Extralife 40k Tourney Sat Nov 7th @ Mythic Realm Games, Vancouver, WA

splinx

Ride Question: 

I'm on Bainbridge Island. I'd like to drive to Tacoma earlier and do some kind of ride share down to the tournament. Would anyone like to rideshare to Vancouver, WA with me? I have space in my Escape for 4 plus trunk space if others need rides with me. 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.6355455,-122.5298746/14313+NE+20th+Ave+a108,+Vancouver,+WA+98686/@46.7695605,-123.6707327,8z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x5495adf3268ad25d:0x1456271ae0c2c376!2m2!1d-122.650846!2d45.7250609

If I was anywhere near you Nato, I would. I love carpooling to tournaments, been doing it since 1989 in many parts of the country. Tons of fun chatting about games and getting to know other gamers!

But I live just a few miles from the store, so I can't help much. I hope someone else from up that way can!

Good luck!

-Tim

Just over 24hrs until the shenanigans begin. Everyone driving down to the event be safe and i look forward to meeting everyone and having a great day tomorrow at the store. 

Things to remember tomorrow. Respect your opponent, help them enjoy the game as much as possible and most importantly enjoy a few drinks, kick back and have a great time knowing you are helping out the local children hospital here in Portland. 

Cheers

Sam

Great event Sam, thank you for organizing it, arranging the tables, match-ups, etc.

I had a great time and greatly enjoyed all three of the games I played - even the beatdown I received in the first game. :)

Met some new folks and was able to put faces to some on this forum.

A great time all-around, Sam - Thank you!

-Tim

• Like 1

No worries Tim! Thanks to all for coming down and supporting a really worthwhile charity! We raised over $300 for the local kids miracle network hospital and I look forward to doing it again next year.

How did everyone enjoy the scenarios? Were they enjoyable? Too much?

Congrats to everyone who came a long and I hope you all had a nice relaxed day of gaming and fun using armies you may not of used before.

Thanks again

Sam

No worries Tim! Thanks to all for coming down and supporting a really worthwhile charity! We raised over $300 for the local kids miracle network hospital and I look forward to doing it again next year.

Congrats to everyone who came a long and I hope you all had a nice relaxed day of gaming and fun using armies you may not of used before.

Thanks again

Sam

My comments about the scenarios...

1 - Volcanic - I think this one was a bit too much. Roll a d6 for each unit not on 'safe ground', and on a 4+, each model in the unit takes a STR 5 hit. I am pretty sure that did more damage to my opponent than I did, and I know probably half my losses were because of it. It was really brutal. And the 'safe ground' was Dangerous Terrain, and that didn't help much either. LOL. The idea of 'dangerous' ground is pretty neat, but not at a 50/50 shot I think. My suggestion: Roll a d6 for each unit, but they are affected only on a 6. Then do the damage roll, etc.

2 - Defend the Artifact - This one was extra brutal because the two sides basically started 6" apart. That means whoever won initiative would have a pretty sizable advantage for charges, etc, and that's exactly how it played out. Like Volanic, I loved the idea, but still think both sides should start at least 18"  apart. Or maybe give everyone on the attacking side "Infiltration".

3 - Bombing Run - This one was the opposite of the other two - it had zero effect on our game. Since the blast marker starts on the edge of the table, you have about a 50% chance it's going to scatter off the table anyway. I'd suggest having the template start in the -center- of the board section that you roll... at least then it has a little bit more of a chance to scatter somewhere more dangerous. ;)

I loved the idea of home-made scenarios, Sam, and give you total props for designing your own. I have ZERO complaints, but am just posting my own thoughts and observations. Obviously others might have loved them, and of course there are plenty of scenarios I didn't get to try. :)

Just my 2 coppers,

-Tim

Thanks again

Sam

The Volcano mission definitely needed to be moderated.  Other than that I think they were all interesting and different.

My issues with the scenarios I played was that they all forced you to get really close to your opponent because of the deployment zones. I had a Defend one, then the Building one then the protect the relic building one. All had reaaaaally small deployment zones or no restrictions on how close you could get so I think I was in close combat on turn one on each game.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun, but guaranteed assault on turn one is ouchy. :)

Great feedback on the Scenarios guy thanks!

Tim - against your armies the volcano mission was pretty brutal and i realized after writing it that low S armies wouldn't be able to cope with it as well and you S3 guys could find it pretty brutal. I will address this for next year. As for the artifact mission i totally agree. Next year i will change to 18" minimum distance between armies. 

Pretre i think you of got the only 3 close combat style/based scenarios out of the 9 for the event. There were 3 dawn or war / pitch battle based ones and some others. I will tone them down slightly for next year and hope you get a bit more of a mixture. 

Pretre i think you of got the only 3 close combat style/based scenarios out of the 9 for the event. There were 3 dawn or war / pitch battle based ones and some others. I will tone them down slightly for next year and hope you get a bit more of a mixture. 

Oh, I don't mind that much. I planned on losing most of my missions, so I exceed my own expectations by losing all three. :)