Nuln Themed Empire Army

Greetings all,

I have recently found my old box of Empire models and I've been trying to make an army list with them. I've always had a strange obsession with gunpowder units in WFB, and my Empire force reflects that.

Here's my first draft list:

Lords
General 377
-Runefang, The Other Trickster's Shard, Full Plate Armor, Shield, Imperial Griffon

Heroes
Master Engineer 85
-Hochland Long Rifle

Master Engineer 85
-Hochland Long Rifle

Battle Wizard 125
-Lore of Death, Level 2, Dispel Scroll

Core
4x 20 Handgunners 720

10 Archers 70

Special
6 Pistoliers 108

2x Great Cannon 240

2x Mortar 200

Rare
2x Helblaster Volley Gun 240

Steam Tank 250

This is just based on the models in my collection, with only minor purchases or conversions required. I'm trying to make a fun list that can shoot the pants off my opponent but folds in CC... I think I have succeeded here!

The Wizard uses the Archers as a bunker. I only chose the Lore of Death as the model is an old school Death Wizard. The Engineers each sit between a Great Cannon and a Helblaster, giving out the re-roll bonus to whichever warmachine needs it most (likely the Helblaster).  The General has been mounted on a Griffon for two reasons: I have the model, and combat lords on flying monstrous mounts are one of the reasons why I started playing WFB. He'll probably never make it to combat, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Any suggestions? I don't want a tournament army or anything, I just want something that represents a defending force from Nuln and can give some good times while rolling dice.

I like the Idea of a heavy shooting Empire army, but I feel like you NEED something that can fight other than your stank and lord. If you had a large block of knights 10-15 with a BSB and a Priest for hatred and some static combat rez, this list would be way more consistent.  Knights are core, which would be helpful and allow you to drop HGs instead of WMs. 

• Like 1

I like the Idea of a heavy shooting Empire army, but I feel like you NEED something that can fight other than your stank and lord. If you had a large block of knights 10-15 with a BSB and a Priest for hatred and some static combat rez, this list would be way more consistent.  Knights are core, which would be helpful and allow you to drop HGs instead of WMs. 

I do have about 15 Knights laying around, and I was considering adding them. Cutting some Handgunners wouldn't be a big deal. Id there a recommended configuration for a unit of 13-15? I can make room for a character, standard, etc. Maybe a BSB in the unit?

Excellent, thats good news. As long as you have the models you can practice with both options to see whats going to be more consistent. 

I think 10 with the 2 characters for 6x2 would be sufficient to start, if you see them getting targeted early and feel like you need more, add 3 and go up to a 5x3 formation.  This is going to give you a consistent counter-charge in the center of your artillery barrage. I would put full command and both characters (priest and BSB) as they add buffs to the unit to make it more viable. WIthout the priest and the BSB this unit of knights will be half as effective, they really need the characters to add their bonuses (hatred, 3d6 break tests, re-roll).  

• Like 1