A few questions on 8th for a "returning" player

Andrewgeddon

(Returning being in quotations because I did play 1 game of 8th when it dropped, heh)

So I've got my 1st 2nd game of 8th coming up on Friday, and I'm flipping through my index (Genestealer Cults), Chapter Approved 2018, the rules book... Had a couple of questions that I was looking for clarification on:

-I was under the impression that Chapter Approved 2017 modified the rules for going first, making it a roll off with the player who finished deploying first getting a +1 modifier. Yet everything in CA 2018 says the player who sets up first gets to choose. Am I mistaken? Or was this change not carried over into the 2018 CA missions?

-1d4chan tells me I should get a spiffy relic and warlord trait for my GSC that was in CA 2017, yet I don't see it in CA 2018. I was under the impression if I had CA 2018 I wouldn't need CA 2017... is that just for points?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

(Returning being in quotations because I did play 1 game of 8th when it dropped, heh)

So I've got my 1st 2nd game of 8th coming up on Friday, and I'm flipping through my index (Genestealer Cults), Chapter Approved 2018, the rules book... Had a couple of questions that I was looking for clarification on:

-I was under the impression that Chapter Approved 2017 modified the rules for going first, making it a roll off with the player who finished deploying first getting a +1 modifier. Yet everything in CA 2018 says the player who sets up first gets to choose. Am I mistaken? Or was this change not carried over into the 2018 CA missions?

-1d4chan tells me I should get a spiffy relic and warlord trait for my GSC that was in CA 2017, yet I don't see it in CA 2018. I was under the impression if I had CA 2018 I wouldn't need CA 2017... is that just for points?

Chapter Approved 2018 has its own missions that play by those rules. Normal games use the +1 system. 

Genestealer Cult was left out of CA18 because the book is being released... In maybe 3 weeks if I had to guess. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if pre-orders go up next week

There isn't actually a universal way of determining who takes the first Turn in 8th Ed. Each Mission includes that information. The CA2017 Missions used the "roll off, whoever finished deploying first gets +1" method, and there was a suggestion somewhere (A FAQ? WH Community? I can't remember) that the core Rulebook Missions also be played that way. So, yeah, it varies. Read the Mission, or ask the event organizer if it's a Mission that doesn't include that information.

Yeah, as far as the codex goes, I know it's coming out soon, was just wanting to cover my bases until then.

I've heard a lot of praise of the CA 2018 missions, and I've heard a lot of cries to eliminate the "whoever finishes deploying first chooses who goes first," so seems odd that that rule would only apply to CA 2017 missions. *shrug*

GSC are in a odd place right now, we know their codex will drop “soon” and we know it’s gonna have a lot of new stuff in it... but we don’t know how “soon” actually is and we don’t know what most of the new stuff does.

For now, the best advice I can give is to try to save up your allowance, maybe do some extra chores, and practice painting purple.