The Rising Tide...

sgt_smokey_bacon

I have had a Beach landing scenario rolling around my head for years. One issue I keep beating my head against, is a rising tide. I'd like to make it as cinematic as possible, and yet not spend more time moving miniatures than playing the game.

One solution that presented itself, is use plexiglass over cloth.  The miniatures are placed on the plexiglass playing surface while the cloth is pulled underneath, similar to the glass-over-tablecloth setup you may have seen at some restaurants. This method is probably the most expnsive, as plexiglass aint cheap.  I'm interested to hear others' ideas, and appreciate any input. 

Whereas this is an aesthitic issue I decided to post this in the 40K forum, as one of my main concerns is smoothness of gameplay. I also figure that more people check this forum than Artificiers Forge. Apologies if its in the wrong forum.

• Like 3

The simplest, but least aesthetically pleasing approach would just be to use a bit of string or something to mark the tideline. That could just be picked up and moved over Models with few issues.

The plexiglass idea is probably the coolest, but definitely spendy. Also has the bonus that you can use wet-erase markers and stuff to draw ongoing effects, craters, or whatever on the board.

ooooo you could do a sinking island scenario. At the start of each turn, roll a d6. That is how much the water has risen measured from the table edge. You keep track of the total distance each turn. In a 6 turn game, the average distance is going to be 21" leaving you a 6"x30" band in the center. That sounds like a hoot.

• Like 1

Rising tide bit assumes that neither side has transports that ignore terrain/water. Chimeras or skimmers would wreck the entire theme.

Anyway, the rising tide thing is a neat idea. I suppose if the visual wasn't needed, you could just declare terrain "levels" and have each turn raise the "tide level" which affected the table. Would be a lot easier, if visually bland.

For rules, probably want a "shallow" and a "deep" water level. Shallow is difficult (dangerous for non-skimmer vehicles), while deep is lethal. Game starts with only a few areas of shallow water. Then each turn, raise the level from nothing to shallow, shallow to deep. Shouldn't be too difficult or unbalancing if the zones affected are known ahead of time.

I suppose if you really need/want the visual, those glass beads for plants would look pretty cool. Just get light blue for shallow and dark blue for deep.

Good ideas all around, Thankyou Ordo!

Ideally, the defenders and attackers will be designated armies so as to lessen the rules kinks (skimmers and such). Admittedly, it is a D-Day scenario, but hopefully one with a different possible outcome. I have basic designs for landing craft laid out, as well as designs for obstacles, and basic mission objectives. I think for play-testing purposes the string will work great. I'm not too stoked on the planter beads, as sorting them when done sounds like a pain.

This planning is the beginning of what will hopefully become a full-fledged event taking place on June 6. I'd like to have multiple tables, each with it's own victory conditions, supplied miniatures, and table specific terrain. For instance, a Point Du Hoc table with steep cliffs, scaling equipment for attackers, and objective capture missions. I'm open to any ideas, and input from anyone that would find that kind of event interesting. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah man my IG would be perfect for a D-Day scenario. Just charging forward and dying by the droves.

IG attacking Space Marines is what I've been designing it around, however I have thought of replacing the IG with Orkz. Or Orkz attacking IG. It's REALLY in the beginning stages right now. I have been able to lock down designs for the beach obstacles and some scaling equipment in the last few days, but also realized that I need to start over on the landing craft (as my file got corrupted.) Orky landing craft would be easier to design and detail, but I seem to keep imagining these constructions as Imperial craft. It'll come together, but this is going to take a LOT of time.

Good ideas all around, Thankyou Ordo!

Ideally, the defenders and attackers will be designated armies so as to lessen the rules kinks (skimmers and such). Admittedly, it is a D-Day scenario, but hopefully one with a different possible outcome. I have basic designs for landing craft laid out, as well as designs for obstacles, and basic mission objectives. I think for play-testing purposes the string will work great. I'm not too stoked on the planter beads, as sorting them when done sounds like a pain.

This planning is the beginning of what will hopefully become a full-fledged event taking place on June 6. I'd like to have multiple tables, each with it's own victory conditions, supplied miniatures, and table specific terrain. For instance, a Point Du Hoc table with steep cliffs, scaling equipment for attackers, and objective capture missions. I'm open to any ideas, and input from anyone that would find that kind of event interesting. Thanks again!

So if a d-day mock battle, are the SM representing the Nazi defenders, or are you going to find a different faction to represent the racial "purists".....?

That's the General idea, Pax, but I'd like to stay away from phrases like "Nazi" and "Racial Purists." Any entrenched, well armed and armored force with shadowy motivations and secretive agendas would work. Perhaps the Defenders were trying to find an ancient Chaos machine, and had their own just reasons for occupying that portion of the planet. The attackers would know none of this, and see them as the Invaders. Dark Angels come immediately to my mind, but that's because I collect them. Using DA makes it seem a bit like the old "Battle for Koth Ridge" scenario from the 3rd ed. Dark Angels codex.

That's the General idea, Pax, but I'd like to stay away from phrases like "Nazi" and "Racial Purists."

Yeah...I probably should have not mentioned it. Was a bit iffy, given this isn't the realm of chaos.

Anyway, does sound fun.