TY House Soviets

Justjokin

I've been building an American force for years as more of a hobby, than having the real gumption to go out and game. But I knew I'd eventually want an OpFor at home for skirmishes and intro games. So I started printing T-72s, then T-55AMs, then Gaskins...  So anyways, it was time to figure out how I wanted to paint them.  @Nick!'s beautiful work, and detail/decal work isn't something I think I have the time or energy to invest, or talent, for that matter. But I am looking for something that catches my eye on my table, and that I can reproduce fairly quickly.  

Base coat explorations:

Started with a rattle can of Soviet Green from the TY line. This worked good, but i've got less than a half can left and I'm not finding anymore online, so I wanted something I can mix myself and can shoot through an airbrush.  

(too much)Vallejo Black armor wash applied, needed to be more selective rather than the full washdown: 

image.png.01fbd65badee6de815c51599ad5c0b0e.png

Then I started playing around with adding sepia ink to US Dark Olive, then gave a dry brush of heavy yellow brown: This one 'popped' off of the table in a way that I knew wouldn't be to realistic, but I thought it looked cool. The dark brown green of the color was really interesting, but didn't match any photos I could find.  

image.png.75b946c182b8f8bcd818ae2eebe73c17.png

I discover Vallejo 70-894 Cam Olive Green and start playing around with that and highlights of Iraqi sand and Yellow Sand. 

image.png.f5db4621896eb4106ca1541baae8d9bc.png

image.png.8df4a5138cae0806228b44767cf300da.png

So I'm getting close, but I think I need an armor wash before the highlight. Or maybe armor wash, clean up with base color drybrush, then lighter drybrush with the sand highlight.  I'll probably go with Iraqi sand, as the Yellow sand is a little too electric.

image.png.fac215db06d2911559c1f80452af121b.png

Having fun with this, and really thinking about what I will want to do with my Americans and West Germans in the long run...

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Looks really good @Justjokin!   I wouldn't worry too much about matching photos- every tank factory and unit seemed to have a different shade of green.  I can count 3 different greens in this one picture: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/270356783857560420/

My own method is: army painter grey primer, Vallejo ww2 Russian infantry uniform spray, army painter soft tone and black tone(applied to different areas, with a brush), vallejo Iraqi sand drybrush.  Decals set with the microsol duo, which looks really nice.  I also slather vallejo textured mud base stuff over the wheels- I think most wargaming tanks look far too 'clean'.  Testors dullocat over the whole thing.  

Funny thing, I forgot the primer coat on my BMP's.  It's fine, as the Vallejo spray also acts as a primer, but it gives them a slightly different color.

• Like 2

What's cool about this picture, is it captures 2 different phases of a potential painting process, it also shows two different levels of success printing the same slt 3d file on the same printer, with different settings, and quality/age of resin.

Paint: Vallejo 70-894 Cam Olive Green, dry brush Iraqi Sand, darker model has a full wash of p3 armor wash, but I think most black washes will work. Probably overdone.

Printer: Elegoo Mars 2 Pro

Resin: Elegoo Grey

Lighter tank was expired resin by 2 or 3 months. Likely printed in the garage with ambient temp below 72f. Probably my first try at ChituBox settings for this printer. 

Darker tank, fresh resin. Dialed in printer settings. Moved the printer to my hobby space, from my garage. Appropriate ventilation available. 

The quality difference is most noticeable on the reactive armor bricks on the turrets.  

image.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, Justjokin said:

What's cool about this picture, is it captures 2 different phases of a potential painting process, it also shows two different levels of success printing the same slt 3d file on the same printer, with different settings, and quality/age of resin.

Paint: Vallejo 70-894 Cam Olive Green, dry brush Iraqi Sand, darker model has a full wash of p3 armor wash, but I think most black washes will work. Probably overdone.

Resin: Elegoo Grey

Lighter tank was expired resin by 2 or 3 months. Likely printed in the garage with ambient temp below 72f. Probably my first try at ChituBox settings for this printer. 

Darker tank, fresh resin. Dialed in printer settings. Moved the printer to my hobby space, from my garage. Appropriate ventilation available. 

The quality difference is most noticeable on the reactive armor bricks on the turrets.  

image.png

These look great! I just picked up a 3D printer myself. Where did you get your stl from?

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, Atules said:

I JUSt picked this printer up... hoping to get it set up and functioning this weekend. I will be replacing my older photon S - looks like a solid machine so far. - just out of the box last night.

-d

• Like 1