OFCC Wood Elf Comp

actually i am pretty sure the new wood elves are a bad matchup for beastmen.  Until they get a new book atleast

Why would they be a bad match up?  Most beastmen armies have at least 3 hordes.  Wood elves need 5's to wound them with the majority of their shooting.  Plus, beastmen have the option to ambush with decent size units as well.  I think beastmen have a pretty solid chance against wood elves.

Wild Riders need 4's to wound and more often than not, the beastmen units will be steadfast and then reform.  Then the wild riders are woudning on 5's and get hit by a ton of attacks.  I think beastmen will be ok against wood elves.  Let's not forget the doombull who could cross the table pretty fast in a unit of minotaurs.  They also have the ability to pack a bunch of chariots into an army as well.  Sure, they have no shooting, but they get across the table pretty fast.

What if they are playing meeting engagement?  The beastmen are crossing that gap fast.  Are they the best answer, probably not.  However, I just don't think they will do horrible against wood elves.  Three hordes take up a lot of table space.  Then you put chariots on flanks, and have a mino unit somewhere.  Wood elves aren't going to be scouting behind the lines and a beastmen player could utilize what I call "closing the door" on them.

Wild Riders need 4's to wound and more often than not, the beastmen units will be steadfast and then reform.  Then the wild riders are woudning on 5's and get hit by a ton of attacks.  I think beastmen will be ok against wood elves.  Let's not forget the doombull who could cross the table pretty fast in a unit of minotaurs.  They also have the ability to pack a bunch of chariots into an army as well.  Sure, they have no shooting, but they get across the table pretty fast.

What if they are playing meeting engagement?  The beastmen are crossing that gap fast.  Are they the best answer, probably not.  However, I just don't think they will do horrible against wood elves.  Three hordes take up a lot of table space.  Then you put chariots on flanks, and have a mino unit somewhere.  Wood elves aren't going to be scouting behind the lines and a beastmen player could utilize what I call "closing the door" on them.

Wood Elves are a bad matchup for woodies because you'll never, ever catch them. They'll run around you, blocking your hordes with double-fleeing eagles, and deleting the majority of a horde a turn with withering+weight of fire+magic missiles. It's what they do to any CC-only army. All you can do is hope the WE player screws up and lets you catch him, otherwise it's curtains.

• Like 1

They actually need 3's as they are str 5 on the charge. A unit of 6 wild riders throws out nineteen WS 5 str 5 attacks that reroll misses. It also throws out twelve str 4 attacks. That will kill A LOT of beastmen. They won't charge till they have thinned put the unit enough with shooting. They might even charge you with two units of 6 which should kill almost 30 gor/bestigor. Having no shooting to thin out the wild rider units is a death sentence

Wild Riders have several weakness.

1) They are frenzied and will occasionally make stupid charges. 

2) They are really not that armored. Magic missiles and shooting makes them evaporate. 

3) They can't flee.

4) The have to overrun and are placed in bad positions from being forced to overrun.

Their main strength is a boatload of attack dice. 25 attacks for a unit of 5 is insane. 

Yes, I know. You move yor chaff to redirect or force them to move into a differnt position. Beastmen have the best chaff.

Da fuq?!? (I hope this is a joke :tongue: ) If you are referring to their whole army as chaff (as in, they are worthless throwaways), then yes, I guess it's all chaff. But true chaff has to be HE. Hands down. Eagles and core Reavers = best chaff ever... Yes dark riders are slightly better than Reavers, but Eagles beat out anything anyone else can field with regards to chaff. 20" fly move, multi-role (redirectors, railroaders, war machine hunters, weapon team hunters, march blockers, flank and rear charging for CR, etc), can hunt down other chaff with WS5, S4, T4, 3W, and has moderate leadership to rally in case you choose to flee. All for 50 points, and the possibility for upgrades like ASF with I4. Not only are they the very definition of chaff, their multiple roles and incredibly cheap cost make them the best chaff in the game. Period.

Reavers in core is incredible. For 80 points you get almost all the functionality of an eagle. 18" fast cav move, fills all the same roles, can be upgraded (I almost always give spears and bows for multi-role functionality) to be S4 on the charge, have 5 shots a round, even when they flee and rally or march and shoot, offering something the eagles don't, multi-threat in range and close combat, as well as not being pinned down by anti-fly spells.

With two eagles, and as many core Reaver 5-man units as you want, it is an army bred to control the battlefield. These are the best throwaway units in Warhammer.

Boom. Knowledge dropped.

*drops mic*

• Like 1