Star Wars Legions - anyone play this game?

Brother Glacius

I have to admit that I have been sorely tempted to get into SWL. I am a huge SW fan and this game seems perfect. But, I have never seen it played, nor know anyone that actually plays it. Was hoping to get some insight and perhaps reviews from locals if there are any. The dark side is pulling me and I need to know whether to give in or not. 🙂

Also, do you need the starter kit? 

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Also, do you need the starter kit? 

The Starter box, either Empire vs Rebels or CIS vs Republic is definitely a good deal, although technically you don't HAVE to get it. I got mine because I was planning on playing Rebels (you get Luke and 2 units of Rebel troopers in the set) and I wanted to make sure I got all of the counters, measuring sticks (moving and shooting), dice and cards that I would need. I have heard of people who have bought one of the big sets ( Blizzard Force, Echo Base Defenders, etc.) and then bought cards, dice, measuring sticks and counters separately, but I think that only works if you plan on jumping into the game with both feet. I've made about a $200 investment in the game so far and I'm going to play a few games first before I make more purchases.

BTW, the Legions core set is $95.99 thru either Amazon or Miniature Market and you might find similar prices on eBay as well. That's about $24 below MSRP.

3 hours ago, Kevin the Wizard said:

@Ish is it the looks or the mechanics? If it's looks then you can always use proxies and there are so many 3D models out there built and scaled for legion.

I know bugger all about the mechanics of the game, beyond the very basics “Rebels are jack-of-all-trades types, Empire are elite, Clones are even more elite, and Separatists are horde-y.”

Aesthetically, it’s hard to top the Galactic Empire. But I just kinda feel like they’re going to be the “Space Marines” of the game. Over played, over pushed, and just kinda bland because of it.

I’ve got an idea in my head for an army that consists of Emperor Palpatine, a bare minimum number of Stormtroopers, and as many units of Imperial Royal Guard as I can possibly field. Because #PalpatineDidNothingWrong

It would cost about $150-200 to put together. 

Here’s what I threw together. I have only the vaguest idea what any of this stuff does. (Other than bring peace and stability to a galaxy long suffering under the oppressive heel of the Jedi.)

UNITS
- Emperor Palpatine (Burst of Speed; Force Barrier; Force Push) [ 220 Points ]
- Imperial Officer (Improvised Orders) [ 55 Points ]
- Bossk (Hunter; Targeting Scope) [ 115 Points ]
- Stormtroopers (FX-9 Medical Droid) [ 63 Points ]
- Stormtroopers (Electrobinoculars) [ 52 Points ]
- Stormtroopers (Electrobinoculars) [ 52 Points ]
- Imperial Royal Guards (Electrostaff Guard; Protector) [ 95 Points ]
- Imperial Royal Guards (Protector) [ 74 Points ]
- Imperial Royal Guards (Protector) [ 74 Points ]

COMMANDS
Ambush; An Entire Legion; And Now You Will Die; Coordinated Fire; Give In To Your Anger; Push; Standing Orders

• Like 2

Right now only @ImperialTrooper is playing Imperials. I really don't think that in this exact moment any faction is going to turn into our famous blue boys, but you never know. 

In my opinion, play the one you'd have fun playing with. I think that army list could use a little work after you see what they are capable of, so maybe start small and play some friendly games. Imperials are very good at the moment, but they did nerf some vader stuff.

I dont play rebels because I'm going to win every game. I really don't care if I lose. I'm just out here trying to have fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally taken the plunge and getting some stuff. Hopefully will have starters on Friday and then some more Separatists. Still planning on going Imperials as well, but for some reason the Roger Rogers got to me. Also, their box set is apparently a fantastic deal and well, I'm a sucker for a good deal. Will start reading the rules and hopefully will be able to join you guys at WoW soon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, daleroller said:

I have 4 800 point armies for Legion but still have not played a game yet. I may head up to Ordo game night sometime to see if someone can teach me how to play. It has been years since I have been to game night.

There are 4-5 of us that play Legion on Thursday nights 4-9pm. Any time you can make it up, one of us should be able to give you a learning game. 300 points is probably the best army size to start learning the game. 

• Like 2