New Ynnari: Best units for new Ynnari

Romans832

2 hours ago, Romans832 said:

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2019/05/10/new-ynnari-best-units-for-new-ynnari/

http://splintermind.libsyn.com/   # 63 & 64 Are all about Ynnari... #64 is supposed to be 3 hours of CraftWorld & Ynnari... can't wait to listen to that.

I go in today to theory hammer lists... might even play with Ynnari options...

can't be all bad

Ynnari is pretty interesting now, I'm still making sense of it.

The most impactful changes are:

1) with characters' keywords on their auras ALL being changed to Ynnari Reborn, auras from any HQ will affect any Ynnari unit. Biggest winners here are harlequin troupe masters and shadowseers. Re-roll wounds in CC and -1 to wound wraithblades? Yes sir.

2) Without the benefit of cult and Kabal obsessions, there is no reason not to field a mixed drukhari detachment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's worth building around specifically, but there are definitely some interesting concepts to play around with.

I've been struggling to find a list that actually has the full Triumvirate, and enough tools to feel like an actual army.

The combination of detachments that really opens it up is a Supreme Command with one of Ynnead's heralds, a troupe master, and shadowseer; and an Outrider with another of the Ynnari characters, then 3 units of 2 sky weavers with haywire and glaives.

It's about 1,100 points for all 3 ynnari characters and the harlequin units listed above. That leaves 900 points for a battalion of choice (bearing in mind you've got one of the HQs for it already). 

If looking at craftworld Eldar, storm guardians benefit the most for their troops. The Ynnari gimmick is usually 2+ to hit, re-rolling 1s, and re-rolling wounds in close combat. Those cheap chumps could be pretty fierce for their cost.

If looking at Drukhari, wyches benefit the most. And they benefit a lot too. Normally wyches like hydragauntlets for their special weapons because re-rolling wounds is important for str 3 attacks. With Ynnari, there are several sources of re-rolling wounds already, so shardnet&impaler looks a lot better. With efficient attacks, the damage 2, and ability to lock infantry in combat is quite nice.

Beyond that, just get heavy hitting CC units. Hellions, reavers, wraith blades, and shining spears all seem like they'd be pretty great in a Ynnari list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After listening I am thinking I need to pull out my available units and start toying around with lists.  I am still imagining my Harlequin - DE- CE team up flying assault-ish force... that has been on my brain for the better part of a decade lol.  If I am lucky I will get it together so I can play test it before OFCC lol.

Harlequin (RT Era bikes) as revers, hellions, and a unit of Wyches as "mimes".  More RT Harlequin jet bikes conversions for shining spears, sky weavers included along with other flying weapon platforms.  Counts as Autarch on jet bike as Baron Sathonyx... with that new NICE blade from the Ynnari artifacts... for starters.  Just have to settle on whom of Triumvirate I would take as well.. leaning on Yncarne possibly as a laughing god conversion (I have one I made from the old Necron deceiver already made).

I's a start - I will have to see how the points work out lol.

-d

• Thanks 1

If you want to be able to blend aesthetics, I've found putting harlequin heads on hellions makes for a simple but effective kitbash.

1) I hate hellion heads. 

2) Their rules are similar to harlequins with hit&run&hit stuff.

3) Harlequin kits come with plenty of extra heads (2-3 per kit)

I reeeaally want to use the Yncarne, he seems like a ton of fun. I wouldn't touch Ynnari with a 10 foot pole before this overhaul. Now I really want to try them out!

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lord Hanaur said:

Ynnari were just so unfun to play against.  Blech.  I'm happy that it's come to earth.  I actually kind of want to fight one now and see what it's like.

Totally agree.