Bolt Action group?

Threejacks

I see a couple posts about the game here and was wondering if theres a regular group in the Portland area?.Its a bit of a trek for me to head over to Vancouver but im 5 mins or so off 205 in the Milwaukie area and can head that way if needed:)

I can usually make game nights at WoW..well at least a couple a month,heh.

Ive been wanting to get back into some Historical gaming as I used to have a rather large collection of ASL and other AH games from the 70`s and 80`s(Still have some of them even) .Anyhow being a 40k and WHFB player I really like the scale of Bolt Action for modeling,i know Flames of War is more popular but I find the models just too small for my taste as well as my aging eyes,lol.Plus I really like the ruleset for BA seems very much an "easy to play hard to master" kind of game.

was down at GG today and saw the british Lee tank. Damn that thing is sexy.

That's were I got the Normandy kit yesterday hehe..I didn't check over the other stuff as I was on the clock at work and just stopping by but yeah I really like the vehicles in this game as I used to have a rather large collection of 1/72nd scale tanks and airplanes years ago.Looking forward to some military modeling.

I would assume the Grant/Lee`s would have the 75mm inf gun in the hull along with the 37mm AT gun in the turret AND at least a 30cal on the spindle,that is indeed a lot of guns for one tank

Ill have to get my troopies all assembled then post up here and set something up with ya all:)

• 1 month later...

I'm based up in Vancouver, wa and a few of us have purchased starter sets, armies etc. so give us a couple of months to get everything painted and the rules down and I'm sure we could head down to Portland to game some time! :)

Cool!

Im working through the American troops first and will probably add to them first with a Stuart or M8 AC.

I assume that normal games usually pit Axis vs Allied forces?

Either way I want to get the German troops added to as well.Maybe a Linx or a stug as I would also like to have a good solid Wehrmacht midwar build to field.

Cool!

Im working through the American troops first and will probably add to them first with a Stuart or M8 AC.

I assume that normal games usually pit Axis vs Allied forces?

Either way I want to get the German troops added to as well.Maybe a Linx or a stug as I would also like to have a good solid Wehrmacht midwar build to field.

Sounds great! I am working on a Waffen SS pure list at the moment mid to late war western front and its proving to take ages to make sure i get the correct insignia on the uniforms etc! 

Is there a decent starting point value on armies? a couple of us are thinking of running 1000/1500 pt armies? is that about right? With a vet king tiger coming in at 666pts i can't fit much in if i take it! LOL

I look forward to hopefully getting onto a battlefield soon with them! 

Sam

From what ive read about army sizes it seems the most common is 1000 with smallish starter/learning games being 500 and "Large" battles being 1250-1500 pts.

As for your KT you will be happy to know that a major "Tank Battle" supplement will be releasing soon adding rules and scenarios that only use tanks/mechanized infantry units :cool:

• Like 1

Yeah I popped down to Bridgetown at the weekend and the guy behind the counter indicated the new supplement! 

I am hoping for more integrated airplanes into the game as well so i can use my 1/48 scale Me109's! :)

Are you happy with the scale of the vehicles in Bolt Action? the 1/56th scale stuff looks small against the figures so i got myself some 1/48 scale and it looks a ton better scale wise. it will be harder to game with though as the models are slightly larger hence cover will be harder to come by! Im a stickler for scale being true though and realize majority of people run with the warlord games models. Whats your view?

Yeah I popped down to Bridgetown at the weekend and the guy behind the counter indicated the new supplement! 

I am hoping for more integrated airplanes into the game as well so i can use my 1/48 scale Me109's! :)

Are you happy with the scale of the vehicles in Bolt Action? the 1/56th scale stuff looks small against the figures so i got myself some 1/48 scale and it looks a ton better scale wise. it will be harder to game with though as the models are slightly larger hence cover will be harder to come by! Im a stickler for scale being true though and realize majority of people run with the warlord games models. Whats your view?

I haven't built any scale military stuff for many years(like 25 years or so,heh) but I used to have a collection of 1/72 scale warbirds and a fair amount of tanks.I did some work in 1/32 with vehicles and probably tried some 1/48th at some point but yeah I would be all for using 1/48th ..though I would think that if one was going to field multiples of the same vehicle(when that is in the rules) then It would probably look best if they were all the same scale.

Ive yet to get my US Army Bundle(still in transit) but its supposed to have a Sherman and an M3 HT so I can see what the scale looks like as well.Actually I know that Warlords models are pretty nice and have good detail but they are pretty much all molded together with just guns and a few details to assemble or magnetize..I would much prefer to do assembly on full kits with possible interior work and many possible details.

Either way fielding the larger scale would likely just give a slight disadvantage to the models owner anyway so there shouldn't be a problem in game terms.

Heres a forum link from the Warlord game forums discussing this very issue,looks like some good info in there:)

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11035

• Like 1

Great link and great to see so much input into the hobbie from so many different people.

I am gonna stick to1/48 across the board for my vehicles and use the warlord mini's as I think they look great!

Is there anywhere to stick WIP and such devoted to bolt action here or are we sticking them in artificers forge section?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...