So if I wanted to learn 9th Age....

23 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm thinking about learning 9th Age. I have all these beautiful warhammer models that I rarely get to use anymore. Some have found a home on the Kings of War table. My main concern is getting overwhelmed. I want to pick one army, and take it slow into the game. Advice wanted.

Do you have any previous experience with WHFB? If so, then a lot of it will feel pretty familiar,  it's just a matter of "unlearning" some of the stuff you already know.

Either way, I think the best way to learn would be to play smaller points games and work up from there: 1000 / 1500 / 2000 points, don't worry about playing missions or odd deployments,  just move troops around and fight stuff, get a feel for the mechanics of the game.

I'm sure myself or one of the Portland guys would be happy to give you a teaching game one of these weekends if you would like!

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, Brother Glacius said:

I'm thinking about learning 9th Age. I have all these beautiful warhammer models that I rarely get to use anymore. Some have found a home on the Kings of War table. My main concern is getting overwhelmed. I want to pick one army, and take it slow into the game. Advice wanted.

I had not seen this thread before, I get tunnel vision sometimes.

We would love to have you come join us for some games.

I am always happy to meet you at WoW, or another game store for an intro game. We could do a very small scale if you would like, but T9A plays a lot like WHFB, and even still plays very similar to 40k. Despite all the revisions to the game, it is still 80-90% the same as 8th edition. 

If you are interested in a game, post out here, or in our meetup thread. Id be happy to throw some hordes of skinks at you and teach you the game.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm currently in the mood to bust out my vampire counts army. I tried reading through the army pdf the other day, but got quickly overwhelmed by all of the new terminology. So some small learning games would be great. Maybe come October I'll be in a place to schedule some games. I gotta see if I can clear out some stuff at the swap meet and then it will provide me room in my office to start working on an army again. 🙂

• Like 2

Hey, somewhat on topic. Does 9th age allow Warhammer Siege Towers as part of my army? I really like those models and bought some, just trying to figure out how to field them. I suppose I could do a counts as chariot or monster...

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Hey, somewhat on topic. Does 9th age allow Warhammer Siege Towers as part of my army? I really like those models and bought some, just trying to figure out how to field them. I suppose I could do a counts as chariot or monster...

Nothing specific for a siege tower, but plenty of potential for it as a "counts as" model or conversion, depending on what size base you could get it on. 

4 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Nothing specific for a siege tower, but plenty of potential for it as a "counts as" model or conversion, depending on what size base you could get it on. 

It's pretty huge. those 40k flyer ovals should fit, though it will hang off a bit.

EDIT: Hmm...looking though the rules. Looks like only a small handful of models are allowed the big 100mm x 150mm bases. Daemonic legions should work...Hope Harvester with Engine of Destruction upgrade.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:55 AM, Brother Glacius said:

I'm currently in the mood to bust out my vampire counts army. I tried reading through the army pdf the other day, but got quickly overwhelmed by all of the new terminology. So some small learning games would be great. Maybe come October I'll be in a place to schedule some games. I gotta see if I can clear out some stuff at the swap meet and then it will provide me room in my office to start working on an army again. 🙂

I don't have any experience with 8th edition VC, but looking at the book I don't blame you for feeling overwhelmed. All the bloodlines and what not makes my head spin.

All the special rules names did get changed, which is a very common theme in T9A, just to protect the project from legal troubles from GW. Overall, the function of the special rules is all pretty much the same. Undead is still unbreakable, the still crumble when they lose combat, and they still have a very powerful raise mechanic that is central to their meta.

One thing to note about reading the new profiles is that rules are almost all un-nested now. By that I mean you dont have to look up the rule "undead" to find out that "undead" also provides "fear" then look up "fear" to find that it also provides immunity to "fear". It is all explicitly stated in the profile just to make things a bit easier. That also has the unfortunate side effect of putting a ton of special rules in the unit profile, which makes it seem like there are more rules, but in reality its the same amount.