Space Wolves Discussion - First Reaction

evil_bryan

Heh. Just noticed that Wolf Guard Battle Leaders have a specific option to swap a weapon for a Storm Shield for 25 Points. But they also have access to the Melee Weapons List, which allows them to swap a weapon for a Storm Shield for 15 Points :rolleyes:

Games Workshop, ladies and gentlemen.

Actually, that's not a mistake. That's a good bonus. (The Melee Weapons list is only for non-TDA models. Check his entry.)

"A Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator armour may only take items from the Terminator Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Relics of the Fang lists.

• May replace one ranged or Melee weapon with a storm shield…25 pts"

The difference is that the WGBL can swap EITHER weapon for a SS when in TDA. Normally, a TDA model can only swap their Power Fist for a SS (free btw), a WGBL can swap his Storm Bolter for one. This would allow him to get SS/Chainfist, for example, which other TDA models can't get anymore in the codex.

• Like 2

The terminator leaders get the shield for free. So you can buy a shield on your leader for 15 points...or get a guy in termie armor with a shield and a stormbolter for 15 points...

Yeah, SS is free if you swap out your PF. So you have SB/SS. 15 point shield is only for Non-TDA models.

Example, WGBL:

"May take items from the Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Relics of the Fang lists.

• A Wolf Guard Battle Leader may replace his power armour, bolt pistol, chainsword and frag and krak grenades with Terminator armour, storm bolter and power weapon…40 pts

• A Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator armour may only take items from the Terminator Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Relics of the Fang lists.

• May replace one ranged or Melee weapon with a storm shield…25 pts"

Notice that once you swap to TDA, you are restricted in your wargear. This is true of all the TDA swaps that I saw.

Grrr. I got all excited by the bit that just says that Wolf Scouts can select a Weapon from the Heavy Weapons List, rather than saying that they could take a Heavy Bolter or Missile Launcher. Not because it's particularly powerful, but because I have a Scout lying around that I converted to have a Multi-Melta toward the end of 2nd Ed, when that was an option, and was looking forward to getting to use him again. But then I looked at the Heavy Weapons List, and everything except the Heavy Bolter and Missile Launcher is marked "may not be taken by Wolf Scouts" :(

Got my first Game in with the new Dex. Suffered from a severe case of New Model Syndrome, with the StormWolf and all 15 Blood Claws getting blown up by a single snap-firing Plasmagun :P I also had my lead TWC Model go all Moon Moon and brain himself on a wall, turning an easy 5" Charge into a failed 10" Charge. But despite that, and some screwups on my part (including a target priority error that would have prevented the loss of the StormWolf), I only ended up losing 6-5, and it would have been a draw if my ThunderLord had made all three of the last batch of Saves he had to take.

The Army as a whole functioned pretty much like I wanted it to, tho (excepting those bits spontaneously exploding or tripping over imaginary invisible tortoises, of course), and I look forward to taking a variation of the list down to the Game Matrix tournament next weekend.

I was fairly happy with my results from the Tempestas Discipline, too. Tho largely, I think, because all my Powers came from the first half of the list. The second half all seem kind of underwhelming for WC2.

• Like 2