Narrative Cities of Death Campaign w/Battle Honours

Lyraeus

So I am looking at setting up a cities of death campaign starting at 750 Points and capping out at about 1250 or 1500. 

The rules for Cities of Death are fleshed out in Chapter Approved 2018 which I highly recommend to everyone. 

They also include an experience point system. There are pros of course as it's narrative so less pressure and a bit more fun. 

While an obvious con is the extra book keeping involved. 

Right now I am just seeing what level of interest there would be in something like this? 

• Like 2

Ah, one important distinction, games will be PL based since the Battle Honours add to that so as I said, more book keeping but you don't have to worry about taking that extra plasma pistol, or having the points for 7 models out of 10 in a squad, etc. It's a bit more liberating on load outs 

Maybe we can even get @Sgt. Rock and @Ish to play. Especially since Imperial Fists ig ore cover and this is cover heavy

31 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

I'd be super intereated in this with one caveat, how often will games be?

I ran into this at the end of the escalation league, I just can't always do every week. Something like every two or three weeks and I'm completly on board, but I would hesitate to do weekly and not be able to keep up. 

Every week to other week. That can be worked out. Thoughts are appreciated as it will help me flush things out. 

Right now I think the best thing would be a Sunday massive game where we put tables together and play a huge Cities of Death game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I could possibly be convinced of this, if I had a better idea of when it's starting. Right now, my collection is a little too sparse for me to be spending a lot of time on the table.

It's Power Level based so you don't need much as most games will be in the 1k route

@Lyraeus Wow can be open on days other than the tuesday/sunday game nights, we just have to convince one of the Czars to show up and open the doors.

There's also a "senate" meeting once a month on Saturdays, where WOW will be open. The Senate meeting only uses one of the rooms. Could try to line it up with that too. Dunno if once a month is often enough for this sort of thing. Senate meeting would also be a good time to ask about getting a Czar to show up on another night.

For the cities of death campaign: will the tables have a "main street" wide enough for land raider usage (about 4" wide)?

I know, not very practical in cities of death, but I really enjoyed that small, elite army I ran last time against Lyraeus. Another small army would be fun. 

10 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

For the cities of death campaign: will the tables have a "main street" wide enough for land raider usage (about 4" wide)?

I know, not very practical in cities of death, but I really enjoyed that small, elite army I ran last time against Lyraeus. Another small army would be fun. 

Depends on the terrain set up and how. That's typically the goal. 

I would prefer mats that help this

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

So no Castellans?!?

images (1).jpeg

I mean you can but it will have obstruction penalties so not hitting on 1's, people can get a 2+ or better to saves so the AP is not always the greatest and in some cases you might not even get to use it right away. 

Narrative, no balance necessary. 

Your call on what stays at home when you make a casual list. The main thing is that you and your opponent both having fun is the priority in a casual list.

A competitive list prioritizes winning. But that doesn't you can't also have fun.

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If a weapon says, "Enemy units do not receive the benefit of their saving throws for being in cover against attacks made with this weapon" does that work for both hard and soft cover? Just going over list ideas.

I know in normal 40k, it doesn't modify the Eldar Ranger (and the like) penalties to hit for being in cover. Not sure if cities of death alters this. 

My big question is if there's a modifier for auto-hit weapons in circumstances where they have so many negative penalties that they shouldn't ever be able to hit. Orks, for example, basically ignore cover if cover is just penalties to hit, as they auto-hit on 6s. Flamers auto-hit too. I kinda feel that if your modified BS is like a 9+, auto-hit shouldn't be a thing. 

For clarity, 7+ and 8+ sounds fine for auto-hitting, but when even the orks are at -5 to hit, I kinda feel that even with more dakka, they shouldn't be able to hit. 

Exactly. And many of my normal troops are 3++, so cover doesn't do much for them, which is a big part of this campaign. So those 5+ and 6+ cheap models are suddenly worth more (maybe?) since I can take 3 of them for every one 3++ model of mine to hold objectives and such in the ruins. And flamers are auto-hit so they will be worth more then low AP weapons I normally take.

With lots of cover my thoughts are higher AP weapons, flamers/auto-hit weapons, weapons that ignore cover, weapons that do not need line of sight, and cheap models are "buffed" in this scenario. While costly invulnerable troops, no ap weapons, long range stuff seems to not be the best. 

The challenge of list building and then trying it out in practice to see if it works is one of my favorite parts of this game!

Edit: Also jetpack type might be good too!

• Like 1