Quis custodiet ipsos crucesignatis?

Astaroda Crusade Order of Battle

Faction: Talons of the Emperor

Requisition Points: 0 Unspent, 8 Total

• Warlord Trait (1)

• Increase Supply Limit (7)

Supply Limit: 81 / 85 PL

+ HQ +

• Amphitryon Shield-Captain [6 PL, 108pts] Castellan Axe, Misericordia; Warlord Trait: Sally Forth 

• Lelex Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 178pts] Interceptor Lance, Misericordia, Salvo Launcher

+ Troops +

Squad Heracleidae Custodian Guard Squad [8 PL, 160pts] Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield (x1), Guardian Spear, Misericordia (x2)

Squad  Maccabæus Custodian Guard Squad [8 PL, 168pts] Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield (x3)

Squad Chironidae Sagittarum Custodians [12 PL, 265pts] Adrastus Bolt Caliver, Misericordia (x5)

+ Elites +

Ajax Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125] Storm Shield, Vexilla Magnifica

Lacedaemon Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought [9 PL, 160pts] Achillus Dreadapear, Infernus Incinerator (x2)

Squad Nestoridae Aquilon Terminator Squad [12 PL, 264pts] Infernus Firepike, Solerite Power Talon, Misericordia (x3)

Squad Atrytone Prosecutors Squad [3 PL, 60pts] Boltguns, Psyk-Out Grenades (x5)

Squad Promachos Vigilators Squad [4 PL, 65pts] Executioner Greatblades, Psyk-Out Grenades (x5)

+ Dedicated Transport +

Hippogryphe Null-Maiden Rhino [4 PL, 80pts] Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer Missile

• Like 2

I just like being precise. I’m a pedantic jerk, even towards myself.

I’d prefer to just go with straight Power Level, but I seem to be distinctly in the minority on that front. But having everyone’s Crusade Order of Battle be based on PL and individual missions be played with Matched Play Points does seem like a good compromise.

• Like 1

The audio sensors were always the first sense to come back online, followed 0.887 milliseconds later by his visual sensors, with tactile taking a full 0.357 seconds to activate. Lacedaemon had hated those 0.887 milliseconds for the last two millennia. He'd reported the failings to the armory, but there was nothing to be done. Lacedemon heard the clatter of feet and the rumble of promethium engines around him. Beneath the commotion was the subtle hum of a Gellar field. Standing before him was Amphitryon, who had once stood beside him in life.

"Are you awake, my friend?"

"I am awake, Shield-Captain. Does my Emperor need me?"

"It is, my friend. For He has sent us forth once again."

Atmospheric sensors took in samples of the surrounding air. Promethium fumes in abundance. Machine oil. The sacred incense of the Martian cult. Human respiration and perspiration. All the characteristic smells of the strike cruiser Magna Votum that had been his home for the last three months, though he had slept through that time without stirring. A crane hoisted Lacedaemon's dreadnought hull from the ground as the servo-arms of the armorers lifted the bulky metal legs to their mounting brackets.

"How long have I slumbered, Shield-Captain?"

"Warp transit time 63 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes with standard margin of error for Empyrean displacement. We are now on final approach of the Imperial world of Astaroda."

"It is good to be among the stars again, Shield-Captain." Lacedaemon's massive auramite gauntlets flexed into fists as he tested his neural connection... 0.005% loss in left hand response time. He issued a silent binary command to the armorers, who quickly began to adjust the fiber optic bundles in his left forearm. "The Imperial Regent has another task for us?"

"The Lord Commander of the Imperium's Indomitus Crusade continues, my friend. Elements of the Imperial Fists and White Scars chapters of the Adeptus Astartes are attempting to secure the world of Astraoda as a 'beachhead' for further thrusts into the Imperium Nihilus. At the behest of the Imperial Regent, we are here to ensure the safety of the senior leadership of their war council."

"At the behest of the Imperial Regent..." Lacedaemon repeated as the armorers attached the infernus incinerators to his forearms, "...and at the behest of the Emperor?"

"The Eyes of the Emperor report that a powerful servant of the one the Aeldari name She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has become interested in the fate of Astaroda. The Emperor's Tarot indicates that success of the Slaanesh cults here poses an unacceptable threat to Terra."

"Understood, Shield-Captain. Our duty is clear. Our watch in unending."

• Like 2

Hi Ish 🙂 was doing some searching for some crusade lists to run for my Custodes. Came across your thread above and couldn't help but notice the awesome black and white picture at the top. As bizarre and random as it sounds, that is actually a custom commissioned piece of art my friends gave me as a birthday present... of me! The artist replicated one of my photos and made me a Custodian (name: Hajaston), and my friends mocked up a full character sheet as well and back story based on my past - best present ever being the huge Custodes fan I am 😄

• Like 1

I found it via Google Image Search, using the search string “adeptus custodes artwork black and white” and scrolling down until I saw something I liked.

I’m not trying to claim credit for it or that it’s my original artwork in any way, shape, or form. If the original artist prefers I take it down, I’m happy to oblige. 

• Like 2

So here’s the “Horde-stodes” list I’ve been pondering. On the one hand, it is severely lacking in mobility and long-ranged shooting. On the other hand, it’s twenty-three infantry models that have T5 2+/4++ and another ten that have a T5 2+/3++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [99 PL, 1,994pts, 11CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Shield Host: Solar Watch

+ Stratagems +

Ten Thousand Heroes [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 190pts]: Warlord Trait: Champion of the Imperium, Warlord

Shield-Captain [6 PL, 103pts, -1CP]: Guardian Spear, Misericordia, Warlord Trait: Sally Forth, Ten Thousand Heroes, Relic Eagle's Eye

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [13 PL, 259pts]
. Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield (x2)
. Custodian: Guardian Spear (x3)

Custodian Guard Squad with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears [13 PL, 290pts]
. Custodian: Misericordia, Pyrithite Spear (x5)

Sagittarum Custodians [12 PL, 250pts]: Sagittarum Custodian (x5)

+ Elites +

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm Shield, Vexilla Magnifica

++ Total: [99 PL, 1,994pts, 11CP] ++

• Like 2

Linebreaker scores 4 VP at the end of every turn that you have non-Aircraft models wholly within the enemy deployment zone; to max out this score I would need to get one unit into the enemy deployment zone and keep them alive for four turns.

There’s 24” between deployment zones in the vast majority of missions. Even with the bonus 1” of Movement from the Sally Forth Warlord Trait and a lucky six on my Advancement roll my guys are moving a maximum of 14”. Probably only 9 to 10” on average. I have the option to Deep Strike, of course, via the FGLTC stratagem but most opponents will see that coming a mile off and do their best to screen me out. On the other hand, once my guys do get into the enemy deployment zone they’re going to take a lot of effort to remove. I can probably score this secondary objective three out of five turns, with four being an uncertain (but not unbelievable) possibility.

Grind Them Down is secondary objective that scores 3 VP in a battle round in which you destroy more enemy units than you lost friendly units. I’d have to destroy more units than my opponent does for five (out of a possible five) turns to get the maximum of 15. Now, it’s certainly possible that there will be turns where I loose zero units and it will probably be rare for me to loose more than one unit in any given turn. The problem is that I’m probably not going to be able to reliably destroy any enemy units until turn three or later. And I’d have to wipe out one or more each turn without taking any significant losses... Hard to see this ever getting maxed out, but it’s probably worth 6 to 9 VP.

Abhor the Witch requires that I have no Psykers (easily done) and nets me 5 VP for every enemy  Psyker Character killed and 3 VP for every Psyker unit. This is an excellent pick against Thousand Sons, Dæmons, and Craftworld Eldar. With some utility against Space Marines (Chaos and Original Recipe) and Tyranids. Probably not a “go to,” but definitely one that I’d want to keep in my back pocket for those match-ups. (See also Titan Slayers for matchups against Knights.)

Instead, I think my “go to” will be Assassinate – scoring 3 VP at the end of the game for every enemy Character that is killed.  I’m going to be aiming to kill them anyway and between the 2-4 HQs most armies have and the 3-5 buffing units most armies have in their Elites slot (Banners, Medics, etc.) this should be easy enough to milk 9-12 VP from. With the full 15 VP being a distinct possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mulgrok said:

The golden tide.  The wave probably crushes all in its path.

It’ll be pretty killy in mêlée and probably one of the most durable armies in 40k. But just killing isn’t enough to win anymore. If my opponent can successfully screen me out of capturing primary Objectives and minimize my secondary Objective game... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 11:02 PM, Ish said:

It’ll be pretty killy in mêlée and probably one of the most durable armies in 40k. But just killing isn’t enough to win anymore. If my opponent can successfully screen me out of capturing primary Objectives and minimize my secondary Objective game... 

"If my opponent can play the game..."

Well, I assume my opponent will try to prevent me from capturing the Objectives, it’s a question of whether or not they’ll be successful... and what I can do to prevent it.

Considering every single model in my list has ObSec and that I have a lot of models for a Custodes army, this might be one of the few ways to build a Custodes list where the primary Objectives are actually the primary means of scoring. The trick will be in trying to goad them into getting their own ObSec units out of position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1