Welcome to the Machine

AgentP

I gotcha.

I see what you are saying. Infiltrators aren't a very competitive unit.

Don't forget Plasma Oblits. :)

(Just so happened that this worked out for me against NV in our game.)

Don't forget also, tho, that I was running right around 800 points of Kastellans and they mostly just hung out and punched drop pods. They are a tough nut to crack, but did they really do 800 points worth of work?

It's not "they're T3 and thus worthless," because being T3 is only a minor strike against Vanguard/Rangers (and both of those are pretty good units.) The problem is that most of their defenses (FNP, W2, sometimes armor as well) are negated by very common weapons in the game, so you're effectively paying 35pts for a one-wound guy with a 4+ save.

Don't forget that building explosions are resolved at S6 ignores cover for the embarked unit.

I firmly agree with AP that issue is the multi-wound and FNP which are so commonly negated. Even there, if they were cheaper, it wouldn't be an issue.

No beef with T3.

I don't think Steel Angel has participated in AgentPs AdMech thread.  His knowledge is useless to me.

Survival Is Nothing Data Is All. No Knowledge is Useless.

So a 10 point Conversion Field Upgrade provides a model with a 4++. When the Invuln is passed the surrounding units test initiative or are blinded (ws goes to 1)

With Infiltrators Neurostatic Aura an opponents models suffer a -1 to initiative- so even marines have a chance of being blinded.

We were playing it as his Terms WS was now 1- but is the Neurostatic Aura associated with Infiltrators cumulative with Blind? Would the two affects push an opponents WS to 0?

• Like 1

Yeah, Blind is a characteristic-setting effect and is always applied last. Multiply or divide first, then add or subtract, then value-setting effects.

Blind is the one that looks awesome on paper, but the opponent is always immune or unaffected by it every time I try to field it in my army....

Well, it's not nearly as bad as Fear in that respect (Fear never works), but it isn't exactly reliable, no. However, when it does work- and it works against the vast majority of units and armies in the game- it's a very powerful effect; reducing MEQs to WS/BS1 can really change the flow of a fight.

Well, it's not nearly as bad as Fear in that respect (Fear never works), but it isn't exactly reliable, no. However, when it does work- and it works against the vast majority of units and armies in the game- it's a very powerful effect; reducing MEQs to WS/BS1 can really change the flow of a fight.

The only strong point on fear is that its passive. Yeah, the player has to remember, but you don't need to hit or wound, they just always test for it (or don't test). It still barely comes up, as almost everything is immune

The main application (and only time you should remember it) is regarding non-WS vehicles with fear. Vehicles are WS1, so a failed fear test by the opponent means they hit you on 4s instead of 3s. All super heavy vehicles have fear, and you can buff some things with fear too. This matters when the opponent sends their MB guardsmen or EMP firewarriors after your baneblade/imperial knight.

New DA Darkshroud, in example, grants fear and stealth to DA in range (including DA vehicles). Stealth is certainly the better, but fear is a good one to remember against some opponents.

Any competent player is going to have a Priest along with MB Guard, so they'll be Fearless anyhow.

I don't think that's fair. I mean, if the MB guard are regarded as a throw away unit, then not having a priest is entirely reasonable. It adds a kill point and some extra cost. And even there, the MB guard isn't what charge vehicles from the initial prospect, as the AM have much better AT options than that - the MB guard is for the more desperate AM player.

But anyway, I do think fear is good to remember for the vehicles that have it. It's a good one for some opponents, if you remember, even if the effects of a failed fear test are marginal defensive improvements.