Warriors of Khorne

So I have been toying with building a fluffy Warriors of Chaos force.  I want to build a small compact force dedicated to one of the gods and thought I would start with one of my favorites - blood, brass and skulls.  Please tell me what you think of this Warriors of Khorne force.  Its not meant to be top tier but fun to play and fun to play against.

2800pt Warriors of Chaos

Daemon Prince - MOK, CHaos Arm, Beserk Sword, Collar Khorne, Scaled Skin, Daemonic Flight

Exalted Hero - MOK, BSB, Halberd, Shield, Talisman Preservation

Chaos Sorcerer - MOT, Lvl 2(Metal), Talisman Endurance, Chaos Familiar, Warshrine

23x Warriors - MOK, Halberd, Shield, CMD, Banner of Rage

1x Chariot - MOK

1x Chariot - MOK

5x Warhounds - vanguard

5x Warhounds - vanguard

5x Knights - MOK, CMD, Ensorcelled Weapons

1x Chimera - Flame Breath, Regen

3x Skull Crushers - CMD, Ensorcelled Weapons

1x Mutalith Vortex Beast

I'm sure that you are asking, "Hey, wait a minute, I thought you said fluffy Khorne.  Whats a Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch doing in this list?"  Well fluff wise, this guy betrayed the Chaos Lord prior to the Lord being elevated to Daemonhood.  Now this traitor has been captured and chained to a Chaos Warshrine where he is basically a spell slave handing out gifts to the glorious warriors of Khorne.  Ok, so hes there purely for magic defense - little as it may be.  Modelling wise I will either chain him to Khornes symbol or chain him to the shrine.

So what are your thoughts?  Too little, not fun, no challenge, etc.

Seems fine to me.

The Chariots, Knights, Chimera, and Skullcrushers are all very solid units, some of the best stuff in the book.  

The Warhounds are great for the cost.

The Daemon Prince & Warriors aren't optimal, but they're both perfectly reasonable units.

The Vortex Beast and Shrine are pretty weak.  The beast because it is a pretty half hearted monster for the cost and its spell is pretty random.  The Shrine because it only benefits a couple models and not in a predictable or controllable way.  If you want to try them out, by all means they're good random fun.  If you wanted to make the list harder you could swap them out.

A level two sorcerer is fine, but why the power familiar?  If his main job is magic defense he wants a Dispel Scroll, not an extra spell.

The BSB is fine, but why the shield?  He can't use it in close combat (he has to use the Halberd) and he's not likely to be shot sitting in an infantry block.

Here's my suggestion on the wizard.  If he's just for defense make him a level 2 unmarked wizard with a lore that will help your army out.  Instead of a dispel scroll, I know it will help you once, but I would take the Staff of Sorcerey which will give you a consistant +3 to dispel attempts and is cheaper than a level 3 wizard.  I don't think you need LoM on your wizard.  You have a lot of units which can deal with armoured threats.  I would suggest death or fire.  I suggest those two lores because it gives you a chance to kill mulitple threats at range.  You have no shooting and will need something to make up for this.

The Staff of Sorcerey is listed in the FAQ.  It's one of the most forgotten and underestimated items, IMO.  I like to stick it on my level 4, for the +5 to dispel.

I like the shrine,  it can help with clearing chaff.  It's not easy for weak things to kill.  The vortex beast is meh, to me.  It can do great or it can do horrible. I don't think there's a solid middle ground for that unit.

The one thing I think you are lacking, and because you are giving up magic entirely, is a Hellcannon.  You need something to help deal with horde type units.  It keeps your opponent honest, does great things but can still predictable.

OK, taking some of the good ideas into account, how does this look?

2800pt Warriors of Chaos

Daemon Prince - MOK, CHaos Arm, Sword of Strike, Dragon Helm, Collar Khorne, Scaled Skin, Daemonic Flight

Exalted Hero - MOK, BSB, Halberd, Talisman Preservation

Chaos Sorcerer - Lvl 2(Shadow), Staff of Sorcery, Warshrine

24x Warriors - MOK, Halberd, Shield, CMD, Banner of Rage

1x Chariot - MOK

1x Chariot - MOK

5x Warhounds - vanguard

5x Warhounds - vanguard

6x Knights - MOK, CMD, Ensorcelled Weapons

1x Chimera - Flame Breath, Regen

3x Skull Crushers - CMD, Ensorcelled Weapons

1x Hell Cannon

Still not sold on the value of the Hell Cannon.  I may sway this out for the Slaughterbrute.  Not sure though!

With the ridiculous list of restrictions, is this list even legal for this years OFCC event? I cant tell. It says max two from the list but where does the list end? Does it end after the Daemon Prince and Chimera or does it also include the Skullcrushers and Hell cannon?

• 4 weeks later...

So with discussions starting on OFCC lists how would you rate this list?  I know that it contains the items that people do not like, such as the flying Daemon Prince, Regen Chimera and Skull Crushers.  If those are just too much then how would you fix this list to make it more palatable while maintaining the Khorne feel?

I'd rate it roughly as a 3.7.  It's the combo of the DP, Chimera, and Skull Crushers.  If you want to lower that to between a 3 and 3.5, I'd drop the Chimera and got with a unit of chaos ogres with mark of khorne.  The other option would be to do some kind of combination of mauraders and maurader horsemen.  I like the daemon prince, it's not the normal nurgle prince of doom!  The skull crushers aren't that horrible because you only have a unit of 3.  However, when I look at the list as a whole and see the combo it possesses....chariots, knights, crushers, DP, chimera, large block of warriors, I rate it close to a 4.  You pack quite a bit of terror/fear causing units.  However, you do lack magic defense and certain shooting will pick you apart, so I revert back towards the mid 3 area.  In the end I say this is a 3.7.

The one thing which does confuse me though is lore of metal.  Why lore of metal?  You have enough units to punch through armour.