OFCC Wood Elf Comp

1. You may have 2 of the following in an army (Lore of Death, Lore of Shadow, Acorn of the Ages, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways)

2. No More than a combination of 60 Glade Guard , Glade Riders, and Deepwood Scouts. 

3. WRs and SotTs are limited to 3 units totaling no more than 20 models.  Max 2 of either unit.

That's funny.  I was actually holding the Tomb Kings book today and flipping through the pages.  If it weren't for the Bret book soon, I was going to purchase the Tomb Kings army book tonight.

That is funny.

Will be glad to see the Brets come out soon.

As for the Wood Elf comp from what I see it all looks about right. Enough room for a solid list without the busted lists being in there. Those light cavs are solid and having a mix will be more fun to play against with a good mix.

I'm not in agreeance with only allowing 10 warlocks for dark elves but wood elves can take 20 wild riders or 20 sisters or 10 of each. Two units of 10 wild riders can take on a unit of 25 plus on their own. I have to disagree with this decision.

A unit of 10 warlocks on the charge pack 15 attacks. A unit of 10 wild riders on the charge pack 20 attacks. With the current comp restrictions, you could only be hit with 1 unit of warlocks and 2 units of wild riders.

The 2 units of wild riders also come at a greater point cost, lack a 4++, and can't cast spells.   They are different units with different rolls in armies with different tools.  I can understand the fear that somebody might load up on wild riders in the hopes that they can sweep up the enemy, but they are also a vulnerable unit that can be shot and spelled to death.  Anyone who puts that many points into those units deserves for them to be good, but has to accept the drawbacks.  

Warlocks on the other hand have decent protection against shooting and magic, and never actually have to get into combat to be effective.  I see exactly why they would be limited more than the riders.

• Like 2

It's not just the wild riders.  That was just a combat comparison.  You could have 2 mobile mage bunkers with 10 dudes each and both units could possibly hit two different units with curse.  You have the potential to devestate combat blocks before combat hits.  Failing dangerous terrain tests on 1's and 2's is huge (especially if they are normally in open terrian).  Wood Elves don't have access to the same things that dark elves do because they operate completely different that dark elves.  You don't have to get into combat if you don't want to.

10 warlocks are not the most undercosted unit in the game.  Demigryphs are more undercoasted than warlocks.  You can't disrupt ranks with only 5 warlocks either.

So yes, while I intitially just compared them to wild riders, that was just 1 comparison.  Here's another example:

2 units of 7 wild riders (21 attacks each)

1 unit of 5-6 sister for mage bunker

2 units of 10 sisters for 2 mage bunkers (double curse)

2 units of 5 sisters for 2 mage bunkers and solely used to cast curse at long range

1 unit of 10 wild riders

Again, I just don't see this any less effective than 10 warlocks.  The combat effectiveness of wild riders compared to warlocks is superior.  The potential double curse is much more superior to soulblight.  Curse kills models when they move, while soulblight is used to help wound (not neccessarily leads to kills).  I get it, you could pack two extra doombolts with 2 units of warlocks; however, you effectively need 8 power dice to continously get the 12 needed to cast the spell (and that means those are the only two spells you are casting).

IMO, warlocks are better in combat than sisters, but the sisters have better table control becaue of curse.

Wood Elves also have no Cold One Knights or chariots, or 4+ save core fast cav, or Cauldrons, or Cloak or Twilight, table wide murderous prowess..........

You're right, they don't.  We could compare any army agaisnt the next.  Here are five of my own examples of what dark elves don't have and wood elves do:

1) Monsters who can cast lore of light and heal themselves

2) 30" ranged shooting with no modifiers

3) 30" ranged shooting which ignores armour saves

4) Ambushing core fast cav with access to enchanted arrows (this means you are guarenteed to always get the first shot with the unit)

5) Access to lore of high magic

You may not have access to 4+ save fast core; however, we both witnessed how much that armour protected me from the trueflight arrows.  The chariot bounced off a flank charge on a unit of 3 treekin, and walk between worlds made the bunker unkillable.  Wood Elves aren't weak with their new book or with the current meta.  They have ASF as well, they ignore moving through forests (that's friggin huge) and you get to bring a free woods which nearly eveyr wood elf player will use the venom thicket (so now you have the potential to get a double curse and then the forest blocking your lines causes dangerous terrain tests and unts fail on a 1-2 as well).  The shooting is superiour to dark elves.

As a completely unbiased observer, I have to say MexicanNinja has a really strong point.  Just my two cents, totally unvested, no leaning in either direction.  Captain Objective, you might even call me.

NtK

PS: MN, Malekith says your efforts will be richly rewarded.  He told me to tell you that at last night's orgy of blood and stuff.

• Like 1

Powerful units/models will be rated appropriately.  Could a win-minded player bring lots of WRs?  Sure.  Assuming of course the rest of the list is not powered up as well and the whole thing gets rejected. But I can say with certainty that that would up the rating.  Perhaps substantially, depending on the list.

No, what I said was, "I'm not impressed with waywatchers".

Hang on, let me get that log out of my ear. :sad:

Well I think all the elves are going to be solid lists at all the up coming events. I know it's hard to judge an army's strength by looking at Raindog's games but after the two games I saw of his list that is going to be Meta changer.

Be ready for some MSU trouble.

having played against both WR, SoT and warlocks i think the warlocks are better than both WE units.  They have the survivability of the SoT and the offensive power(doombolt) of the WR.  I think the restrictions are spot on.

Play against a we list with 3 curse spells and tell me you feel the same. 2 from sisters and 1 from a mage.