An opponent's guide to tyranids?

Not reading that book anytime soon, so what's new? What, as an opponent of tyranids, am I going to need to know so we have an enjoyable game? Are there new death star units that I need to be able to cope with because they'll be in every list?

In particular, I'm thinking key things that dramatically affect regular games. In example, how everything DE has nightvision or how SM drop pods land turn 1 instead of normally deep strike or how GK can put all their points into a single unit...

Thanks in advance.

-Pax

The only deathstar I can think of would be 3 Carnifexes and 2 Tyranid Primes, with Tervigons casting Catalyst on it for FNP. It is not very scary as far as deathstars go. You will see more Carnifexes on the table though. And they can get Fleet/Grendades now.

Deathleaper is pretty neat. He can show up wherever he wants and you can only snap fire at him. Models deep striking within 6" don't scatter, which is useful for Mawlocs and Spore Mines. He provides excellent disruption but that's about it.

As mentioned above, target the synapse and you will do fine. The new Instictive Behavior rules cause the army to be uncontrollable and even self-destructive outside of synapse range.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

they have an effective range of 18" a turn if foot slogging, not suppr scary. Just pay an army on back line with long range and small screens in front. They have a new mean flyer. With vector s8. They have decent anti geq artillery.

Long ranged low AP for big MCs, targetting synapse first (as suggested before), then any kind of small arms fire with an AP to kill the small nids.

Aegis is always useful to force nonassault grenade units down to I1 when they have to charge over it.

FMCs are all four wounds with no invuln. So force grounding tests then focus fire when one is down.

If you could beat old Nids, you should be able to beat new Nids. Targeting Synapse first is now more useful, and the specific distribution of MCs will be a bit different, but the basics of beating the Dex haven't really changed. Do watch out how you clump up, because there are now two Units (Mawloc and Exocrine) that can throw around AP2 pie plates in different ways.

Instinctive Behavior is the biggest gift a Nid list can give its opponent. Shoot the synapse, then the big ones. The little ones will self-destruct once they lose those support elements.

Don't fret about psychic defense - what little offense Nids have in terms of powers is weak at best.

Stay in cover. Assault grenades are either too rare or too expensive to worry about.