Did you know...? (or Random Wikipedia link thread)

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I just find the symbol really happy looking for what is basically a label for Mr. Burns brand food products. A 3-eyed fish would be much better. Or a Roach with a smile.

Regarding the label, it's more practical than I make it out to be. Just think the symbol is really rather smart, because just looking at it, never would have concluded that that symbol had anything to do with radiation. And Radiation really scares people, possibly more than it deserves.

People are irrational about radiation.  That was kinda the point of all the things I listed that would be categorized as radiation.  The link you posted points out that it is supposed to be limited to ionizing radiation which is a smaller category (still including x-rays but not microwaves, infrared and visible light).

Again, from the article, food sterilization through ionizing radiation is actually incredibly beneficial.  A little further research shows that it requires a minimal amount of radiation, a dose that would, in fact, be considered safe for a human being if it were only issued once (like it is to food).  Unfortunately, that's not how radiation is managed or presented to the public...

The design of the symbol is, as you point out, designed to appear friendly but I don't know if that is specifically because of its association to radiation or more generally related to packaging design in general.  https://lmgtfy.com/?q=use+of+marketing+in+packaging&s=g shows a number of links to companies that specialize in designing packaging specifically for marketing (which is, in my opinion, a four letter word).

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 11:56 PM, Ish said:

but find it a little creepy that Tom Clancy has an Executive Producer credit...

Yeah, no clue how a dead man can be a producer.

Ah, maybe this bit from the linked wiki site:

In 2008, the French video game manufacturer Ubisoft purchased the use of Clancy's name for an undisclosed sum. It has been used in conjunction with video games and related products such as movies and books.[21] 

Still, weird that they would be able to produce under his name without him actually being involved.