BAO Thread

pretre

If you are joking, use smilies.

Does that really help you?

So which smile would you use to make it clear that what I posted was a joke? The little laughing face? Since you are certain that my comments are hostile at the ITC, even when I don't mention the ITC, wouldn't you conclude that the face was laughing at the ITC? And, thus, present to verify your conclusion that it was a jibe at the ITC?

I personally find the smilies confusing and rarely use them. They aren't very useful for adding clarity to a post.

Yeah they can't change how you determine an armies faction midway through.  They had a vote, people voted to stick to the standard methodology, but it comes up a lot so will get a new vote after the LVO.

Personally I think best faction categories  should get tweaked a bit.  Maybe something along the lines of what Adepticon does or a hybrid. Like best eldar requires no allies, anyone with a mix competes in a best xeno or best allied forces or somesuch.   

Saying "you can't get Best of X unless you run no allies" essentially means that only a handful of players will be in contention for the Best Of awards. Allies are a part of the game now and the vast majority of players are including them in their armies, whether fluffy or competitive.

Honestly, I think the GW ally table is poorly suited for competitive events. ITC, and other event organizers, would be wise to modify it to be more balanced for all factions.

Honestly, I think the GW ally table is poorly suited for competitive events. ITC, and other event organizers, would be wise to modify it to be more balanced for all factions.

I don't think it's good for balance, either, but the way the game is designed currently makes it rather impossible to ignore. You certainly could run a no-Allies tournament (and I've seen a handful advertised, though I've never been to any) but I think it would hurt your attendance a lot. Moreover, lacking allies, many codices have NO way to deal with certain strategies, which which means that a lot more games will be decided at the level of matchups and player skill will become less relevant. As much as I dislike the ally system for balance purposes, I think abandoning it in the middle of the river (so to speak) is a poor choice at this point.

• Like 1

I don't think it's good for balance, either, but the way the game is designed currently makes it rather impossible to ignore. You certainly could run a no-Allies tournament (and I've seen a handful advertised, though I've never been to any) but I think it would hurt your attendance a lot. Moreover, lacking allies, many codices have NO way to deal with certain strategies, which which means that a lot more games will be decided at the level of matchups and player skill will become less relevant. As much as I dislike the ally system for balance purposes, I think abandoning it in the middle of the river (so to speak) is a poor choice at this point.

I like the ally rules, I don't think the ally matrix is balanced at all for competitive events. I think it balances well for fluff and, as mentioned, for selling models.

Another on topic question for Captain A.....

I noticed on the Frontline site that Geoff played an army comprised of:

Cult Mechanicus

Skitarii

Imperial Knights

Inquisition

Blood Angels

I was under the impression that the ITC was limiting armies to 3 detachments or formations. This would be 5 detachments right? Or is there something in the army composition regarding Imperial Armies that I didn't see?

Another on topic question for Captain A.....

I noticed on the Frontline site that Geoff played an army comprised of:

Cult Mechanicus

Skitarii

Imperial Knights

Inquisition

Blood Angels

I was under the impression that the ITC was limiting armies to 3 detachments or formations. This would be 5 detachments right? Or is there something in the army composition regarding Imperial Armies that I didn't see?

War Convocation covers three of those.

Then an assassin and BA for Drop Pods.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/07/15/war-convocation-at-the-bao/

That's his list and battle reports.

The Mechanicus formation contains the Skitarii, Cult, and Knight for 1 detachment. The assassin is it's own detachment, as is the Blood Angels. That's 3 total.

Sigh....why bother limiting detachments if you let this sort of thing into the game?

So as long as the Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii, and Knight are taken in the War Convocation, they count as 1 detachment.

So if he had just combined the three sources, not taking the required models, then it would have counted as 5 detachments....

Ok that makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. 

So it's not necessarily a 3 source limit, it depends on the detachment they are bound too. 

Hey thanks for the clarification, appreciate it!

• Like 1