Tau, another list for OFCC consideration and input

Another newer player on my team and he's bringing the Tau he owns. Below is the list and hoping folks can weigh in on the list for OFCC. 2 Stormsurges are because that's what he owns to get to 2k. That said, thoughts? I tried to trim it from the battlescribe list.

UPDATED NEW LIST!!! 7/12/19

2000 Tournament (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [104 PL, 2,000pts]

• Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [42 PL, 772pts]

• HQ [11 PL, 214pts]

• Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 62pts]

Selections: Markerlight [3pts]

• 2x MV4 Shield Drone [20pts]

• Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 152pts]

Selections: 4. Through Boldness, Victory, 3x Fusion blaster [54pts], Shield generator [8pts], Warlord

• Vectored manoeuvring thrusters

• Troops [11 PL, 200pts]

• Strike Team [5 PL, 90pts]

• Fire Warrior Shas'ui [7pts]

Selections: Pulse rifle

• 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle [63pts]

• Strike Team [3 PL, 55pts]

• 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle [28pts]

• Strike Team [3 PL, 55pts]

• 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle [28pts]

• Elites [1 PL, 25pts]

• Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 25pts]

Selections: Markerlight [3pts], Pulse pistol [1pts]

• Fast Attack [5 PL, 92pts]

• Pathfinder Team [5 PL, 92pts]

• 6x Pathfinder [48pts]

Selections: 6x Markerlight [18pts]

• Pathfinder Shas'ui [8pts]

Selections: Markerlight [3pts]

• 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle [36pts]

Selections: 3x Ion rifle [21pts]

• Heavy Support [14 PL, 241pts]

• MV71 Sniper Drones [6 PL, 108pts]

Selections: 6x MV71 Sniper Drone [108pts]

• XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [8 PL, 133pts]

• Broadside Shas'ui [7 PL, 113pts]

Selections: 2x Smart missile system [30pts], Heavy rail rifle [35pts], Seeker missile [5pts], Shield generator [8pts]

• Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [20 PL, 392pts]

• Lord of War [20 PL, 392pts]

• KV128 Stormsurge [20 PL, 392pts]

Selections: 2x Airbursting fragmentation projector [16pts], Advanced targeting system [18pts], Cluster rocket system [25pts], 4x Destroyer missile [40pts], Pulse blastcannon [43pts], Shield generator [40pts], 2x Smart missile system [30pts]

• Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [42 PL, 836pts]

• No Force Org Slot

• T'au Empire Sept Choice

Selections: T'au Sept

• HQ [8 PL, 164pts]

• Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 164pts]

Selections: 3x Cyclic ion blaster [54pts], Shield generator [8pts], XV8-02 Crisis Iridium battlesuit [10pts]

• Elites [32 PL, 632pts]

• DX-4 Technical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]

Selections: 2x DX-4 Technical Drone [2 PL, 32pts]

• DX-4 Technical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]

Selections: 2x DX-4 Technical Drone [2 PL, 32pts]

• XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [16 PL, 345pts]

Selections: 2x Smart missile system [30pts], Advanced targeting system [18pts], Ion accelerator [50pts], 2x MV84 Shielded Missile Drone [50pts], Target lock [12pts]

• XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [12 PL, 223pts]

• Crisis Shas'ui [71pts]

Selections: 2x Cyclic ion blaster [36pts], Shield generator [8pts]

• Crisis Shas'ui [71pts]

Selections: 2x Cyclic ion blaster [36pts], Shield generator [8pts]

• Crisis Shas'vre [81pts]

Selections: 2x Cyclic ion blaster [36pts], Shield generator [8pts], XV8-02 Crisis Iridium battlesuit [10pts]

• Fast Attack [2 PL, 40pts]

• Tactical Drones [2 PL, 40pts]

• 4x MV4 Shield Drone [40pts]

• Like 1

I'm not super familiar with tau anymore, but 2 stormsurges and a riptide seems like a lot for the OFCC.

That said, I'm not about telling a new player that he can't come or to buy/paint a new list to be allowed in (not that I have a say in that, but in spirit.). If you can vouch for his personality, and understand that it could make match-making more difficult and that sportsmanship may take a hit, I bet it'll work out.

• Like 2

Didn't see Riptide in there.

It's all he owns, but even against a knight list, or someone with anti tank? You're right, this list would be opponent specific.

This would also be our top list, not meant to be harsh, but he'd be going against harder lists in matchups. The rest of the team is 2 mediocre lists and a soft list. I played against a 3 knight and 4 knight list last year, this seems like they'd be on par?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

This would also be our top list, not meant to be harsh, but he'd be going against harder lists in matchups. The rest of the team is 2 mediocre lists and a soft list. I played against a 3 knight and 4 knight list last year, this seems like they'd be on par?

Yep! We had an all knight list on our team last year and he bagged 3 favorite opponent pins! 

I'm the mean(ish) list for our team this year. It's got the triple ravagers that's a staple for competitive Drukhari, but since I'm running Ynnari, I don't have the relic, warlord trait, or stratagem that makes them so competitive.

I'd happily fight that Tau list, not sure how it would go!

• Like 1

Depends on the matchup. An opponent that tries to keep the game at range will struggle against TAU, and stormsurges in particular.

Regarding LOWs, GW is mistaken to consider the stormsurges a LOW. It's an expensive Heavy slot, or should be.

Stormsurges are T7. They have lots of shooting, but not more than you'd be able to buy with the same number of points of other TAU.

In terms of utilities, stormsurges have 4x single use destroyer missiles each, which is the only TAU shooting option which deal mortal wounds - everything else for TAU requires volume fire to get past invulnerable saves.

And remember, TAU have no psykers.

58 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

The Shield Drones are probably better as less units.  

Two StormSurges AND a Riptide seems kinda mean for a friendly event.  But the event has changed so I speak only in generalities on that one.  I'd drop one.  Theres a lot you can do with those points.

Riptides, really should be LOWs for TAU.

Current list is illegal. TAU have a 0-1 cap on any "commander" models per detachment.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, Dark Trainer said:

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [8 PL, 151pts]

• Selections: 2x Cyclic ion blaster [36pts], Drone controller [5pts], Shield generator [8pts], XV8-02 Crisis Iridium battlesuit [10pts]

• Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 152pts]

• Vectored manoeuvring thrusters

• Selections: 4. Through Boldness, Victory, 3x Fusion blaster [54pts], Shield generator [8pts], Warlord

This doesn't work. They'd need to be in different detachments.

It's kinda a silly limitation, but the profile difference between TAU commanders and basic suits is so great that you'd never field non-commanders if it were an option. The 0-1 commander cap is kinda a lazy solution, but it does encourage list diversity.

Looks legal.

Probably ofcc friendly.

Though if really looking for some OFCC fun, I recommend the Onager Gauntlet on the Coldstar. It's not very effective, but turn 1 charges with TAU are definitely amusing. If you go that route, might want to make the other battlesuit into your warlord, just because the coldstar would likely be disposable at that point...

9 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

I talked to him, he figured he could drop 1 stormsurge for battle suits he got from the starter sets. Meaning list has 1 riptide and 1 surge.

Thoughts?

It's fine that way, I think.

Crisis Teams are pretty normal fare for any T'au force.  A Stingwing unit would be super awesome though.  Hehehe.

• Like 1

I'm the Tau guy in question.  I'm new to the group, and new to Warhammer (about a year?). 

I am considering dropping the RipTide and buying some more pathfinders and maybe another start collecting box.  I do love the markerlights...

Any thoughts?  Would that make it more OFCC friendly?

18 minutes ago, BigFred said:

I'm the Tau guy in question.  I'm new to the group, and new to Warhammer (about a year?). 

I am considering dropping the RipTide and buying some more pathfinders and maybe another start collecting box.  I do love the markerlights...

Any thoughts?  Would that make it more OFCC friendly?

So zero riptides and a single stormsurge, or do you mean switching to dual stormsurges? OFCC friendly isn't just about making the list softer.

If looking for OFCC friendly, try to figure out a way to do something in the assault phase (like purposely getting into melee), it's not overly effective, but it definitely makes tau more fun to play against. If you have melee units, which is very common in other armies, having your melee units get shot to death isn't as fun. At least give some of their melee units a chance at melee. Ever watch one of those star wars battles? It's like that, both sides should have points in the game where it seems like they are doing well. 

Build a list that allows the opponent's units to shine, while still giving your units a chance to shine, that's the goal here. 

20 minutes ago, BigFred said:

Oh, welcome to the forums and the hobby. :D