Fantasy in the Ham

Wiccus

So as I said at the meeting last week I would like to do a fantasy league sometime soon. I am thinking something along the lines of an escalation league since we have a few newbies or soon to be newbies and we have several people who haven't played in a while. I think starting at about 1000 pts will be good and we can work up 500pts every 2 weeks until we reach 2500.

Secondly I would like to have a game day in town in hopes of bringing the Canadians down. We could do either a tournament or just a casual event. While on the topic of the milk fiends from the north, I would like to start getting people together to head up every once in a while to the Chop! Monthly games day. They are an awesome crew and I am sure it will be a blast.

anyways what does everyone think about this stuff? Any ideas, suggestions or preferences for the league?

I'm down for some more fantasy action, but I'm not super interested in another escalation league. I understand the draw for newer players, but that is the only format we've used in any game system since Dark Tower opened. I'll play either way, and won't whine (much) if that's what folks want to do, but I'm more interested in getting in games at points levels people commonly play.

I suppose I could work something like that out. I could pair newer players with newer players to start and they could use smaller points levels to help get them in the swing of things. I will have to mull over some ideas. Out of curiosity would people like to have an entry fee and prizes or would you like just a casual sort of league with only bragging rights on the line?

It definitely can. 1000pt battles are kind of weird but 1500pts and up give you enough points to have several units and some cool toys. Everyone can field a Lord choice at 1500. 1000pts is good though for very new players to just pound the mechanics into their head. Of course 2400/2500pts is the optimal and typical tournament level.

Magic can also be a huge factor at lower pt games. When you only have a couple of units and one or several get nuked in the same turn, it can be bad. 

As far as the prize support goes, talk to Nathaniel, he was going to have support for the league I ran, but once the league died off he didn't want to support it anymore. 

Leagues die off, it's just part of their nature. Except Brad's Infinity campaign, because it was crazy narrative incredi-rad. To combat the declining nature, I think it's important to have a reasonable end date, and either make it short (4 or 5 weeks), or longer but only having Fantasy nights every other week.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.