word], for real? Are you sure you don't want me to call and harass them? I can be really annoying.....

Seriously, though, that's [big bad swear word]ty. I'm sorry to hear that my friend.

Awww F*^K, Shae. That's awful. You need to contact Don. Not because he'll expedite things with BPD; I don't think it works that way, but because he'll probably a) have some good advice b) be able to suggest some really good resources for dealing with the emotional aftermath and also how to protect yourself and family in the future. I'm really sorry this happened to you. Are you in the county or the city? Hows the fam holding up?

PM me - I'll be back soon. I have an unlocked phone you can use till renters insurance kicks in.

also-I know this sounds obvious but check Craigslist. Trying to dump stuff this way is fairly common for that brilliant species of scum known as junkies. You might just be able to point BPD right to the worthless [big bad swear word] ers who did this.

Hello there,

First off, terribly sorry that this happened.  If you feel comfortable with it, feel free to PM me or mail me at dalmer@cob.org (my work email) and give me details and I can look into things for you.

Just my two cents, so please take it for what it's worth.  If you've done this stuff, awesome... if not, just my humble suggestions.

1.  Please file a report with the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office to report the burglary

2.  Start typing up a missing property list and be as descriptive as you can:  colors, model numbers, serial numbers, any distinguishing marks/stickers/whatnot, etc.  Even little things like "when you turn on the iPod, a picture of a dog will come up" or something like that.  Currently I'm in an anti-crime unit and we find TONS of property that we're positive is stolen but serial numbers don't match anything reported or folks don't report their property missing.

3.  I'm not sure if there's still an assigned deputy for Sudden Valley but when you file your report, ask.  Talk with him/her about what occurred so they have a "heads up."  Last year my unit was probing around a doper house in Sudden Valley so if it's still there then maybe your stuff isn't too far off and WCSO might know this.

4.  Second the motion on checking Craigslist.

5.  Make extra copies of your missing property list and distribute them to Checkmate Pawn, Bellingham Pawn, Guide Trading Post, etc.  A lot of times the local pawnshops will take items so if you have descriptions for them, they can call WCSO.

6.  If anything might have had your name, birthdate or other identity-theft type pieces of information, call one of the three credit bureaus and put a "fraud alert" on the report.  The credit bureau you report it to will inform the other credit bureaus so you SHOULD get notice if someone tries to open accounts, etc.  Obviously if any banking stuff, checks or whatnot were taken immediately contact your financial institution.

7.  Contact the person you rent from, explain what occurred and tell them that you would like motion lighting / an alarm system / whatnot installed.  Most landlords I've contacted are willing to do this, as they get a break in homeowner's insurance.  Having a police report filed will help your cause and if for some reason your landlord doesn't want to do these simple things, then take it upon yourself to work on the lighting.  Also, get an alarm company sign and post it in a conspicuous place in your front area.  "Hardening the target" sometimes can be as simple as making your place look less inviting for a crime.

8.  Notify your neighbors about what occurred.  Someone might have seen something or whatnot.  At the very least, neighbors that are aware can help in the future.

Contact me with any questions, comments or concerns and again... terribly sorry this happened.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

Ugh.  That sucks.  Our house got robbed a while back.  It's a good idea once you've figured out what's missing that you dig up any pictures that might have it for proof to your insurance company.  We got coverage for a couple of pieces of jewelry because we found a shot wherein Christy was wearing one of them.  Also, just having pics of all your stuff periodically updated is a good idea for the same reason.

Let us know if there's anything you need help with while waiting for the process to work.

I think we are ok right now. Thanks for the concern and advice though. Don especially thanks for the advice. We have already filed a report with BPD and have or are doing most the steps you have suggested. I guess now is nothing but waiting, and securing the house.  Funny story though, They broke into both of our cars outside and found the hidden garage door opener and got inside that way (my fault there). However as we trace the path of your boxes and items thrown about I saw my warhammer case opened. As I went over to investigate with my cheeks tighter than clam in a blizzard, I noticed not a single model missing. Ha, obviously these guys have no clue that the models all together come to about the same price as my LED TV. Looks like they saw them and thought, "These are #@!$ing toys." 

Anyway yeah thanks again guys. Brad is that all they stole or all the insurance company would cover?

Nah, they made off with our document fire safe, so we had to redo the whole passport/social security docs.  They got a couple of laptops, so lost some stuff there (including the novel I was working on), some cash and jewelery, and for some reason we haven't been able to explain other than possibly padding between the laptops, they stole Zoe's baby book.  They stuck it all in a wheeled suitcase and rolled it on out of there.  Probably could have gotten more if they'd only checked and realized the safe was unlocked, but no they brought the whole thing.

They must have been casing the house, because they were in and out in less than half an hour while I was at the store.  This was in Hawaii though, so our house didn't even have real windows, let alone security.  HPD was not exactly what I would call professional about the whole thing.

My wife says there's been a bunch of posts in the last few weeks on the Bellingham moms Facebook page about car burglaries in SV. Wtf? Are these kids? I plan to contact svca and wcso about this. Just because SV is out of the way doesn't mean kids, punks and junkies can start doing whatever the hell they want. For a place with 3000 residents it seems we are pretty low on the county's priority list and I think the community association is mostly to blame for that. If we don't watch it SV will turn into Kendall.

(Sorry for drifting off topic)

Sudden Valley? Shae don't live in no Sudden Valley. Or did you move or something?? Very confused.

My friend's car in my home town got broken into the other day too. His wife had bank account numbers in her wallet so they had to get all new accounts. They have no access to their own money right now and a 3 month old daughter.... WTF is wrong with people?!

Sorry for the supposition everyone - I heard Eli mention Sudden Valley and then just ASSuMEd that was where Shae lived. Also to clarify, generalR - I wasn't implying that the kids in SV are rotten eggs, just that there has been a spate of car burglaries in SV lately and when I called SV security and contacted the community association in Dec about my concerns, I was told that it was "most likely just kids". Which, to me sounds more like "We really don't know and don't have the funding to figure it out."

I'm sure that most if the kids in SV are perfectly nice people; no disrespect was meant; you yourself stand as a shining example of an exemplary younger SV resident.

Yeah I am not entirely sure when I moved to sudden valley. No I am still in Bellingham. Everyone watch your stuff, lock your doors, look poor and pack a gun. It seems like the robberies are the new fad. Oh Brad. It's funny cause it's true. So true. 

Agreed. I would just add, "make sure that the appropriate training, license, and knowledge of WA and federal law come into play if you decide to carry that firearm".

To quote Chekov: Once a gun has been introduced into the play, it must at some point be used.

and to quote Don:

Stay Safe

Hello there,

Okay, please email me at work (dalmer@cob.org) and give me your name or address and I'll look up the case personally and see what's what.

One of our unit guys is awesome at checking pawn stuff and I can talk with the guys/gals on the force and get the word out to look for your stuff.

On the topic of firearm safety, I'm a state-certified handgun instructor and would happily volunteer my time to show you folks and spouses / GFs / BFs / kids handgun safety.  I can even supply the weapon systems... I used to do it all the time for folks when I was range officer.  Holler if this sounds like what you want.

Stay safe,

don

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.