So...new edition coming soon

16 hours ago, Ish said:

Harrumph! I say to you, sir. Everything you said is completely accurate and truthful, but nevertheless— Harrumph! 

I'm still struggling with the fact that I didn't post any of this. AoS has some amazing models. I've even bought a few armes just because I liked the models. But I feel absolutely no connection to the game at all. There is a major piece missing with AoS and that is "why does any of this matter?"

The Old World made sense. The struggle the various races had made sense. It gave you one more reason to field an army. And maybe it is silly, but it is important. I painted up a dwarf army because I wanted to help take back the holds, or drive away the gobbos. I own a Kharadron army. Sizeable too. It sits there in boxes because other than "cool models" there is no connection.

Does that make me a Grognard? I guess it does. I've tried reading the fluff of AoS...it just seems like an afterthought to me. And honestly, it seems like they started from "lets make something that is 100% our own IP." I still don't fully get the realms and whatnot. I've tried.  I'm waiting for the Old World to come back.

I think AoS is a fine game mechanically, with a few of the quibbles about this unit or that unit, a few ambiguities, and a couple of typos... But that’s typical of any complex game.

Games Workshop makes fabulous miniatures, that’s simply not a question. Even the models that I don’t particularly like the looks of (e.g., Ossiarchs) are extremely well designed, highly detailed, et cetera.

But, man, do I hate the AoS setting. Although there is definitely a part of me that has a lot of nostalgic affection for the old WHFB world (having spent decades of my life playing WHFB, WHFRP, etc) but it’s also just my natural aversion to the super-super-super high magic concept of cuasual planar travel and all the other Magic: The Gathering-ness of it. 

I just pretend that my Orcs are still stomping around the Old World.