Starting up Astra.. screw it, Guard

sergentzimm

I think your list is cool, but I doubt much, if any of it will come to pass. No unlock character for Storm Troopers as Troops, for example. They're getting their own supplement Dex, remember.

Predictions:

- Hydra kit also makes at least one other thing. I want to say Colossus, because that's the only other artillery piece that doesn't have a kit yet from either GW or FW, but the Colossus might get dropped and the kit makes something else.

- I think there were two other kits still unaccounted for. Hopefully one of them is new Rough Riders, because those models have aged really badly.

- Minor tweaks here and there, but the basic stuff all stays pretty much the same, like the SM Dex did. No big changes in Armour Values or HP anything.

- Restricted to Power Swords only for most Models. No more spamming Axes.

- I'm guessing that both the Ogryn variants are going to be mediocre at best. For both them and Rough Riders, they'll probably be so close to good, but there'll be one little thing that just scuppers it.

- I'm really hoping Combined Platoons sticks around, but I'm not confident in it.

- Some kind of homeworld variants like Chapter Tactics are possible. This could replace Orders.

• Like 1

*pulls thread back on track*

I came here to wildly speculate about A.M, okay? I thought that was the point.

Let's make some predictions about Space Army guys. Whoever has the most accurate prophecy gets bragging rights (but then must be burned as a witch).

• Vendettas up 20 points, keep transport capacity but still refuse Ogryns and ponies
  • Valkyries get a new missile option but stay about the same cost.
  • Saber platforms or something similar in the book, light Artillery that can be added to platoons
  • Either Bullgryns or Ogryns will rock but the other type will suck
  • Lots of bitching and moaning by either guard players or the general community
  • No Baneblade, but yes to a new heavier FW style tank
  • A new type of ordnance or at least a new ammo mode
  • Really hit or miss warlord table
  • Cheaper weapon upgrades on vehicles and wargear
  • Platoons stay the same in cost per guy at 5 pts., vets might change
  • Orders that last multiple turns / all game as long as the commander lives (how cool would that be)
  • New veteran skill option, hopefully tank hunters
  • Homeworld benefits similar to Codex Space Marines chapter buffs
  • Weird Force Org changes centering around platoons and auxilaries
  • Stormtrooper as troops unlock character
  • The Stormtroopers will be good but the vehicle will somehow be lame or too expensive
  • One new character that's slightly broken
  • One new character that is borderline useless.
  • Russes will have 4 HP and lumbering behemoth will be fixed. Points stay about the same.
  • New orders, something about buffs to fortifications and maybe superheavies
  • Rough Riders improved but still die to like chumps to Gretchin throwing rocks.
  • Please oh please AV 11 options on Chimera sides and rear... at 10 pts.
  • 5 pt. dozer blades
  • Free voxes, one per squad
He IS the kwizatz haderach!

Except no free vox's. They go to like 2 points or something.

I think you have acheived sight beyond sight!

• Like 2

Only 20pts on vendettas? Compare them to the DA flyers. Much more expensive for a 3 HP flyer like the vendetta. If they keep them, I'm thinking they'll strip the unit to a very bare model and make you buy the TL lascannons. AV12 FA and Side, 3x hp, transport capacity, hover mode and 3x TL lascannons, probably 195pts... Compare it to anything else in the codex, heck, even compare it to a SR, the current vendetta is very under-priced.

Dark Angel flyers being the worst might not mean being useless.

I think if the vendetta becomes 140 points with heavy bolters I'd be happy.

I like the idea of the valkyrie become a more effective ap 4 type troop bomber with maybe a big oxygen bomb once per game at ap 3. Something like a strafing bomber with missiles. That would seem scary enough to want to silence.

The picture we've seen looks way more like a Dedicated Transport to me. Pretty sure that's just a Multilaser on top, and I think there was some bit about it being restricted to Stormies and Ogryn.

The comment about the DA Flyers being among the worst merely meant that I didn't think the Vendetta would need to get nerfed down quite that far. Not impossible, tho, especially since there isn't a pure GW kit for it.

The DA Flyers are among the worst in the Game. Probably not a great basis for comparison. Another 20 Points or so would put it more or less in line with Night Scythes and such.

They may be bad, but they are consistent with the point levels of newer flyers (newer as in 6th books). TAU flyers are another example, though also lacking. The SM flyers are 2 HP at the 100-150pt level, and 3 HP at the 200pt level. The helldrake is 3 hp at 175pts with very similar armor values to the valk/vendetta.

I am seriously looking into the DA flyer with that stasis bomb for dealing with Knight titans. I can knock those titans down to I:1 and that alone would be pretty valuable. Not sure if I'll really pursue this one, but it is an option. The bomb rules do allow them to not be intercepted until after the bombs drop, so there is certainly some merit there.

There's more to the equation than durability. The DA Flyers are bad not just compared to other Flyers, but also to other Units within the DA Dex. They have weird weapon loadouts that don't mesh well, and don't do their job well.

Well, the whole army has an odd assortment of weapon options and upgrades. I think it's designed to function with heavy synergy, but I've had quite a bit of challenge working out exactly how it is supposed to all work out...

That's because they screwed it up, and didn't actually get it working before they kicked it out the door. It's easy to see how it's all supposed to fit together, but when you put it on the table, it just doesn't work reliably.

This seems to be a very common understanding, but I don't agree. I could just be stuck being contrary, but I really do think this army has very solid potential. I do think it is an army that must work with combinations of abilities in order to excel, as opposed to C:SM which has a rather straight forward style of play.

Really, I need to stop playing with my IG, GK and orks, and start working solely on my DA.