Nid thoughts

Hobbitron

We've talked at the store up here a few times about Tyrannofexes in Tyrannocites. They might be expensive, but dropping a T6 6W 2+ armor MC with a turret heavy flamer, and potentially a thorax swarm upgrade seems like a frightening prospect. Back it up with a couple flyrants and some gaunts for obsec, and you could have an interesting list. Haven't gone and actually built a list with these yet (though I should do so soon here to get a better idea).

But for 260 (Tyrannofex + Electroshock Grubs 185, Tyrannocite 75) points you get a heavy flamer with torrent (Tyrannofex), a S5 AP5 template with haywire (Tyrannofex), 4 S5 AP4 shots (Tyrannofex), 15 S5 AP5 shots (Tyrannocite).

You bring 12 wounds, 6 at T5 with 4+ save, 6 at T6 with 2+ save.

Bring three in pods to drop wherever you please, you can ignore cover, and post a pretty reasonable thread in assault to everything out there. Tyrannofex is I2, so he does go before fists/hammers.

I'm not saying it's a one shot thing, and doesn't really compete with Flyrants. But, viable enough to change up an opponents strategy for sure I'd think.

• Like 3

Btw, example list:

+++ Tyranofex pods (2000pts) +++

++ Tyranids: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (2000pts) ++

+ No Force Org Slot (225pts) +

Tyrannocyte (75pts) [5x Deathspitters]

+ HQ (480pts) +

Hive Tyrant (240pts) [Electroshock Grubs (10pts), Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Wings (35pts)]

Hive Tyrant (240pts) [Electroshock Grubs (10pts), Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Wings (35pts)]

+ Elites (195pts) +

Lictor Brood (50pts)

Venomthrope Brood (45pts)

Zoanthrope Brood (100pts) [2x Zoanthrope (100pts)]

+ Troops (545pts) +

Genestealer Brood (70pts)
····5x Genestealer (70pts) [5x Rending Claws]

Hormagaunt Brood (105pts)
····21x Hormagaunt (105pts) [21x Scything Talons]

Hormagaunt Brood (100pts)
····20x Hormagaunt (100pts) [20x Scything Talons]

Tyranid Warrior Brood (100pts) [Venom Cannon (10pts)]

+ Heavy Support (555pts) +

Tyrannofex (185pts) [Acid Spray, Electroshock Grubs (10pts), Stinger Salvo]

So that's 30 S6 shots, 5 haywire S5/AP5 templates, 3 S5 AP4 torrent templates. Then genestealers for infiltrating on top of objectives turn 1, and horms for claiming them turn 2 when the fexes drop in to draw fire. Zoans and warriors for some backfield synapse. Venom for some turn 1 cover, and a lictor in case you get lucky and he comes in and fexes don't (roll for him last so you have a better idea of where to place him) and if you don't need his pheromone trails, then just drop him on top of an objective to claim.

Edit: Cleaned up. Didn't take a look at how ugly it looked, sorry about that.

make sure you remember the change to the thorax weapons. MCs with thorax weapons are no longer able to shoot two weapons AND their thorax weapon. It is now strictly the MC limit of 2 weapons per shooting phase.

Yeah, thought about that. But the 10 pts to remain more flexible (especially with a lower model count army) seemed worthwhile. Dropping them from the flyrants might be more reasonable than the tyrannofexes. Since stinger salvo isn't too hot.

Shaun we have talked extensively about this and if you can make it work good on you. With that said here are my feelings on the matter;

Tyrannofexes are extremely over-costed for what they do. They are the most durable MC for nids but don't pack enough of a heavy punch to kill the units that matter. Lets Average it out and say that the most common army you will face will be Marines of some sort. Their base troop being equipped with a 3+ Armour save. Wounding on two's is great but unless your opponent is completely inept, you can only fit about 6 marines(they should be spaced out). On a good day lets just say the whole squad. I will let you do the math here, but 10 Marines. Wounding on twos then making 3+ saves, doesn't kill enough. Not to mention they are just Marines. My guess is your going to want to target the heavier hitters. Centurions? Well the math only gets way worse.

Trannies compared to Carnies. I will take those dirty, toothless alcoholics any day. Way better at offensive out put. T6 6W 2+ isn't really that hard to kill when you get down to it. If an army plays right and focuses fire than they can easily kill one a turn.

I kind of like the idea of the infiltrating genestealers however that is also an over-costed unit that dies way too easily to sit on an objective for one turn. The question I pose is...How are you intending to deal with the bane of Nids existence? Vehicles? 1 S6 shot vs. 12 S6 twinlinked?

In conclusion I only wish the Tyrannofexes were good. Man I tried. And genestealers. But no. It just wasn't meant to be.

Podding in two tyrannofexen was some much fun!

Their ap4 flamer is definitely more useful in the current game as xenos and their 4+ saves are more common.

The S6 will completely annihilate scarabs. Tau Pathfinders? Smoked!

The pod gives you the ability to camp an obj on the otherside of the board without getting shot up on the way there.

And the 2+ save is the only thing that can put up with mass interceptor fire.

I really wish they had better than WS3 and 3 attacks because they can be tarpitted and never get to shoot again.

Just some food for thought. Give them a try and tell us how they did!

Btw, example list:

+++ Tyranofex pods (2000pts) +++

++ Tyranids: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (2000pts) ++

+ No Force Org Slot (225pts) +

+ HQ (480pts) +

+ Elites (195pts) +

Lictor Brood (50pts)

Venomthrope Brood (45pts)

Zoanthrope Brood (100pts) [2x Zoanthrope (100pts)]

+ Troops (545pts) +

Hormagaunt Brood (105pts)

····21x Hormagaunt (105pts) [21x Scything Talons]

Tyranid Warrior Brood (100pts) [Venom Cannon (10pts)]

+ Heavy Support (555pts) +

So that's 30 S6 shots, 5 haywire S5/AP5 templates, 3 S5 AP4 torrent templates. Then genestealers for infiltrating on top of objectives turn 1, and horms for claiming them turn 2 when the fexes drop in to draw fire. Zoans and warriors for some backfield synapse. Venom for some turn 1 cover, and a lictor in case you get lucky and he comes in and fexes don't (roll for him last so you have a better idea of where to place him) and if you don't need his pheromone trails, then just drop him on top of an objective to claim.

Edit: Cleaned up. Didn't take a look at how ugly it looked, sorry about that.

I think I like it.

I think at best I would take 1 tyrannofex and 1 dakkafex. If you have the pod you can decide per game on which to drop in, but I have to agree with huggies01.  The Tfex is just too expensive for what it can do and gets tar pitted way to easy.  Against hordge lists, yes it would be amazing to have 2 Tfexs drop in with pods, but against anything else, you are wasting the points.  Plus against hordes, it is cheaper to field 3 biovores to drop large pie plates every turn, rather then risk missing 1 or 2 turns of flamery goodness.

• Like 1