So what do I need?

Down here in Southern Oregon amazingly enough, a group of AoS players has appeared! Now its been a long while since I played AoS. So my questions are as follows.

What do books do I need to play the current edition of AoS?

I have mostly chaos warriors, knights, marauders. What book do I need for them?

I also want to play with the Glottkin and Archaon. Can I do that with mortal chaos?

• Like 1

Honestly, you should be able to download what you need just to play. I think all of the old armies still have pdfs somewhere on the website, and of course the rules for 2.0 were posted in the community page a little while ago. For point value games, you'll need the general's handbook. The army books they have put out have only been for new lines for the most part, with the undead book (not the night haunts) being perhaps the only exception? But not sure about that.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-warriors-of-chaos-en.pdf

Just put in "compendium" in the search bar at GW's web site and you can find the pdfs.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/ENG_AoSSW_Rules_booklet_web.pdf

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You don't actually have to buy anything at all, besides models, in order to play Age of Sigmar.

The Core Rules for the game are available, for free, on GW's website.  Start there.

Whereas WHFB used its many Army Books and WH40k has its dozens of Codices, AoS instead has Battletomes. They serve the exact same purpose: fluff, painting guides, pretty pictures, and the game stats for every possible unit. However, the mechanical parts of the Battletomes are available, for free, either via the Age of Sigmar app (if you have an iOS or Android device, look for it in the app store) or as free PDFs on GW's own site. They have the Warscrolls Compendiums for the older "legacy" armies from WHFB all nice and tidy in one spot. For the "current" armies, it's not quite as easy. But if you look at the entry for most units in the GW online store (like for these Orc Brutes) you'll see a tab marked "Rules," click on that and you'll see a PDF of the current Warscroll. I highly recommend the app, its the easiest to use.

So once you've got your models, dice, a copy of the Core Rules, and the relevant Warscrolls in hand? You're ready to play. That's literally all you need to begin.

However, since you're an Ordo Fanaticus member, I think its safe to assume you're not a complete newbie at wargaming. So, you're going to want to do things a little bit more advanced than just the entry level. You're going to want the Matched Play rules, aka, the tournament mode. For that, I'm afraid, you've got to spend money, you're going to need to get the General's Handbook 2018. It's a mere $35 USD, so it's not exactly a wallet breaker.

What do books do I need to play the current edition of AoS?
The Core Rules, the General's Handbook 2018, and maybe the Battletome(s) you're most interested in.

I have mostly chaos warriors, knights, marauders. What book do I need for them?
This depends a lot on which Chaos God(s) you're most interested in: Khorne Bloodbound focuses on Khorne's "mortal" units (what were Chaos Warriors and Marauders in the old system); Blades of Khorne focuses on Khorne's daemons; Disciples of Tzeentch focuses on Tzeentch, obviously, but mixes mortals and daemons; Maggotkin of Nurgle is all about Papa Nurgle's favorites, again mixing daemonic and mortal units; and last, but certainly not least, you have Battletome: Everchosen which consists of Archaon himself and his Varanguard. GW has recently released teasers for a Battletome for Slaanesh, but nothing concrete has been announced yet.

The closest match to WHFB's Armybook: Warriors of Chaos is the Slaves to Darkness faction and they do not (yet) have a Battletome of their own. They work just fine without one however.

I also want to play with the Glottkin and Archaon. Can I do that with mortal chaos?
Yes. Every player in AoS has to organize their army by declaring a them to have a specific "Allegiance," the potential allegiances a model can belong to are all spelled out on their Warscroll. These all tend to fall the same basic categories: a Grand Alliance (Order, Chaos, Destruction, or Death), a specific sub-faction or two, and maybe a optional "mark" type keyword. For example, if you look at the Warscroll for Chaos Knights, you'll see they have the keywords "CHAOS, MORTAL, SLAVES TO DARKNESS, CHAOS KNIGHTS" You've also got the option to add in a limited number of units from outside your declared allegiance, without breaking your allegiance... So you can usually always fit that one odd-ball unit that you just have to have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

Thank you guys! Very much appreciate the help.

So I'm assuming I can use the Maggotkin of Nurgle book with both Glottkin (duh) and Archaon cause they both have MoN?

Yes, if you build your army as having the ‘Nurgle’ Allegiance, then both models are in-faction... You’re looking at over a thousand points in those two models, however. Yowza.

Both are also ‘Leader’ and ‘Behemoth’ unit types, for which you have a cap of six and four, respectively. Just like HQs, Troops, and the like in WH40k, every unit in AoS has a battlefield role (the big difference here is that in AoS, a model can be of multiple types, most commonly Leader+Behemoth for your big boss on dragon models). And just like 40k you have certain minimum and maximum requirements. At the 2,000 Point level these are: 1-6 Leaders; 3+ Battleline; 0-4 Behemoths; and 0-4 Artillery.

I recommend downloading the AoS app and reviewing the Warscrolls for models currently in your collection. Chances are very good that if you had a legal WHFB 8th Edition army — unless it was some bizarro edge-case super specialized army — it should work just fine in AoS. You may have to shuffle a few things around and a lot of things might have new names, but that’s about it.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, SPaceORK said:

Thank you guys! Very much appreciate the help.

So I'm assuming I can use the Maggotkin of Nurgle book with both Glottkin (duh) and Archaon cause they both have MoN?

Not sure what kind of army you are trying to go for; however, Archaon is very lack-luster for his points cost.  Again, I'm not sure what you're going for with your army but that's my insight to Archaon.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:45 PM, Ish said:

Depends very much on which Archaon you field; Archaon on his horse is a “mere” 320 Points and is an excellent character, point for point. But the model has been out of production for years and the Warscroll isn’t on the AoS app anymore.

If you are playing matched play Archaon on horse isn't an option.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ish said:

Why not? He's got a Pitched Battle Profile listed in the Generals' Handbook, after all...

Which General's Handbook you looking at?  In the current 2018 it has Archaon under Everchosen as a Behemoth option only.  The horseback Archaon is no longer a matched play option.  It hasn't been for nearly 8 months.

20 minutes ago, Ish said:

Supersedes, yes, but without entries for Archaon on foot or on horseback, there's nothing to supersede. The older pitched battle profile still stands.

Right, he's not in book because you can't use him anymore.  The current GHB is the official listing for matched play.  However, I can see this conversation is going nowhere.

Citation needed. Can you point to a rule that says the older lists are to be ignored?

The way I look at it is that if I have am given an original list that says "A=10, B=20, C=30, D=40" and then later on I am given an updated list comes out that says now "B=25, C=35, D=20" then whats the value of A? It's still 10, because it wasn't superseded by the new list.