Escalation League PR: Gloomhackah's Zogging Gitz

Lyraeus

Important info: I will have 2-3 lists with me each game day. I will be asking each opponent what sort of list difficulty they want to play. Now I am no expert or competitive genius but there are known types of lists and tactics that in orks are stronger. As I play more with them I will learn more but I know some. Due to this, my easier lists will have less of these, my harder lists will have more. This also changes based on the factions others brings. If someone is bringing Smash Captains and a Castellon, we'll, I may have only a few lists for them to choose as they will try to compliment and challenge 

With the Escalation League only days away at this point (and @Dark Trainer encouraging Weekly updates... Heh... Weekly... He is funny) I figured I would use this to document my force building and progress. Pictures will come when I figure a good place to host them.

So far it's the Sunday before and it's a WOW night! So for my first time ever I am headed down. Bringing only orks... Ok, maybe I will bring a Titan or two for people to go "oooohhhh" and "ahhhh" though my painting isn't that great. 

Got 4 lists to test out and most definitely nothing is fully painted... Yet. Though I have characters that are near and some Meganobz that are close for those unit points. 

From the time of this post I have 3 hours to paint. Oh boy.

Still, built my dakkajet last night (want to test that tonight), got to see how the krylon and rustolem primer and paint did for my basic painting (never used it so many bad feelings are here) 

Lists to test today... 40 Dakka Boyz (Shoota Boyz), Dakkajet, Dragsta and dual Kustom Mega-Blasta Dredd, my trukk pounding meganobz and friends. 

So 2 blue and 2 yellow lists... Wonder if I can make an evil sunz elite.... Hmmmm

• Like 1

Played @Jay with vehicle heavy list at 500.

++ Patrol Detachment (Orks) [28 PL, 500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Clan Kultur: Deathskulls

+ HQ +

Warboss [4 PL, 90pts]: Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-Rokkit, Kunnin but Brutal, Power Klaw, Warlord

+ Troops +

Boyz [11 PL, 154pts]: 2x Tankbusta Bombs
. Boss Nob: Big Choppa, Kustom Shoota (Index)
. 20x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

Gretchin [2 PL, 33pts]: 11x Gretchin

+ Fast Attack +

Shokkjump Dragstas [6 PL, 120pts]
. Shokkjump Dragstas: Rokkit Launcha

+ Heavy Support +

Deff Dread [5 PL, 103pts]
. Deff Dread: Dread Klaw, Dread Klaw, Kustom Mega-blasta, Kustom Mega-blasta

++ Total: [28 PL, 500pts] ++

He brought Admech with Cawl, 2x Skit Troops, and a spider tank with just Cannon. 

It was a good teaching game as was quick to pick things up. My horrible tendency to figure out to hits and wounds is never helpful. I won but it's teaching so it doesn't really mean anything. Was fun and I used all my my CP to unstoppable green tide my boyz. Jay had taken my advice and had units in ruins where I couldn't charge... Annoying but good thing to learn

Then we joined a fun and crazy 4 player game where we just jumped in at @paxmiles suggestion. There was a blood angles who I can't remember the life of me  their name... He had mephestion and a smash captain which is nice but mephiston did 8 wounds to my trukk (heh, lucky blue git save and ramshackle ftw) instead of 11. Gloomhackah got out and road raged over mephiston's face who had to withdraw to the battle barge because demons decided to come a calling.

My list for the 4 player game was

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Orks) [23 PL, 498pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Clan Kultur: Deathskulls

+ HQ +

Warboss [4 PL, 90pts]: Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-Rokkit, Kunnin but Brutal, Power Klaw, Warlord

+ Troops +

Gretchin [2 PL, 42pts]: 14x Gretchin

+ Elites +

Meganobz [6 PL, 129pts]
. Boss Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)
. Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)
. Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]
. Boss Nob: Rokkit Launcha
. 4x Tankbusta: 4x Rokkit Launcha

Tankbustas [4 PL, 85pts]
. Boss Nob: Rokkit Launcha
. 4x Tankbusta: 4x Rokkit Launcha

+ Dedicated Transport +

Trukk [3 PL, 67pts]: Big Shoota, Wreckin' Ball

++ Total: [23 PL, 498pts] ++

Paxmiles was being pounded on by the smash captain but he had 3x 10 man strike team, ethereal, fireblade, HRR Broadside with many shield drones

10 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Paxmiles was being pounded on by the smash captain but he had 3x 10 man strike team, ethereal, fireblade, HRR Broadside with many shield drones

For the record, it was 2x10 strike, 1x5 strike, 1x5 breacher (basically the same thing).

But yeah, got pounded. Smashcaptain with immunity to overwatch...yuck.

I was thinking, while getting pounded, that the main weakpoint to the smash captain is that he really doesn't have that many attacks. Even with DC upgrade, still only 5 attacks. Was losing 4 fire warriors per activation of his smash captain, which was certainly troubling, but it's really only 28pts of models. And he was able to spend CP to buy another activation, but still, 4x firewarriors.

Anyway, he's certainly not weak, he's just kinda overkill and struggles against hordes. Your orks should be fine against him.

PS: BA player you forgot is @apathy ales

26 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

For the record, it was 2x10 strike, 1x5 strike, 1x5 breacher (basically the same thing).

But yeah, got pounded. Smashcaptain with immunity to overwatch...yuck.

I was thinking, while getting pounded, that the main weakpoint to the smash captain is that he really doesn't have that many attacks. Even with DC upgrade, still only 5 attacks. Was losing 4 fire warriors per activation of his smash captain, which was certainly troubling, but it's really only 28pts of models. And he was able to spend CP to buy another activation, but still, 4x firewarriors.

Anyway, he's certainly not weak, he's just kinda overkill and struggles against hordes. Your orks should be fine against him.

PS: BA player you forgot is @apathy ales

Thanks! 

The Smash Captain is great against High Toughness models and will wreck things like my Deff Dredds, flyers, etc. Against swarms like a 30 man squad of boyz, he will fold and doesn't want to be there. He gets to fly away though so it's not horrible 

1 minute ago, apathy ales said:

Yeah, you are spot on. Normally he's a character hunter for me in larger point games. Not ideal for a smaller game, but it's what I had so I made do. 

Was fun and nice meeting everyone. Will be there next Sunday for some escalation week 1 games!

-----tim g

And, for the record, your list was completely fine. I was just upset at myself for not have a solution to your character.

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

And, for the record, your list was completely fine. I was just upset at myself for not have a solution to your character.

A late drop that let's you counter shoot after the initial attack. 

Another trick is fireblade and gun Drones... Just force him to fail saves. 

Just now, apathy ales said:

Hay, at 500 points it's hard, if not impossible, to plan for everything. Playing the actual league missio  will be hard for me because I will have minimal to no board control (if this is the list I end up bringi g). Can't wait to get to 1,000 points! 750 is gunna be a real odd week for me.

Monodetachments is what's hurting my list. I've got TAU fortifications, but in this edition, can't have fortifications AND infantry to man them within the same single detachment.

3 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

A late drop that let's you counter shoot after the initial attack.

No late drop. Smashcaptain started on the table out of line of sight. Jumped into the sky, jumped down facing my flank, took a 3d6" charge into 2x10 firewarriors on my flank without any overwatch allowed, then charged and activated twice in the fight phase. All turn 1.

25 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

No late drop. Smashcaptain started on the table out of line of sight. Jumped into the sky, jumped down facing my flank, took a 3d6" charge into 2x10 firewarriors on my flank without any overwatch allowed, then charged and activated twice in the fight phase. All turn 1.

You can have a late drop though. A Fusion Coldstar for instance can T2 or even T1 drop

6 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

@paxmiles Smash Captain could have an additional d3 attack as well, and attacks on death. But suppose you cant do all of that in 500.

He might have had that. His death was crazy. After heavily damaging fire warriors and killing my Fireblade warlord (and taking enough shooting to be at 1 wound), he charged my broadside and I used the "Repulsor Impact Field" stratagem rolled a 6 for the lone charger, and dealt a mortal wound which killed him. So he died in the charge phase.

We were very surprised to see him die.

4 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

At the 500-1000pt level you can just smite him or give him the fear of smite.

TAU, no smite... Otherwise, I totally agree. 

Just now, Ish said:

Tau spell Smite “s-e-e-k-e-r m-i-s-s-i-l-e.”

It doesn't deal mortal wounds.

We have one that does, the Destroyer missiles, but those are only mounted on the stormsurge. 

1 minute ago, SPaceORK said:

True but just about everyone else does...

Is the league only one detachment?

Week 1 is mono detachment and 500pts. We'll have 2 detachments by week 2, so it's not a big deal. And there are counters availible, TAU aren't helpless, but that BA smash captain was certainly something I hadn't considered when building my list. 

2 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

Hay! What's going on here!?!?!

Can i get a coach (or two) too? 

Man, I'm gunna need an entirely new list for Sunday!

For what it's worth, I had 8 command points, so I had a few tricks to play with.

I dont know what your playing besides Blood Angel's with a smash captain!

But yea, I'm assuming its double smash + 3x scouts? Just raun those down Paxs throat cause he cant kill you and moral will make him run.

Lyraeus, at 500 with orks? Smash anything that's not a mob of boyz , decent of Angel's away and hope the scouts (I'm assuming) do enough wounds to clean up?

14 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

Hay! What's going on here!?!?!

Can i get a coach (or two) too? 

Man, I'm gunna need an entirely new list for Sunday!

For what it's worth, I had 8 command points, so I had a few tricks to play with.

Coaching, huh? I think you should have stuck with only a single powerhouse HQ. Mephiston AND the smashcaptain occupied too many of your points and left your other units in a bad position. Between the two surviving marine squads, they should have had the tools to beat that broadside in melee, at range, or a combination of the two. I suggest getting the scouts a cheap powersword on the sergeants, or giving them missile launchers. 

Don't get me wrong, you were definitely winning and would have probably won if not for our crazy additional opponents idea mid game.

7 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

I dont know what your playing besides Blood Angel's with a smash captain!

But yea, I'm assuming its double smash + 3x scouts? Just raun those down Paxs throat cause he cant kill you and moral will make him run.

Lyraeus, at 500 with orks? Smash anything that's not a mob of boyz , decent of Angel's away and hope the scouts (I'm assuming) do enough wounds to clean up?

Mephy, smashcaptain, 2x5 bare scouts, 1x5 primaris marines with rapid bolters, might have been more than 5 primaris marines.

2 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Week 1 is mono detachment and 500pts. We'll have 2 detachments by week 2, so it's not a big deal. And there are counters availible, TAU aren't helpless, but that BA smash captain was certainly something I hadn't considered when building my list. 

If it's a army in power armor itll have a smash captain. Such an excellent tool in a struggling army.

Mono detachment? So one could play Mortarian? Ohhh... Double T-sons princes and summon brimstones... Shield captain on dawneagle/3 bikes. 

I guess these are things that would be frowned upon..