Looking for TY players in PDX

Atules

Whoa! Don't have to wait that long! I'm starting my polish and got a pretty good Brit army so you can always borrow some my minis if you need to. We'll also do some paint nights to get to know folks. Just join us for paint night to talk TY and throw some dice. No worries!

• Like 1

Thanks for getting the convo going @Atules@Brother Glacius, come on down, army ready or not!

Wait, when is this this? What did I just kind of commit myself to?🙂

Beyond that, what is the smallest engagement that you can play that gives you a reasonable taste of what Team Yankee is like to play? 60 Points? 100 Points? I watched a battle report the other day that had no Air/Helicopters or Artillery, so it was really just a good exploration of the tank mechanics. 

I'm reminded of @Raindog's excellent Infinity Bootcamps to learn the basic mechanics of that game. The immediate next step should be a relatively short/small/simple match. Something like clicking 'Instant Action' in Mechwarrior video games. 2 simple core groups, no frills, but spaced out enough to start to learn maneuver and fire in terrain.

How do you break down learning a game system is a way that is fun, effective, and repeatable? I add repeatable because it is likely an experienced player takes multiple new players through a learning match, and a new player may want to go through it more than once, or as a refresher..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Justjokin said:

Thanks for getting the convo going @Atules@Brother Glacius, come on down, army ready or not!

Wait, when is this this? What did I just kind of commit myself to?🙂

Beyond that, what is the smallest engagement that you can play that gives you a reasonable taste of what Team Yankee is like to play? 60 Points? 100 Points? I watched a battle report the other day that had no Air/Helicopters or Artillery, so it was really just a good exploration of the tank mechanics. 

I'm reminded of @Raindog's excellent Infinity Bootcamps to learn the basic mechanics of that game. The immediate next step should be a relatively short/small/simple match. Something like clicking 'Instant Action' in Mechwarrior video games. 2 simple core groups, no frills, but spaced out enough to start to learn maneuver and fire in terrain.

How do you break down learning a game system is a way that is fun, effective, and repeatable? I add repeatable because it is likely an experienced player takes multiple new players through a learning match, and a new player may want to go through it more than once, or as a refresher..

There are a lot of great learn to play videos. I think going with 50pts and starting with tanks is a good approach to get used to the terrain rules and give people a feel how the mechanics work. Plus, things blow up so quickly that it makes the games really short! Maybe 75pts to get a taste of everything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've played a couple of games so far, 100pts being the largest. One thing about TY is that the point difference between units can be quite large. In all honestly, some units are as small as 1 point, while the heavy tanks can easily get to 60+ points for a single unit. I'd recommend trying to keep units under 20pts so that you have enough to cover objectives and handle reserve deployment.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I've played a couple of games so far, 100pts being the largest. One thing about TY is that the point difference between units can be quite large. In all honestly, some units are as small as 1 point, while the heavy tanks can easily get to 60+ points for a single unit. I'd recommend trying to keep units under 20pts so that you have enough to cover objectives and handle reserve deployment.

For sure! Seems like there are a few folks interested. Me and my buddy are just happy to play. If we got 1 or two more that would be awesome. Some dice rolling and pretty cool terrain. I've been amassing battlefront terrain for the past year or so. Love to see them on the table! Or even do a campaign I think would be fun.

• Like 1

I think it's a great list. It's a simple list that give you a good variety of units to start off with. For the Soviet list I'm leaning towards going with two companies instead of 3. Gives the two companies better staying power. If any of those companies take 2 casualties they'd be forced to take a morale check. With Abrams that's a good possibility! 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Still sounds like a great idea! Toss out a date or two! 

Tuesday is also TY day down at Geeks and Games in Oregon City. That is a far trek for me, but I try to make it out there for occasional purchases because I love that they keep it in stock. Picked up BMD, BTR-D, and Nona kits just yesterday.

Fixin' broken image: image.thumb.png.26989fe403e74921236e8502fd362a42.png

+1

image.thumb.png.eac4595da8338e85c6d79eb5b2399c4c.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm not too far from RCG. But my play time is severely limited currently. That being said, I'd be up for some small games myself.

I hear ya man. If you can't make it out this time around just let us know. I'd like to setup one meet up a month pending on who is available.

• Like 1