First Ogre List 2500

Greetings!

I'm a long-time 40k player just getting into Fantasy. I've painted up a bunch of Ogres now and I'm working on putting them into an army list so I can start playing. My initial plan is to put the three characters in the second rank of Bulls behind their a full command. I'm not really sure of the magic item choices for the characters. I'm also hesitant to sink so many points into the Maneaters. Let me know what you think.

Lords 370

Slaughtermaster 370

LVL 4 Lore of the Great Maw

Fencer’s Blades

Glittering Scales

Dispel Scroll

Heroes 373

Bruiser 188

BSB

Sword of Striking

Crown of Command

Heavy Armor

Iron Fist

Butcher 185

LVL 2 Lore of Beasts

Hellheart

Core 636

Ogre Bulls 318

9 Bulls

Iron Fists

Full Command

Ogre Bulls 318

9 Bulls

Iron Fists

Full Command

Special 776

Leadbelchers 215

5 Leadbelchers

Maneaters 519

8 Maneaters

Bellower

Standard

Standard of Discipline

Heavy Armor

4x Additional Hand Weapon

4x Great Weapon

Stubborn/Swiftstride

Sabretusk Pack

Sabretusk Pack

Rare 340

Iron Blaster

Iron Blaster

In addition to these models, I also have 12 Ironguts, 4 Mournfangs, 3 more Leadbelchers, and a Stonehorn ready to go. 

Thanks for your comments! 

Are you going for a hard list?

If you are

Slaughtermaster

Lvl 4 Beasts

Bruiser

AoSS, GW, BSB, DB gem

Butcher

Lvl 2 Great Maw, Dispel. scroll

9 Ironguts, FC

8 Maneaters, AHW, FC

4 lead belchers

4 lead Belchers

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

2 Mournfang

2 Mournfang

Ironblaster

Ironblaster

If you need to reduce points trim the lead belchers.

Its a real shame because the Ogre Kingdoms book has some really characterful options that nobody seems to even consider. Id like to see a little more variety of troop choices, the tendency of people to say to themselves, "its great, Ill take two" isnt always the best option in WH fantasy and really doesnt look that great on the table. A little imagination goes a long way in making battlefield decisions.  :smile:

When I was running my Maneaters with Stubborn / Switfstride, I really liked Banner of Swiftness. +1 M was huge when your 'Eaters are acting like your heavy Calvary. Maneaters are expensive, and I think Mournfang are a lot more "competitive." But when they work, they are awesome, plus they are just really cool to model.

Don't worry about hiding your SlaughterMaster in the 2nd rank. Tough 5 + 5 Wounds + regaining wounds from our lore attribute means he can roll with the punches. 

Don't really like having my support caster on Beasts, I found that Wildform  is too hard to cast without the +4 unless you want to chuck a lot of dice, since it's a prime target for dispel. I really like having my support caster on Heaven. I run him as a level 1, but Iceshard is awesome at helping negate our low WS, plus it's pretty safe to 2-dice. Plus Heavens gives us a shot at rolling Comet, if we need it.

i think you have a good list if your looking to make a hard list. Finding a way to get two mournfang in might give you some flexibility. Also, try swapping one unit of bulls for iron guts. Its good to play with both as you will find different uses for each. remember that fantasy units are generally less maneuverable than 40k, so match ups you create in deployment often come to fruition.

Enjoy the ogres, I'm a long time player of this army. The more I play then the more fun I have bringing softer choices and more variety. I'm sure that you will enjoy the fantasy game. See ya round.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll swap on unit of bulls for ironguts and reduce the other one to 6 strong to make the points work, just for the extra high strength. Having spent so much time and money converting my Maneaters, I'd like to see them in action as modeled at least once before I start to proxy them out or sideline them in favor of my boring old mournfangs.

Mournfangs are not boring. They provide some really good run down ability and you can really convert the hell out of them.i like mournfangs, they are gunline runners, steam tank punchers, and monster hunters. I have had a lot of success with them. I also like man eaters and they are worth their weight in gold. So it all depends on what you want your army to look like on the field.