Forbidden Stars (Twilight Imperium in 40k Universe)

Wiring82

Has anyone else gotten a chance to play this?  My gaming group broke it out a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.  We played for almost 6 hours and I definitely want to play it again.  The 4 factions in the box are Ultramarines, Orks, Chaos, and Eldar.  They all play very differently, with a fairly steep learning curve, but with a really unique action token mechanic.  I like it better than Eclipse or Twilight Imperium.

If you have not seen it before:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/forbidden-stars/

If folks are interested in playing, message me and we can try and set something up.

I also have copies for sale:

http://www.hourglassgames.net/products/forbidden-stars

• Like 2

So how does it play?  Is it a turn-based mechanic like Twilight Imperium or does it do something different?

When you say you played 6 hours, was that one game?  Box says 2-3 hours.  Should I double that for a learning game or are they under reporting or is it just that there's enough balance that the game can drag on forever?

The learning definitely slowed it down.  I have not heard of people playing it in under 4 hours (at 4 players).  There was quite a bit of rules referencing going on during the first play (combat is basically its own deck and dice mini game).

It is turn based, but you get to place 4 action tokens in sectors on the board (each player places 1, then it goes to the next player and so on).  The actions are (move ships/attack, build/deploy units, research tech, collect special resources).  Each faction has a set of 2 of each action token (8 tokens total).  They are played face down on the board, so your opponents don't know which action it is.  As you and your opponents play actions in the same sector, the tokens are stacked.  Then during resolution, the tokens are resolved from top down.  Lot's of strategy with which order you deploy your tokens and playing over the top of your opponents to preempt certain actions.  Tons of fun.  The resolution of actions takes place in turn order, but if it comes to you and your tokens are all buried, then you are forced to pass.  Conversely, if you have multiple sectors with your tokens on top, you might take multiple actions before your opponents get a chance to act.

I hope that explanation makes sense, but it is just scratching the surface of the complexity.  It does not however feel like a pure euro (Eclipse- with its cubes and resource/score tracks), instead it plays closer to Twilight Imperium, but with the 40k theme that really comes though.  So infinitely better IMO.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

4 of us played Forbidden Stars on Labor day for the first time and had a great game. The order placing system keeps things interesting and each factions upgrades and powers were well suited to their 40k fluff. Combat was not very intuitive and that is where the most time was lost as it was a learning game for all. Everyone is interested in giving it another go and I'm looking forward to playing again soon.

• Like 2

The learning definitely slowed it down.  I have not heard of people playing it in under 4 hours (at 4 players).  There was quite a bit of rules referencing going on during the first play (combat is basically its own deck and dice mini game).

4 hours isn't really that long, not for the 40k crowd. That GG game night would start at 6pm and sometimes get out as late as 10pm for a single game of 40k