Allies and the new edition

VonVilkee

Okay, been looking for this off and on for a bit but with the new addition at home super specific rules interactions are nebulous right now. 

Is there a specific restriction army wide for faction? If so specifically where?

I've been operating under an impression that all detachments in an army have to share a faction but the only rules I can find are specific to detachments internally. Yeah all units in a given detachment must share a faction but do detachments in an army?

Renegades and heretics are good in some ways but they don't really capture the feel of drilled chaos infantry from some of the stories like AM do. I'm thinking blood pack from Gaunt's ghosts. Is there anything to stop me battle forging Astra Militarum and chaos marines?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Okay, been looking for this off and on for a bit but with the new addition at home super specific rules interactions are nebulous right now. 

Is there a specific restriction army wide for faction? If so specifically where?

I've been operating under an impression that all detachments in an army have to share a faction but the only rules I can find are specific to detachments internally. Yeah all units in a given detachment must share a faction but do detachments in an army?

Renegades and heretics are good in some ways but they don't really capture the feel of drilled chaos infantry from some of the stories like AM do. I'm thinking blood pack from Gaunt's ghosts. Is there anything to stop me battle forging Astra Militarum and chaos marines?

Uncertain. I do know that there is a specific option for GSC to take a detachment of AM, despite a lack of shared faction. 

There are also 3 detachments which specificaly don't require a shared faction (Fortification, Auxillery support, and super heavy auxillery). Personally, if you wanted allies take via one of these 3 detachment, I doubt it would create balance issues (more likely, your army would be found lacking). 

That said, the ITC does have a specific requirement for armies to have a shared faction. All the GG league games are ITC, so I'm bound there. 

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

There are also 3 detachments which specificaly don't require a shared faction (Fortification, Auxillery support, and super heavy auxillery). Personally, if you wanted allies take via one of these 3 detachment, I doubt it would create balance issues (more likely, your army would be found lacking). 

WTF you smoking, Pax? I'm dabbing over here and enjoying a glass of wine, and I don't see anything supporting your beliefs.  

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

WTF you smoking, Pax? I'm dabbing over here and enjoying a glass of wine, and I don't see anything supporting your beliefs.  

Well, the fortifications are unaligned. So  you can take an imperial bunker as long as it's in the fortification detachment.

The super heavy doesn't have the restriction that all units must be from the same faction. Probably because it's just one unit.

Actually I think this was already answered a while ago using the following example

You can have a detachment that uses 1 faction keyword, And the battle forged army can use a different faction keyword as long as all the models in all the detachments share that battleforged army keyword.

So you can have an imperium battle forged army with a Black Templar traited detachment as long as all the models in the Black Templar detachment also have the imperium keyword. The exception is the unaligned units. unaligned Fortifications have to go into the fortification detachment and don't effect the battle forged army faction keyword.

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Your example doesn't cite the core rules showing permission for a Chaos army to take a Tau Super Heavy in a Battle forged army.

There are such things as aligned buildings. Regarding Detachments, under description for "restrictions" it clearly states that "the most common restriction is that all of the units included in a detachment must be from the same faction." The Fortification Detachment can include multiple units, but does not have a faction restriction. Without ITC, as written, I should be able to include TAU fortifications in with my Chaos Bastion and my tyranid sporocyst, all within a single Fortification Detachment. Could be an Oversight by GW, of course. 

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Your example doesn't cite the core rules showing permission for a Chaos army to take a Tau Super Heavy in a Battle forged army.

I'm not seeing core rules that Prevent mixing detachments. There are core rules which restrict mixing factions within the same detachment, and as westrider pointed out, there are apparently rules regarding matched play (which I'm not sure is synonomous with battleforged armies).

It isn't but most events play matched. I was only ever looking at battle forged cuz the furthest in matched I got was use points and be battle forged. 

There are a couple of story reasons I was thinking a patrol or battalion of chaos or even tau with a large amount of guard. You have disciplined chaos followers like the blood pack or guavesa  (spelling) which could be entire guard regiments. So in narrative I could easily be battle forged with these disparate elements but not in matched play events. 

45 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I'm not seeing core rules that Prevent mixing detachments. There are core rules which restrict mixing factions within the same detachment, and as westrider pointed out, there are apparently rules regarding matched play (which I'm not sure is synonomous with battleforged armies).

Matched Play always uses Battle-forged Armies, but Battle-forged Armies can be used in other circumstances as well.

• Like 1