Random Rules Questions

So, I've been thinking about a few rules.  I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the first but I would like to hear what the rest of you think about the second.

1) If you are in a challenge and opt to use a breath weapon wounds can only be directed at the character or unit champion in a challenge, correct?

2) This one is going to be a rare occurance, but I have to ask.  If you are in combat with my Black Dragon and I use the breath weapon you are -1 WS and BS unit the end of the next combat.  Now, during the next round of combat you fail your fear test which puts you at WS 1.  You now stack the -1 from the specail ability from the breath weapon.  This now makes you WS0.  This is how I put the two rules together.  Does anyone see a different outcome?  I guess that main question is, which special rule takes effect first?

1)  From the Q&A:

Q: If a model with a Breath Weapon, Stomp or Thunderstomp is
in a challenge, can these attacks hit models not in the
challenge?(p102)
A: No.

2)  This is a slippery slope.  One point in favor of the Black Dragon going to 0 is that it doesn't say a minimum of 1.  A point against is that it is happening first, so you could say it's already been resolved.  I would rule it that the unit is at a WS of 1 in this scenario.  If the unit had failed it's Fear Test, and then had the breath weapon cause a would I would then rule that the unit was at 0 for the rest of the current combat phase, reverting back to it's normal WS (with the -1 due to the Black dragon) until the end of the following turn.

Hope that helps.

2)  This is a slippery slope.  One point in favor of the Black Dragon going to 0 is that it doesn't say a minimum of 1.  A point against is that it is happening first, so you could say it's already been resolved.  I would rule it that the unit is at a WS of 1 in this scenario.  If the unit had failed it's Fear Test, and then had the breath weapon cause a would I would then rule that the unit was at 0 for the rest of the current combat phase, reverting back to it's normal WS (with the -1 due to the Black dragon) until the end of the following turn.

Hope that helps.

I  think, and I could be wrong, that models suffering from fear "fight at an Weapon Skill of 1".  As in if I have a magic item that gives me a bonus weapon skill, too bad, failed fear means I have a 1.  Unfortunately I do not have my book to confirm this, but that is my recollection.

The wording for Fear that pertains to this is:

...- all models in the unit have their Weapon Skill reduced to 1 for the remainder of that round of close combat.

With the wording of everything and the sequence of events I'd say 1 for your scenario MexicanNinja.  There are other sequence of events I'd rule 0 though.

the negative is applied to the WS before the fear test is even taken is how I would play it. Say I have a WS4 fighter that was hit with the breath weapon, the next combat phase the fighter would be WS3. Take your fear check... So I dont think they would stack and create the WS0 scenario. Do you really even need it?