Flames of War Minis League - second half of 2019

barca

This thread should replace "Flames of War Minis League at GG Thursdays 2019"

PROPOSED THEMES FOR THE SECOND HALF OF 2019

In anticipation of the often asked question "What are we playing?" we are proposing a set of default themes for our Battlefront tabletop miniatures games.
We now have 4 rule sets, 5 periods, 5 theatres and lots of terrain types to choose from.
If two or more people want to setup something specific, that is not the "current theme", feel free to do so on this thread.
If nothing is specified for a place and time, then expect gamers will show up with the current theme of rules, forces and terrain.

We are proposing that we use a schedule of themes for every two weeks, so that people know:

• what lists to draw up
  • which forces to bring, and
  • what terrain to bring or setup.

We are encouraging Veteran gamers to bring matched sets of armies -- when they can -- to help "jump start" new players.

We put rule sets, periods, theatres and terrain in rotation, to offer a bit of everything, while also having an emphasis on Late-War, Western Front (themed D-Day/Normandy) marked by "%"
Schedule of Themes

Calendar dates    -- Rules                                         -- Period   -- Theatre                 -- Terrain
June 16-30           -- Flames of War                         -- Mid         -- Eastern Front      -- Steppe,  city/town
July 1-15              -- Flames of War                         -- Late       -- Western Front      -- Mixed      %
July 16-31            -- Team Yankee, Cent Europe   -- 1980s    -- Central Europe     -- Mixed
August 1-15         -- Flames of War                       -- Late         -- Western Front     -- Mixed      %    - Featuring the new D-Day American Book
August 16-31       -- Flames of War                       -- Late         -- Eastern Front      -- Steppe or Wooded Swamp
September 1-15    -- Flames of War                     -- Mid          -- North Africa         -- Desert
September 16-30  -- Flames of War                     -- Late          -- D-DAY SPECIAL   -- Beach or mixed      %  - Featuring the new D-Day German Book
October 1-15         -- FOAN -- Fate of a Nation   -- 1967-73   -- Mid-East                -- Desert or Hills

October 1-15        -- Flames of War                     -- Late          -- Western Front     --  mixed      %  - Featuring the new D-Day German Book
October 16-31       -- Team Yankee, Oil War        --  1980s     -- Mid-East                -- Desert, hills or Scrub Swamp 
November 1-15     -- Flames of War                     -- Late         -- "TANKS-giving" event ramp-up      %
November 16-30  -- Flames of War                     -- Late          -- Western Front     --  mixed      %  - Featuring the new D-Day German Book
December 1-15     -- Player’s choice, TBD

December 16-31   -- Player’s choice, TBD

Points levels:

• Battlefront has changed their points for the next tournament season - Tournament Points Suggestions , so we are using: 80 & 100/110
  • Casual match-ups including NEW players: 80 points
  • Casual match-ups between VETERAN players:
  1. Mid-war     105 + 5 points as Command Cards only
  2. Late-war     100 points
  • Special Events: Points TBD by the GM
  • Custom coordination between players: use whatever points you agree upon in advance.

Mission Selection:

• I am proposing that gamers try out the “Battle Plan” method of choosing missions. It is likely that this will be the mission selection method for the next ENFILADE 2019 FoW Tournament.
  • Veteran gamers are also encouraged to try out the “Fog of War” mission cards.

Comments / suggestions are welcome, especially for December themes / events

NOTE: Mixed terrain includes a wide variety of the types that you would expected in Northern France (1940s) and West Germany (1980s)

WHERE and WHEN:

Our recurring events in SW Washington:
Weekly, on Tuesdays: Team-Yankee & FoW at FFG (Fate and Fury Games), 11am-3pm

Our recurring events in NW Oregon:
Weekly, on Tuesdays: Flames of War Tues at OCGG (Oregon City Geeks and Games), 6:30-9:30 PM
Weekly, on Thursdays: Flames of War Minis League at GG (Guardian Games), Portland, 6-10 PM

Monthly, 1st Saturday: Flames-of-War Learn-to-Play, at GG, 11:30 AM-1:30 PM
Monthly, 1st Saturday: Flames-of-War Battles, at GG, 1:30 PM-5:00 PM
Monthly, 2nd Saturday: Team-Yankee Learn-to-Play, at GG, 11:30 AM-1:30 PM,
Monthly, 2nd Saturday: Team-Yankee / Oil War Battles, at GG, 1:30-5:00 PM
Monthly, 3rd or 4th Saturday: Flames-of-War / Team Yankee at OCGG, 12-5 PM. Check the website calendar at or FB Events.

• Like 1

Thursday, 4th of July: No Flames of War Game: GG is CLOSED 5-10 PM: Early Closure for 4th of July Holiday:

Thursday, July 11 session at GG, using this theme:
July 1-15              -- Flames of War                         -- Late       -- Western Front      -- Mixed      %

I will bring Americans and Germans from the "Hit the Beach Set" for new players.

• I also want to try out this mix of forces myself, to see what terrain and missions are best for a demo with this starter set.
  • I will proxy a few units, since I don't have painted PaK 40's, nor is my US Airborne painted, yet.
  • I think the points come out to 43 vs 44.

Also bringing two Late-War All-armored force lists from Fortress Europe book: 100 pts, US Armored, 100 pts GE Panzer

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday, July 11 session at GG, using this theme:
July 1-15              -- Flames of War                         -- Late       -- Western Front      -- Mixed Terrain

I will bring Americans and Germans from the "Hit the Beach Set" for new players.

I also want to try out this mix of forces myself, to see what terrain and missions are best for a demo with this starter set.

I will proxy a few units, since I don't have painted PaK 40's, nor is my US Airborne painted, yet.

Force in "Hit The Beach" come out to 43 vs 44.

Also bringing two Late-War All-armored force lists from Fortress Europe book: 100 pts, US Armored, 100 pts GE Panzer

On 7/30/2019 at 4:55 PM, barca said:

THUR, AUG 1: Theme = LW D-Day American.

I am bringing German Panzer List from Fortress Europe and American Sherman Tank Company from D-Day American.

Change of plans: THUR, AUG 1:  I will not be attending. have a family commiyment that takes precedence.

Sse y'all next Thursday, or SAT AUG 3 at GG for Team Yankee:

• Team Yankee Learn-to-Play: August 3rd, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM at Guardian Games
  • Team Yankee Battles: August 3rd, 1:30-5:00 PM at Guardian Games

THUR, AUG 8: Theme = LW D-Day American.

I might be arriving late - between 6:30 and 6:45

I am bringing

• Fortress Europe - German Panzer List
  • Fortress Europe - German infantry company (HQ + 2 Gren PLTs) with some support
  • D-Day American - Veteran Sherman Tank Company .

Hello Gents, 

i don’t have any Flames Of War Minis. I would like to learn how to play and then pick up an army. I came by about a month ago and spoke to a few of you but could not return sooner because I have family visiting. Is there a way that you guys can fit me in for next Thursday?

18 hours ago, Manya4421 said:

Hello Gents, 

i don’t have any Flames Of War Minis. I would like to learn how to play and then pick up an army. I came by about a month ago and spoke to a few of you but could not return sooner because I have family visiting. Is there a way that you guys can fit me in for next Thursday?

Welcome back! Yes we would enjoy having a game/demo with you. What army are you interested in play?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, barca said:

THUR, AUG 8: Theme = LW D-Day American.

I might be arriving late - between 6:30 and 6:45

I am bringing

• Fortress Europe - German Panzer List
  • Fortress Europe - German infantry company (HQ + 2 Gren PLTs) with some support
  • D-Day American - Veteran Sherman Tank Company .

Good game last night Gents. Tough going for those glider troops though. Dice luck must have all been used in landing safely.

Hello Gents,